Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy Pilot

Does P3d v4 encapsulate each aircraft

I have noticed that each time I switch aircraft I have to go to the control settings menu and reset the buttons that I plan to use with that aircraft.  

I do not have to change them, just reinitialize them.      

Dale

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Gypsy Pilot said:

I have noticed that each time I switch aircraft I have to go to the control settings menu and reset the buttons that I plan to use with that aircraft.  

Dale

With PMDG aircraft, you can assign buttons via the FMC that will stick for that aircraft. Not sure about others, though.

Dale,

Your issue is why I've been using FSUIPC for some time now.

Yes, it's another expense and you have to learn how to use it. But, once you get past the arcane interface and understand how it works, it's pretty much indispensable.

Merry Christmas

• Upvote 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

3 hours ago, Gypsy Pilot said:

That should not be happening.
P3D assignments apply to all (excluding non-compatible third party) aircraft and assigning them should be a matter of "set once and forget".

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

7 hours ago, gboz said:

That should not be happening.
P3D assignments apply to all (excluding non-compatible third party) aircraft and assigning them should be a matter of "set once and forget".

gb.

Indeed. I don't use FSUIPC and haven't had problems with any of my planes (A2A, AS Airbus, Majestic Q400, etc.).

21 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

FSUIPC is the only way...as far as I know

The only way for what? I've flown lots of high quality addons (forgot to mention the PMDG ones) without ever using FSUIPC. FSUIPC could solve the OP's problem but he shouldn't have to buy FSUIPC for that. Something else is wrong, though I don't know what.

To create Controls for each Aircraft....I am not aware that I can set up that with v4 settings only in order not to go all over again. Or we maybe don't understand each other. I have set up, in FSUPC though, for each Aircraft all controls separately. Now not sure if we are talking about same thing..

• Upvote 1

Alex 

25 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

To create Controls for each Aircraft....I am not aware that I can set up that with v4 settings only in order not to go all over again. Or we maybe don't understand each other. I have set up, in FSUPC though, for each Aircraft all controls separately. Now not sure if we are talking about same thing..

Ah, ok, sorry, yes, if you want different controls for every aircraft then you do indeed need FSUIPC. :happy: I only fly one airplane for months so I don't need that option. But even if you fly several aircrafts FSUIPC isn't mandatory. I do think the OP also doesn't want to use different controls for each aircraft: he said he has to reinitialize them: he doesn't want to change them.

Maybe not, but I am not sure, but FSUIPC is definitely great tool for that at least.:ha:

Alex 

I guess something went wrong with my last v4 upgrade.  

I am a long time user of FSUIPC, but being lazy, I have not used it for control binding since I switched to P3d.  I have decided to limit my flying to only a few aircraft and I will go ahead and use FSUIPC to bind them.  As for the rest of my fleet, mostly pre1960, I fly them so seldom that it is not worth the effort.

Years ago I decided that I did not like the MSFS bindings so I changed them to bindings that I find easier to remember.  After 8 years of simming I now have a standard set of bindings that I use on all aircraft for basic flight control.  The only problem that I have had is avoiding keys that cause conflicts with other addons that I use, but that is an easy thing to do.

The v4 bindings that I have set do not change between aircraft but they have to be reinitialized with each aircraft change.  This is a new behavior and although it is a pain, I can live with it.  As I said earlier, I am going to stop flying so many aircraft and stay with one until I feel that I have mastered it.  My flying consist of mostly flying into small airports, canyon and river following and using backcountry strips.  I change aircraft to match my destination.

Your replies indicate that this is something that is unique to my computer so being a lazy man I will probably use FSUIPC as a workaround instead of spending the time to troubleshoot the code to locate the error. 

Thank all of you for your help.

Dale

Dale et al , if you want to have different setups for your AC in P3D , you create your setup and Export it , give it a name and next time all you do is Import it, you can create as many as you want , they are kept in C:\Users\aero\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files as an .xml file.

(great for when you have a crash and lose all your settings!!!))

Jorge

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

Maybe not, but I am not sure, but FSUIPC is definitely great tool for that at least.:ha:

Indeed it is. Apart from the buttons autosave is a real lifesaver. 

4 hours ago, aeronauta said:

Dale et al , if you want to have different setups for your AC in P3D , you create your setup and Export it , give it a name and next time all you do is Import it, you can create as many as you want , they are kept in C:\Users\aero\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files as an .xml file.

(great for when you have a crash and lose all your settings!!!))

Jorge

This is absolutely correct and works like a charm. I cannot believe so few seem to know about this, been working since P3D V3.3 at least.

I have specific saved controls settings (xmls) for all my aircraft, and that includes button settings. I also have FSUIPC, and this saving of XML controls files helps with the parallel use of FSUIPC to avoid double assignments.

Example - some aircraft may be very twitchy on the default trim assignment button - only has slow, repeat medium (which since FSX has been slow and then suddenly speeds up), and fast. So in the P3D profile for such planes, I delete the P3D elevator trim button assignments, save the profile with a name (like MilVIZ_Beaver_Otter.XML), and assign the trim button in FSUIPC instead. Then when I fly those planes, load up the scenario/plane, go to Options\Controls, select IMPORT, find my XML file for that plane, OPEN and go fly.

Great for changing from yoke controls (in my case Saitek Yoke) to joystick controls as well. So planes that have a joystick, all my Saitek assignments are deleted, and instead assigned to Logitech joystick (and visa versa for aircraft with yokes). Simply save and load up the profile as per the aircraft you are flying. IN P3Dv3 I had a very specific profile setup for helicopters, which contained assignments for my Saitek quadrant and Logitech joystick, excluding any button for trim, that was assigned instead using an FSUIPC offset address assignment with even smoother "stepping". Could still be used in V4, only waiting for the helos I use to be upgraded!

As @aeronauta said very useful for quick recovery of lost controls settings, but is also extremely powerful for specific mix-n-match with FSUIPC assignments so as to avoid duplicating buttons and axis assignments. It also allows for specific per-aircraft tweaking of assignments without having to worry about those affecting settings for some other aircraft (just remember when you make changes to the P3D control settings for the currently loaded plane to export the controls XML again, overwriting that aircraft's specific XML file).

For those without FSUIPC, using the per-aircraft XML controls-file method is really powerful and should be more than adequate as a stand in.

Only down side is say loading up a PMDG777 and forgetting the last plane you flew was the single engine Otter for which you had loaded its profile (P3D uses last imported profile as default control settings on re-start), and you forget to load the PMDG plane's control XML. One soon learns though ("now why is the no 2 engine throttle not responding and the spoiler axis is controlling engine 1?" - noticed during preflight of course! - "Oh I forgot to load the PMDG_TWINS.XML controls file". Simply load it, check, and carry on).

Rob

Robin Harris