Sign in to follow this  
pots

XP Public VR is out!

8 hours ago, Lenny777 said:

So far no one has even approached Aerofly in their implementation of VR in clarity, FPS, ease of use etc.

In native support yes(didnt try this XP11 Beta yet, going to try tomorrow) non native no, flyinside does a wonderful job way better that the native AF2 support, IMHO

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

4 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

In native support yes(didnt try this XP11 Beta yet, going to try tomorrow) non native no, flyinside does a wonderful job way better that the native AF2 support, IMHO

Flyinside does a very ordinary job. I have FI for P3D and XP10 and neither even approached AFS2 in clarity, FPS, and ease of use in the cockpit. Way off.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Downloaded the beta just now and had a quick spin. 

Here are my findings so far:

1. I had continous crashes untill i figured out that I need to uninstall flyinside for xplane first.
2. The cockpit scale seems off; its way too small. Unsure if there is a setting for it I can adjust.
3. My desk gets in the way of the hand controllers and thus making some items in the cockpit hard to reach and manipulate. Untill this is fixed XP VR in it's current iteration is unfortunately gimmicky more than something I could replace 2d flying with.
4. The pitch trim kept resetting to full nose down, even after being adjusted to normal range several times. I didn't figure out why, exactly, but a gut feeling is that it had to do with views - that moving my head around reset it to full nose down. Could be something else of course. [edit: this was caused by hardware issues that I now have corrected]
5. I spawned in at ENGM Oslo, Norway, and right now there is a snow storm there. The framerates were terrible even at medium texture and quality settings with AA set to 4. Autogen medium and reflections low. I will do some more experimenting with the gfx settings. 
6. I love the hangar, and I hope they develop some more functionality into it over time.
7. You cannot use the mouse inside the VR cockpit, which is a shame and a limiting factor. User choice is key here, and not being forced to use the hand controllers is a good thing. If I want to use them, fine, but LR should fix point #3. 

All in all: Great first try at VR from Laminar Research! *applause* This is the future of flight simming, and even with the faults listed above LR's implementation of VR so far beats everything else that is natively implemented in the line simulation department as far as I know (I dont do combat sims, so I couldn't compare it to those). 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Can't use the mouse?! Damn. I don't have the hand controllers and don't want them either...

2 hours ago, KTFO said:

Can't use the mouse?! Damn. I don't have the hand controllers and don't want them either...

You should...they are amazing on XP. The developers said mouse will be implemented though. 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Excellent results here so far. Much better experience than with Flyinside. I must point out that Flyinside did a great job given what they have access to, and they are pioneers, but as we could have guessed native VR is much smoother. The ugly shimmering with far trees and objects is mostly gone. Still some slight weirdness with the views manipulations, especially choosing the orientation.

I must say that I get a more correct cockpit scale than in AeroflyFS2, and the depth of landscape feels better. But maybe that's just me.

Cheers,

Pascal

Finally I can use my touch controllers in a cockpit! But... and this may be a stupid question... how do I brake without pedals or touching a joystick button or keyboard? 

May I ask for some opinions on how readable the text on the gauges/GPS screen, etc are?

Does one still need to "lean in" to read them and/or are we still pretty limited by the HMD resolution?

I can read the bigger, more basic information such as the speed and altitude without problems. Leaning eventually does not seem to be that problematic, at least for me. You can also move inside the cockpit using key-binds, if needed.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

2 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

I can read the bigger, more basic information such as the speed and altitude without problems. Leaning eventually does not seem to be that problematic, at least for me. You can also move inside the cockpit using key-binds, if needed.

It's no so much as "problematic", but I want to be able to fly IFR and keep the same scan I do in a real airplane, which involves glancing/looking and not moving head around much.

Thanks for the report.

The controllers work on default aircraft. They don't work on payware such as FF 757-300 etc. This is why mouse manipulation was necessary at the outset. But I understand it will be implemented. FPS is poor therefore it is necessary to significantly reduce your settings. I was getting 12-20 frames and it was completely unacceptable. Add WT 3, weather, and lookout. This clearly was not optimized.

I like the hangar and hand controller use in menuing there. That's a nice idea and works pretty well.

I want to emphasize again, AeroflyFS2 right now is the king of VR. I was flying the Dash8-400 starting from ORBX's new airport in AFS2, KMRY  and the views, graphics, interior functionality of the cockpit is just way better compared to any existing system. We're all waiting for ATC/Traffic AI, and real world weather but in terms of flyability it is the best.

i7-7700k OC'd 4.7 GHz,   Asus Prime Z270-A MOBO ,32 GB DDR4 Ripjaws, ZOTAC ampExtreme 1080 8GB,  Thermaltake Core V71 Case, Corsair H100i v2 liquid cooler, RM850xCorsair psu, ADATA M.2 2280 240GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WIndows 10 Pro, 2 TB Samsung and 3 TB WD HDs .

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

One thing I learned from my P3D/Oculus DK2 experiences is that VR is really really demanding on hardware. I'm patiently waiting for the days that XP11/12/13/ will finally be able to drive 4K VR at max to high settings at minimal 30fps with cutting edge CPU/GPU. I bet it will take at least five years. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

why wont the vr checkmark uncheck? i don't even have vr installed, i sold my vr headset a few months back and waiting for better resolution hmd's. 1080p is to bad for flight sim vr in my opinion, we need at least 1440p for it to look right.