Sign in to follow this  
parachutem

50% OFF Holiday Sale! Chris Bell and Creative Design Studios Team.

During this Christmas week (24-31/12/2017) we extend our greeting with unprecedented discounts in our Shop
Don’t miss out on our Christmas Big 50% OFF Sale, going on Right NOW Click here to Shop! (limited time offer!)

https://shop.chrisbelldesigns.com/

to activate 50% off for Night Environment product line use coupon code    NE50OFF
to activate 25% off for Black Marble product line use coupon code             BM25OFF
to activate 50% off for Blue Marble product line use coupon code               BLUE50OFF

• Upvote 1

What is difference between Night Environment per country, Black Marble, and Blue Marble?

Also,  looking at Bell website does not tell me what file size is each of three softwares.

Regards,

Aharon

• Upvote 1

signCopy.jpg

Am I correct that a separate purchase is required for each platform? For example I use FSXSE and P3Dv3. I would have to purchase twice to use in each?

Hans Soule

Went to purchase blue marble for P3D v4:

1) Only option is 2-year support -- can't be turned off. Odd.

2) Can't add it to my cart -- or rather after I add it it says my cart is empty.

3) Can't sign up for the site (thought maybe would fix the cart problem). Sign-up form is showing up as a blank white space.

Guess I won't be buying!

James

I would still like to see blue marble in action. On a real flight. Not a space flight. I understand the idea behind this and I think it’s a great idea. But I have yet to see if it’s something that would make any difference at all in normal flight operations(FL300-FL410). Can anyone comment on that or better yet, point to or post a video showing it in action?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

46 minutes ago, klamal said:

I would still like to see blue marble in action. On a real flight. Not a space flight. I understand the idea behind this and I think it’s a great idea. But I have yet to see if it’s something that would make any difference at all in normal flight operations(FL300-FL410). Can anyone comment on that or better yet, point to or post a video showing it in action?

If there's very high visibility in the sim, at cruise altitude you will see the default lowest fidelity landclass for the planet displayed along the horizon. If you're using default landclass all around, you won't notice it, as it will blend with what's closer. However, if you're using replacement landclass (e.g. Orbx or UTX) there will be a mismatch as you look to the horizon. In general, the default landclass will be much browner/more desertlike than the replacement. I believe there's a demonstration of this on the site.

I can say for sure that this is an issue that I've personally seen and that's long been a minor annoyance. It doesn't come up on every flight, but on a clear day at high altitude it's quite noticeable in some parts of the world (especially Europe). That's why I was trying to get blue marble while it was on sale, without success...

As for whether the product successfully fixes the issue, I have no personal experience with it.

James

You do get to see large terrain features in Blue Marble i.e mountains looming in the distance etc. Here's a screenshot I made from a while ago showing a couple of snow capped mountains in NZ - sadly once I got closer, the landclass I was using had different textures with no snow IIRC.

2017-9-3_1-13-23-277.jpg

Here's another one, but at night over northern Greenland. I guess the scenery warps a little near the poles, so the line between FSX:SE scenery and BM is much closer:-

2017-9-11_23-52-34-369.jpg

Apologies, I thought I'd had more shots showing Blue Marble.

One other thing is the Blue Marble also has night textures so you can see the glow of distant large cities (NOT in any clouds sorry, but a texture on the ground). Now, your urban scenery may not reflect (pun intended!) such an expanse, but that's up to the particular developer.

Despite any mismatches I can see on my system, usually over the oceans - a distinct line between the Blue Marble blue and the FSX:SE blue, I'm happy that I got Blue Marble. I guess it's one of those add-ons which isn't "in your face" and immediately noticeable, but it just adds a little more. Hope this helps your decision either way.

• Upvote 3

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

On 26/12/2017 at 4:06 PM, honanhal said:

Went to purchase blue marble for P3D v4:

2) Can't add it to my cart -- or rather after I add it it says my cart is empty.

3) Can't sign up for the site (thought maybe would fix the cart problem). Sign-up form is showing up as a blank white space.

Guess I won't be buying!

James

I had these issues when attempting to buy Black Marble Vector.

The support issued disappeared as soon as I logged on as I had previously purchased the base pack.

All other issues were, in my case, caused by using Chrome. Using IE (which I personally detest) solved them.

Gary

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, garydpoole said:

All other issues were, in my case, caused by using Chrome. Using IE (which I personally detest) solved them.

Successfully bought it with Safari on my phone. I’ll report back once I’m able to test.

James

• Upvote 1

On 12/24/2017 at 10:40 AM, Aharon said:

does not tell me what file size is each of three softwares.

all packages installed together are around 16GB

• Upvote 1

The installer for Blue Marble Next Generation is 1.1GB. I don't have exact figures for the installation, but I think it is less than 2GB.

• Upvote 1

On 12/25/2017 at 0:47 PM, flibinite said:

Am I correct that a separate purchase is required for each platform? For example I use FSXSE and P3Dv3. I would have to purchase twice to use in each?

Yes!
our installers are per platform,
this is not an arbitrary decision; there are many valid reasons why we decided to venture this route,

On 12/26/2017 at 9:09 AM, klamal said:

many of you guys having a hard time placing Blue Marble's habitat,
there's a whole discussion over at our forums about it
https://forums.chrisbelldesigns.com/topic/289-blue-marble/
beside the complete year round high altitude textures;
we added a new none existing night layer to the default 12 months imagery stack for a total of 13!
you get a full resolution up to date globe and high altitude imagery; the same you see on google earth!

Blue Marble Standard is a 1:1 (LOD wise) replacement to exiting Sim High altitude textures - 456MB Installed
Blue Marble Next Generation (NG) is the full resolution of NASA's imagery - 1.3GB Installed

here are few images that will help you place Blue Marble habitat in general,

BlueMarble.Explained.jpg.365fb345f633e7d

3.jpg.3513983306d2bd16ad6b2341518a3351.j

4.jpg.994bd77c835a1bbf8a01775644ff015d.j

5.jpg.ce99fafd2521c820c51e6bf9245be953.j

On 12/26/2017 at 8:06 AM, honanhal said:

the 2 year support is currently locked during the holidays promo,
will likely remain locked or get embedded into the main title price,

56 minutes ago, Chris Bell said:

Yes!
our installers are per platform,
this is not an arbitrary decision; there are many valid reasons why we decided to venture this route,

many of you guys having a hard time placing Blue Marble's habitat,
there's a whole discussion over at our forums about it
https://forums.chrisbelldesigns.com/topic/289-blue-marble/
beside the complete year round high altitude textures;
we added a new none existing night layer to the default 12 months imagery stack for a total of 13!
you get a full resolution up to date globe and high altitude imagery; the same you see on google earth!

Blue Marble Standard is a 1:1 (LOD wise) replacement to exiting Sim High altitude textures - 456MB Installed
Blue Marble Next Generation (NG) is the full resolution of NASA's imagery - 1.3GB Installed

here are few images that will help you place Blue Marble habitat in general,

BlueMarble.Explained.jpg.365fb345f633e7d

3.jpg.3513983306d2bd16ad6b2341518a3351.j

4.jpg.994bd77c835a1bbf8a01775644ff015d.j

5.jpg.ce99fafd2521c820c51e6bf9245be953.j

the 2 year support is currently locked during the holidays promo,
will likely remain locked or get embedded into the main title price,

Yeah, I've seen these and to me, it makes total sense what Blue Marble does.  I like the idea.  But, just like Black Marble, I have serious doubts as to just how noticeable/worth it the product is.  In the few images I've seen of actual in sim shots, it to me again, just wasn't overly convincing.  It's another one of these products where we almost just buy it and try it is the only way to really know.  Because there just isn't enough info available to prove ahead of time that it's worth it.

I totally respect where you're trying to go with these products though.  I think you're down the right path and that one day, one way or another, I'll eventually see that "wow" factor that I need to to make the purchase.  Maybe not with the existing products so far but with enhancements to them or whatever you've got coming down the pipeline.  You're tackling a niche part of this hobby that I am very interested in having tackled.

• Upvote 2

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024