Sign in to follow this  
DrumsArt

TacPack P3Dv4 released...

8 hours ago, Murfman said:

Sadly, I am unable to use this, as I have P3D V4 Pro, which is unsupported by VRS.  I understand the reason, but I don't agree with it. They have a professional package for very big $ to go with P3D Pro version. It would seem to me that the Pro Plus version would be more appropriate for their commercial offering. I strongly suspect that, because of this strategy on the part of VRS, many simmers felt forced to go with the Academic version who otherwise might have purchased the Pro license.

I personally won't go there, and as a consequence, am sorely tempted to reinstall FSX Steam and run it in a nearly default state to preserve performance, so I can use my several TacPack-capable aircraft in a non-toothless fashion.

Merry Christmas, all, and have fun using TacPack for V4 in the new year!😀🎄

Cheers,

Tom

This has been discussed a few times before. Think about what you are saying. TacPack is a combat simulator add-on. If it would work with the Pro version of P3d (which is to train real world pilots) then it would be being used to train real world combat pilots. That's also the goal of P3d Pro Plus (which BTW, "borrows" many of the concepts from TacPack and which predates the Pro Plus version). So logically, VRS charges the same amount of money for its combat pro training product as LM does. I even hesitated to respond, as these kinds of discussions always wander into time-wasting licensing dialogs.

The simple solution for me was to buy a P3d academic license in addition to my existing pro license.. That's what I did and I use it just for TacPack on an older PC. Had DCS been more advanced at the time, I probably wouldn't have done so.

Jay, you are obviously more informed that I about what's going on behind the scenes, or, at least, given it more thought.  BTW, I was deliberately trying to have this not turn into a license discussion, which of course is a no-no on this forum and others I regularly visit.

However, you have given me some words to chew on. For that you have my thanks!

Regards,

Tom

I wasn't directing the licensing statements at you personally, I just didn't want to see the thread get locked by the Mods.

On 12/24/2017 at 5:40 PM, kdfw__ said:

just got the p3dv4 f/a-18 w/ tacpack.  performance is better than what i had on the fsx version since p3dv4 runs better on my box.  

re few things i read here:

1. there's no 'without support' version.  all products are supported and you get updates from links in the support forum. 

2. dcs is good for what it's for but fsx/p3dv4 renders the whole world with realtime wx.  

3. tacpack is for launching ordinance and stuff but the biggest draw for me is the added advanced avionics/sensors (accurate radar modes, EO sensors, etc.) that makes flying fun.

without a doubt, one of the best a/c model is now on the x64 platform and grateful to santa for bring it this year. 

1. OJ thanks for that. But according to the Tac Pack sales site, it's $7.99 each year if you want to have "support". So I don't understand what they are getting at, except to get another $7.99 out of buyers? For heaven sake if you buy a program, support should be there regardless. But I stand corrected if it's free?

2. Agree, that's why I will probably buy it! 

3. Interesting that's what I wanted to know! So your radar will start working properly with Tac Pack! 

Now to research what's available in P3dv4 that has Tac Pack requirements!

Cheers

1 hour ago, charlie130 said:

1. OJ thanks for that. But according to the Tac Pack sales site, it's $7.99 each year if you want to have "support". So I don't understand what they are getting at, except to get another $7.99 out of buyers? For heaven sake if you buy a program, support should be there regardless. But I stand corrected if it's free?

2. Agree, that's why I will probably buy it! 

3. Interesting that's what I wanted to know! So your radar will start working properly with Tac Pack! 

Now to research what's available in P3dv4 that has Tac Pack requirements!

Cheers

1. product service packs for the same product are always available from links in the support forum.  if you want to download product service packs via the customer portal beyond one year, you'll need to have the 'extended download service' type of agreement.  if you have the p3dv3 version of f/a18/tacpack and want to take advantage of the discount to p3dv4 version, you'll get the full discount if you have a current maintenance agreement, less discount (minus $7.99) if you don't.  

3. TA/AA/GMT/MAP/AGR/SEA/FLIR are all supported.  ground mapping radar even models terrain masking. 

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

The pricing for existing customers of this company (VRS) is absolutely ridiculous and terrifying !!!!; and their products are not cheap at all but always stay the same more or less since years.

First product I've payed for was the TacPack/Supberbug Bundle for FSX (years ago); then I was forced to pay for quite the same product again, because I've transferred to P3D v3  (same Bundle for a much higher price and no saving opportunity at this time).

After reading their anouncement about their new pricing model for existiing customers,  I would have been forced to pay again a stiff price for quite the same product - in that case for P3D v4.

Experienced in different military sims I must come up with that P3D v4 at its current state will NEVER get close to be a military sim in the foreseeable future for private users, like other out of the box military sims which are already available (like FalconBMS, DCS, CAP2, etc...)

Instead of paying such a ridiculous price for this module (either Superbug or TacPack), its much more better to invest in DCS or - just my two cents - in Falcon BMS (which is almost free of charge and the most demanding Military-Jet-Sim today; NOT graphic wise but in terms of gameplay, strategy, skills; it's a full study military sim).

