Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

Selecting Cores - SIMstarter

Hi Folks,

RE: P3Dv4 on a 2700K Sandy

Honestly - I have never paid much attention to selecting cores and such with my programs...

I see SIMstarter makes it very easy to configure this aspect of running programs...

Anyone have any suggestions on how I should set this up ? 

Programs I run: P3Dv4, AS4, ASCA, ChasePlane, RC4...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi Scott
You know that "every PC is different...." but I recently set my FSX:SE cores as follows below (I think that P3D might be a little different with regard to Affinity Mask settings) and, I tell you, I have a sim that's running smooth as silk and with a clarity like never before. I did a lot of trial and error with my cores, using Task Manager core activity graph monitoring to view the impact (I even put up a topic that Creators update wasn't so bad since it gave me time out to test all this!).

I run FSX:SE and I have an i7 6700K CPU: 4 cores - hyper threading enabled, i.e. I can choose from 0 to 7.

ASN:  core 7
Steam: cores 5 and 7
Track IR: core 2
DX10 Fixer: core 5
FSX:SE cores 0, 2, 4 and 6

Note that I start ASN from Run Manager rather configure as part of the Extended Settings page - that lets me keep it off the primary cores which FSX:SE can use. There's also a really good topic on Affinity Mask and cores which helped me: "affinitymask i7 7700k" by ronnay on 01 April 2017.

I'm not a PC expert so if anyone else spots a way to improve things from my settings then go for it - but, for sure, this works for me.

Will be good to hear how you get on with this and what works for you. Enjoy the trials and good luck.

Best regards

Rupert

On 24.12.2017 at 1:24 AM, CB_Pilot said:

Hi Scott
You know that "every PC is different...." but I recently set my FSX:SE cores as follows below (I think that P3D might be a little different with regard to Affinity Mask settings) and, I tell you, I have a sim that's running smooth as silk and with a clarity like never before. I did a lot of trial and error with my cores, using Task Manager core activity graph monitoring to view the impact (I even put up a topic that Creators update wasn't so bad since it gave me time out to test all this!).

I run FSX:SE and I have an i7 6700K CPU: 4 cores - hyper threading enabled, i.e. I can choose from 0 to 7.

ASN:  core 7
Steam: cores 5 and 7
Track IR: core 2
DX10 Fixer: core 5
FSX:SE cores 0, 2, 4 and 6

To avoid confusion in terminology those are Logical Processors not "cores" aren't they?

When you mention ASN which *.exe do you launch with Run Manager in SIMstarter? 

Thanks.

Just curious, why would you think Steam needs two LP5 and LP7 whereas ASN only one LP7?

Thanks!

Edited by Dirk98

57 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Just curious, why would you think Steam needs two LP5 and LP7 whereas ASN only one LP7?

You got me! That’s a really good question and highlights a mistake: I think Steam would only need the one LP.

I’m new to Affinity Mask settings so if you have suggestions for alternatives then please don’t hesitate.

Re. ASN and which “exe”: I’m not near my pc for a week but I know I simply followed the shortcut properties to the exe location and ran that.

Thanks for your interest and questions.

Best regards

Rupert

Just now, CB_Pilot said:

You got me! That’s a really good question and highlights a mistake: I think Steam would only need the one LP.

I’m new to Affinity Mask settings so if you have suggestions for alternatives then please don’t hesitate.

So am I, but I would give ASN more than 1 LP!

Thanks

Question from this novice:  How does one assign the various programs to specific logical processors?  Doesn't Windows assign them by default?

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"