Sign in to follow this  
ctiger

FSX-SE Undeerstanding Error Message

Although I am not having any crash to desktop I have received the error message below installing FSDT scenery using the addon manager. This appears to cause couatli to work only sometime with the FSDT airports.  The folks at FSDT have been very helpful and state the message below is the possible solution.  Unfortunately for me I am not a computer guru and not sure what I need to do with the dll.XML file.  Should I just use Notebook++ and change the dll.XML file to ANSI or the first lines of the dll that reference encoding?

“\dll.xml error on line 1. Position 46: switch from current encoding to specified coding not supported.  This error file has been with an encoding that doesn’t match the XML header and it’s usually caused by 3rd party installation with bugs. It should be fixed by opening with an editor like free notepad ++ and save it back in ANSI format. “

Appreciate any help,

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Can you post the first few lines of the dll.xml file?   First 6 or 8 lines.

Sheldon "Bill" Williams

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to make an attachment to my reply. Tried insert other media but it would not work or take my attachment  So here is a partial of DLL.XML. If I can figure out to send attachments I could send you the dll.xml and exe.dll if needed.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Addon Manager</Name>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>E:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\bglmanx.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow.dll</Name>
    <Path>E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\Scenery

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Carl,

This is in the AVSIM CTD Guide.  There are many encoding problems with P3DV4 as Lockheed Martin wants everyone to use the add-on.xml.  The dll.xml and scenery.cfg are also encoded and, when they get corrupted, P3Dv4 'may' crash.  Not all of the time but periodically as P3Dv4 can evidently operate with some corruption. 

In the Addon Organizer from Lorby_Si, in the upper right hand corner, there is an encoding detector.  Click on that and it will tell you if you have errors.  It can become corrupted just by opening it up in Notepad (but not Notepad++).  When I get encoding errors, say the dll.xml, I will rename the one that has the corruption, restart P3D, and, if it is the default one in the same folder as the scenery.cfg, a new default dll.xml will be built.  I will then open up both the one I renamed and the new one in Notepad++.  When you do this, the configs will be next to each other.  I then copy the entries in the old dll.xml and paste them in the new dll.xml, save the new dll.xml and it will then be properly encoded.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello Carl,

Sometimes you can see an issue with dll.xml file by looking at the first few lines.  I've experienced this myself.

Follow Jim's advice and you'll get it fixed.

• Upvote 1

Sheldon "Bill" Williams

Jim, thanks for the reply and outline on what I should do. I can't believe I forgot about the CTD guide. It looks like I got my work cut out for me. 

Hey! Bill thanks for the encouragement.  Know doubt Jim is the Man.

You guys standby because I am sure I will have more questions.That's what makes AVSIM so great, there are always folks around for us guys that are not to Sharp in troubleshooting flight simulators.

• Upvote 1

Carl

Well I decided to delete the existing dll.xml and let fsx-se build a new one to compare. Started FSX and went to start up airport to develop the new dll. The difference of the two were almost similar. Decided to let FSX rebuild a new one again and now dll. does not show up in the FSX folder.  Does that mean there is now a problem with scenery.cfg.? I Followed the same scenario as before but this time no dll. showing up.

Carl

Hi Carl,

FSX-SE will not rebuild the dll.xml.  Only in P3D will the dll.xml be installed. The dll.xml for fsx-se is installed when you install FSUIPC or FSDT stuff so rename your dll.xml back from dll.xml.off to dll.xml.  I do not know why I thought you were asking about P3Dv4 but I did and gave you wrong advice (again).  If you deleted it instead, there should be others in the same folder as your fsx-se with titles like dll.xml before addon manager.  Just rename and remove 'before addon manager'.  If you do not have an extra copy in the folder, then download the FSDT Addon Manager or click on the FSDT Live Update and it will fix anything that is missing and make a new dll.xml with the Addon Manager entry.  The only other thing you will have to reinstall is Orbx's ObjectFlow and that comes with the Orbx Library.

I really apologize for the bad advice. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, that makes me feel better of why I was no longer seeing the dll. I have put back the new one that somehow was made in the FSX when I deleted the original (corrupted ?).  There were a few changes from "false to true" and also added the Module FSUIPC4.dll, which the original did not have. Still have the coualt problem with FSDT with the new dll.xml.  Started FSX used default startup FSDT loaded correctly, but when I changed airplanes Couatl quit working and only jetways were shown. Everything works with no problem with the exception of FSDT not working as it should "most of the time."

Ok I gonna go with your suggestion and see what happens.

by the way how do you change the dll.xml document file or cfg to just a xml file? Used Note++ but couldn't find under save a ..xml.

