Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy Pilot

Does P3d v4 encapsulate each aircraft

On 12/23/2017 at 2:44 PM, J van E said:

The only way for what? I've flown lots of high quality addons (forgot to mention the PMDG ones) without ever using FSUIPC.

When you switch from say a turbine twin to a piston twin or single, how do you go about setting up your hardware again without using Fsuipc ?

15 hours ago, Glynn said:

When you switch from say a turbine twin to a piston twin or single, how do you go about setting up your hardware again without using Fsuipc ?

Glynn,

You need to set up XML control profiles for the turbine twin, the piston twin and the single piston planes.

You would basically follow these steps to create unique profiles for each plane.

1) load the plane (for eg the turbine twin)

2) Select Options/controls from the P3D menu

3) Start with a clean slate by clicking Reset Defaults bottom left of the Controls UI. (Once you have some profiles set up you can import an appropriate xml controls file to use as base to start from - see later)

4) now go through the key assignments you want for that plane, assigning as you wish, and deleting unwanted assignments. When assigning buttons make sure you have the correct controller selected in the drop-down top center of the UI!

5) switch to Axis Assignments (bottom left pane). Be careful to select the correct controller from the drop-down at the top center of the UI. If You want to use more than one controller, make sure the correct one is selected for the desired assignments. You can mix-n-match, so say select a Joystick and assign elevators and ailerons, and then select your pedal hardware (if you have), and assign brakes and rudder axes to that. Just be careful if using many controllers that assignments are not duplicated for more than one controller. Go carefully with this step, but once done it is worth it, and will not have to be repeated again.

6) Once happy with all your assignments (buttons and axes, even calibrations), click Export at the bottom left of the UI, and give the XML file a name (by default these files are put in your Documents\Prepar3d Vx Files folder, but you can store them elsewhere if you wish by changing the path at the top of the Save As window that opens). So in this eg, save it as TURBINE_TWIN.xml if that is that plane you have just set up.

To set up another plane (say the turbine single), load that plane (best restart P3D), and repeat steps 1-6, only this time name the export XML file say TURBINE_SINGLE.xml. And so on for as many planes as you want to set up different XML profiles for.

Then when you want to go fly, say a twin turbine.

7) Load the plane, place and time, or open your saved scenario.

8) When all is loaded, go to Options/controls and click Import at bottom left of UI

9) find and select the TWIN_TURBINE.xml file you made in step 6 above. Once selected click Open at bottom right of the open file dialog

10) Click OK bottom right of the P3D Controls settings dialog

Go fly the turbine twin.

When you want to fly a turbine single, load it up, and repeat steps 8 to 10 (3 clicks!). If changing planes and you forget to load the correct XML controls file you will soon be reminded about your memory lapse! No problem, just do steps 8 to 10 as soon as you realize your controls are not behaving as expected.

Go fly the turbine single.

And so on for any other plane/setup.

At any stage if you want to change or tweak assignments for a plane or type of plane, make sure the plane is loaded, and you have imported the correct controls file. Then go to Options/Controls and make the changes you want. Click Export and select the file you want to change. It will challenge you that the file exists and do you want to replace it. If you are SURE it is the correct xml controls file and you want the changes to be made, click YES. Done

Hope this helps. Sounds like a lot, but many planes can share profiles, and if one gets into a habit of setting up these control XMLs for each new add-on plane you get, the first time you load the new plane up, it is actually easy.

Happy flying!

Rob

Robin Harris

19 hours ago, Glynn said:

Well, I don't. I only have a joystick and rudder pedals (plus the keyboard, obviously) so there is no need to change anything when I change planes. :happy: And besides, I like to do as much as possible in the VC itself. In fact, I only use two buttons on my joystick for elevator trim (up and down): everything else (apart from the obvious elevator, aileron, rudder and throttle) I do in the VC. (Trimming the plane with the controls in the VC doesn't work too well: everything else works perfectly fine.)