Sign in to follow this  
pots

XP Public VR is out!

Few more comments after taking a flight in the Eclipse 550 from LOWI

First the good.....

It's amazing, it really is. I could feel myself getting a bit emotional sitting in the cockpit of this little bizjet soaring over the landscape. It's been said before about VR, but it's impossible to convey just how much it feels like you are in a cramped cockpit soaring high over the world.

When I think back to being a kid and getting interested in aviation and computer simulation, but having to use my imagination, I couldn't have believed what would become possible at home - for a cost, admittedly!

X-Plane will win hands down IMO because, assuming you've done your Ortho work, you are actually flying over countries how they look in the real world. I can't stress how important it is for me in flight simming to actually feel like you're travelling somewhere and seeing what it would be like if you arrived there in the real world.

I no longer want to fly somewhere and just see the same Orbx textures arranged in a different way, with the same featureless flat runway. That is no longer good enough for flight simming for me.

Now add in VR and the total package is somewhat mind blowing

Something else I really like is being able to switch in and out of VR, so you can depart and arrive with VR, but take the headset off (in a 3rd party a/c) and set autopilot etc. Obviously we need as solution to stay in VR and make changes to systems, but this will do for now.

It also means you can fly the cruise mainly in 2D and do other things, returning to switch to VR to go and sit down the back of the aircraft to do a bit of sightseeing.

Few downsides, beta related no doubt;

I'm getting a weird clipping on clouds - jagged holes appear meaning I can see through clouds from time to time.

The world is too small - we need that world scaling option that Flyinside has. It's like you're sitting in a toy plane

But overall, really impressed

• Upvote 1

Can anyone tell me if an i5 6600K and a 1070 (8gig) would be enough to run XP11 on a Rift? (Win7 64 Home with 16Gig)?

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

It might, but even on my rig I have to reduce autogen to Low and AA to FXAA to get a stutter-free experience on most scenarios.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Thanks.  Im not overclocking either.  VR sure seems enticing these days.  I may get a Rift and see what my system will do.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

44 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

It might, but even on my rig I have to reduce autogen to Low and AA to FXAA to get a stutter-free experience on most scenarios.

I think setting World Objects to medium (that will keep roads and lighting) and decreasing the Autogen draw distance via dataref (LOD_bias) gives a better result with the same performance. But there is certainly performance to be regained with the future releases of VR support...

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

How's the view in the distance when trying to make out runways and landmarks from afar?

Still pretty limited by the HMD resolution?

That's what made me quit P3D VR with Flyinside..

22 minutes ago, irrics said:

How's the view in the distance when trying to make out runways and landmarks from afar?

Still pretty limited by the HMD resolution?

That's what made me quit P3D VR with Flyinside..

That's one reason we need a zoom function. I use zoom on almost every flight in in regular 2D flying to spot a distant runway. I call it the "Chuck Yeager eagle eye cheat," to compensate for relatively low monitor resolution.

I'm often flying bush planes into non-controlled airstrips without being on an ILS glidepath, so acquiring the runway visually is critical. And X-Plane does a superb job of modeling features out in the distance without pop-in. So I hope a zoom feature makes it into the VR mode.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

I think setting World Objects to medium (that will keep roads and lighting) and decreasing the Autogen draw distance via dataref (LOD_bias) gives a better result with the same performance. But there is certainly performance to be regained with the future releases of VR support...

Thanks! I will try that. I assume I can use the Rendering Options App for that (Object Bias LOD)? It was at 1.5. I will try setting at 3.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

2 hours ago, GCBraun said:

Thanks! I will try that. I assume I can use the Rendering Options App for that (Object Bias LOD)? It was at 1.5. I will try setting at 3.

Well, a single line Lua script would do, too. Having more objects in close range is much better than having sparse Autogen extend further...

5 = Very Low
4 = Low
3 = Medium
2 = High
1 = Very High

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

10 hours ago, sightseer said:

Can anyone tell me if an i5 6600K and a 1070 (8gig) would be enough to run XP11 on a Rift? (Win7 64 Home with 16Gig)?

I have a 6850K at 3.6 Ghz and A GTX1080. Your 1070 will probably do as well or nearly well as my 1080 does and I would bet the 6600 will be Ok also. You won't max out but with orthotiles you really don't have to have a lot of autogen and in VR AA is not nearly as important as it is in flat screen. I run FXAA only in VR and it looks good, when in flat screen I had to run 8X+ all of the letters added toget rid of the shimmering. 

7 hours ago, Paraffin said:

That's one reason we need a zoom function. I use zoom on almost every flight in in regular 2D flying to spot a distant runway. I call it the "Chuck Yeager eagle eye cheat," to compensate for relatively low monitor resolution.

I'm often flying bush planes into non-controlled airstrips without being on an ILS glidepath, so acquiring the runway visually is critical. And X-Plane does a superb job of modeling features out in the distance without pop-in. So I hope a zoom feature makes it into the VR mode.

There is a zoom function click = (equals sign), on the keyboard to zoom in and the - (minus sign), on the keyboard to zoom back out. 

13 hours ago, wb5okj said:

I have a 6850K at 3.6 Ghz and A GTX1080. Your 1070 will probably do as well or nearly well as my 1080 does and I would bet the 6600 will be Ok also.

Thanks.  that sounds encouraging.  If nothing else, AFS2 should run well and XP11 will get better.

I'm also itching to try VR truck driving with ATS and ETS2.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5