Carl

1 hour ago, ctiger said:

changed airplanes Couatl quit working and only jetways were shown. Everything works with no problem with the exception of FSDT not working as it should "most of the time."

This is a common issue.  Is it showing the Addon Menu?  Is Couatl in the Menu?  Try clicking on it and restarting Couatl.  This worked for me once.  Also, make sure the product is installed by looking in the Addon Menu and clicking on Addon Manager.  If installed and active, then try going to another airport via the menu and then back to the one that is not working.  If all fails, you will need to go and download the latest Addon Manager and install that.  Make sure you install with Admin Rights and also make sure you are starting up FSX with Admin Rights.

1 hour ago, ctiger said:

by the way how do you change the dll.xml document file or cfg to just a xml file? Used Note++ but couldn't find under save a ..xml.

In the folder where the dll.xml resides, you will probably only see dll but the xml extension is there.  So, when you save it via Notepad, you want to save it and not "save it as".  If you open up Windows Explorer where you can view your files on your drive, look up in the menu and click on View then look below that and click on Details.

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM

Ok Jim I have done most of what you suggested. 

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

This is a common issue.  Is it showing the Addon Menu?  Is Couatl in the Menu?  Try clicking on it and restarting Couatl

Since this problem I always check the menu to see if the Couatl and its componets are showing.  Most of the time after start up of default there is always Couatl showing. Then proceed to a FSDT airport and there is a 50/50 chance that airport will show up with Couatl sometimes in menu and other times no. Proceed to another FSDT and Couatl will not be present and FSDT airport is a mess. However in my case once it disappears no FSDT airport works. If only there was a way to start Couatl when it is missing in the menu would solve the problem at airport. 

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

make sure the product is installed by looking in the Addon Menu and clicking on Addon Manager.  If installed and active, then try going to another airport via the menu and then back to the one that is not working.  If all fails, you will need to go and download the latest Addon Manager and install that.  Make sure you install with Admin Rights and also make sure you are starting up FSX with Admin Rights.

Yes have always done this and all are active. The one thing I have not done is check for admin rights. I just reinstall the newest Addon Manager as you suggested previously and didn't get the message that started all this on my first post.  Unfortunately the problem has not been solved.  I have also uninstalled KCLT using the control panel and a reinstall had no problems. Went to KCLT and no couatl showing in menu and a mess on the field.

The dlls are showing dll and "XML Document". I thought it has to be "XML" in the FSX folder.

Jim I do appreciate all the time given trying to help me out. I will make sure using "Admin Rights" and reinstall Addon-Manager and start up of FSX-SE and see if that helps.

Kind regards,

Carl

3 hours ago, ctiger said:

I just reinstall the newest Addon Manager as you suggested previously and didn't get the message that started all this on my first post.  Unfortunately the problem has not been solved. 

At least that error msg seems to be fixed.  I did make a new dll.xml for you and e-mailed it.  I tried to post here but our site crashed for some reason (you're not the only one to get crashes) and could not post anything.  The site appears to be working normally again.

Make sure the exe.xml is also encoded.  It should look like the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
    <Descr>Launch</Descr>
    <Filename>exe.xml</Filename>
    <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
    <Launch.Addon>
        <Name>Couatl Scripting Engine</Name>
        <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\couatl\couatl.exe</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>

</SimBase.Document>

The exe.xml contains the Couatl module.

It is strange your dll.xml and exe.xml are not loading correctly.  I had issues with some FSDT scenery but not at the extent you are going through.  I have the FSX (boxed) version.  FSDT use to install their scenery in the FSX folder such as D:\FSX\FSDT\name of airport.  Now it is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\fsdreateam\name of airport.  FlightBeam puts their airports there too.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim, got a great Christmas gift this morning.  Was reading in FSDT forum last night and found someone who was having similar problems except he was using PD3v4. He was advised that GSX had to be installed for all to work. So this morning I installed GSX.  It looks like my problem is resolved. KCLT, KSDF, Kmen and all the others appear to be working  with Couatl reaming in the menu. Sure appreciated your help.  I learned a lot from you help.

Kind Regards and Merry Christmas.

Carl

Hi Carl,

I saw that too but my FSX showed GSX was installed when I went to the Addon Manager and checked to see if the sceneries and GSX were installed.  So had downloaded but did not have time to reinstall it because of Christmas activities. I will now try that.  Thanks for the heads up and glad you got yours fixed.  At least someone is going to have a Merry Christmas!!! :smile:

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

I will have a Merry Christmas too!  At KCLT I had some minor elevation issues around the edges surrounding the airport, especially around 18R but believe those are caused by my mesh/texture settings as I had lowered them for SeattleX.  Thanks again Carl!

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM