Sign in to follow this  
MattNeffer

Cen't get past Games for WIndows Live login

I haven't used MS Flight in a few years. The last time I did was after it had been abandoned by MS. There were no longer aerocaches, but I could still fly around Alaska and Hawaii.

Now when I try to start it up, I can't get past the GFWL login - it says "The program could not be signed into LIVE. There may be a network problem or the Windows Live ID service may not be available."

Is there any way around this?

Thanks.

You could install the Flight Toolkit which removes GfWL from the game. Your ingame profile is probably gone, though, because the Flight servers had been shut down long ago.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 4:52 AM, majuh said:

You could install the Flight Toolkit which removes GfWL from the game. Your ingame profile is probably gone, though, because the Flight servers had been shut down long ago.

That's what I did, works fine.

Well, I never responded back to this thread because when I tried running Flight a few days later, it worked, it automatically signed me right in, so I figured it was just some random glitch.

But tonight I tried running Flight again, and once again I can't get past the login. I found Flight Toolkit 1.1.31 and installed it. I'm not sure how to use it, but when I configure it for "non-GFWL," Flight does not run at all, it immediately displays an error message that says a dll is missing. When I configure the Toolkit for "Official GFWL" or "Unmodified," Flight starts, but again I can't get past the login.

So I'm back where I started. Is there something I'm supposed to be doing with the Flight Toolkit after selecting non-GFWL?

Which dll is missing? You are probably missing certain Visual C++ redistributables.

The error was The code execution cannot proceed because d3dx10_43.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem. This has to do with DirectX. I saw a post on fsdeveloper.com where someone else had the same problem with Flight Toolkit, and stonelance suggested a Microsoft link that would update the files, but when I tried that it said I already had the most recent version, so I don't know.

But, just like last December when I created this thread, after having my login fail repeatedly last night, tonight when I fired up Flight, my login worked. I've quit and restarted several times this evening, and have been repeatedly logged in. Thirty years in software QA has taught me to hate bugs that disappear for no reason. And what the heck am I logging into, anyway? Games for Windows Live is dead, is it not?

The GfWL servers are still up as far as I know. Even multiplayer should still be working. Uptime might be less than 100% though because newer games obviously don't use GfWL anymore, so I doubt they spend a lot of time on maintaining the servers.

Regarding the Flight Toolkit problem, you could also try this installer: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Interesting about the servers. I had no idea.

As I mentioned, I did attempt to run that DirectX installer, but it tells me DirectX setup has determined that a newer or equivalent version of DirectX has been installed already. No installation is necessary.

Edited by MattNeffer

I recently had problems running non-GFWL mode as well.  It doesn't actually use d3d10x dll, so I ripped out that code and it seems to be working now.  I will try to get a newer version of the toolkit out in the next week or two.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2018 at 1:41 AM, stonelance said:

I will try to get a newer version of the toolkit out in the next week or two.

Been looking out for this. Did it ever happen?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

These are my findings:

1- Installation:

a- Uninstall previous version.

b- Install new version "Installation Successfully completed" (works fine).

2- Running in Non GFWL configuration:

a- If Auto Login is on, it works perfectly.

b- If Auto Login is off, it doesn't work.

3- Running in GFWL configuration:

a- It works fine.

b- It should have "Alaska Addon map fix" activated.

c- "World" map doesn't work (but you can fly there).