Best regard to all of you.

PS: VRS will never see my money again!!!

Edited by vgbaron
deleted inappropriate comment
  • Upvote 2

Can someone tell me if I buy the TACPack, is mid air refueling something I can do with the default F16 and F35 ? In other words the tanker is included? Also can I add and fire weapons to the default military aircraft? Thanks.

3 hours ago, KBUR said:

The pricing for existing customers of this company (VRS) is absolutely ridiculous and terrifying !!!!; and their products are not cheap at all but always stay the same more or less since years.

First product I've payed for was the TacPack/Supberbug Bundle for FSX (years ago); then I was forced to pay for quite the same product again, because I've transferred to P3D v3  (same Bundle for a much higher price and no saving opportunity at this time).

After reading their anouncement about their new pricing model for existiing customers,  I would have been forced to pay again a stiff price for quite the same product - in that case for P3D v4.

Experienced in different military sims I must come up with that P3D v4 at its current state will NEVER get close to be a military sim in the foreseeable future for private users, like other out of the box military sims which are already available (like FalconBMS, DCS, CAP2, etc...)

Instead of paying such a ridiculous price for this module (either Superbug or TacPack), its much more better to invest in DCS or - just my two cents - in Falcon BMS (which is almost free of charge and the most demanding Military-Jet-Sim today; NOT graphic wise but in terms of gameplay, strategy, skills; it's a full study military sim).

Worst is that we have to pay a fee for download 1 year support service to allow the system to make a discount (33%) over the full price. 

Not this time VRS.

Javier Rollon. Owner of JRollon Planes for Xplane

6 hours ago, KBUR said:

Agree with you 100%. Other developers such as Milviz, SimWorks Studios, Sim Skunk Works etc allow a user to purchase then CHOOSE during install which version of sim to install in. They do not charge again for what in essence is the same exact product. Shame on you VRS.

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3296/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/RTX 4060ti/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

There seems to be some major confusion here about what VRS did with regard to pricing. First of all, they have been supporting  and updating the FSX versions for free for years now with no additional source of income from the majority of their users, except if someone felt gracious and paid the nominal annual support fee, which entitled  the user to personalized support. VRS said for months that the transition to 64 bits would be extremely time-consuming and anyone who thinks that this was a trivial exercise is absolutely and utterly wrong about how complex it was to get working weapons and damage piggybacked on top of FSX, let alone rewriting everything for 64 bits. There IS a reason that LM charges thousands of US dollars for the Pro Plus version. And as I said before, LM had the benefit of observing how VRS made Tacpack work with FSX.

All that aside, go ahead and buy DCS. The V2 alpha is not cheap either once you start adding up aircraft and other content. And don't buy any of VRS's products. You'll never know what you're missing.

Must explain why Milviz, SimWorks Studios, Sim Skunk Works etc don't feel the need to charge again for 64bit compatibility.

Most of DCS is on sale now for 50% off. Something unheard from VRS.

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3296/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/RTX 4060ti/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

I totally understand that a developer when he has to work hard he may charge for that work. And I totally understand it because I am also am a developer for XPlane. It is my business, my way of life.

I have also not so many planes to sell. When I had to change from 32bits to 64bits I had to convert all my planes, and worked on that. And it was free update for everyone. When I changed from XP10 to XP11 I had to work a month to make the changes in each plane (and still work to do) to make them compatible. Even some new functionabilities, but the update was for free. Now I work in V2 versions of some planes and will add new functions, but I will charge to my costumers, but with a good reduction. You can pay the work done with lower prices also. More people will buy the planes if they are good and they will be happy, so that spreads the word and more costumers comes.

I also pay a web page that is not cheap, and I put free content to be downloadable by people. Of course each company can do what they want to do, but if I write here is because I own and paid for the FSX version, the P3D one, and they want me to pay for the P3Dv4 for the same functions that I had in the P3Dv3, but also more than 14$ for a year of downloads and support.

So if I understood correctly I have to pay 7.95$ x 2 (tacpack + superbug maintenance) = 15.9 $ to allow me the discount of 33% in the upgrade of the "new" P3Dv4 version of the superbug (it is needed to have the tacpack with the superbug), that is 99.94$ if I buy it in the bundle minus 33% (if applied to the bundle) = 66.96$

So I have to pay 66.96$ + 15.9$ = 82.86$ to update my P3Dv3 version that I already paid 82.42$ in a discount day there was 1 year ago. So we are talking about a 17% discount to old costumers that don't have an active subscription.......

At least remove the maintenance fee for old costumers VRS.

Javier Rollon. Owner of JRollon Planes for Xplane

I would have bought this if you could use it with a pro license. It’s a shame they can’t see past the fact that there are lots of non commercial users flying p3d pro. They seem to assume everyone who is a home user is buying academic.

Chris

OK, we've beat this one to death. buy it or not - as always - it's YOUR choice.

locking this now

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors