Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

So far so good... just installed FSW Steam

I suspect the sale price will win over some more purchasers... like me! Sorry I'm so shallow! :blush:

Anyhow the download went well from Steam last night and I began the initial lessons. Impressive graphics (which we all know about by now). The Cub seemed to handle as this layman might expect. The install defaulted to mid high on the gfx sliders. OK until I switched to an external view on the lesson - SLideshow!! It seems reducing the scenery slider did the trick so far. Or was it my machine catching up with all the graphics? Should I have waited a few minutes?

All lessons completed, just need to complete the 3 hours free flight. Done one mission too - deadstick the Cherrytree into Liverpool. 

Any tips for what slider has the most impact on FPS and smoothness please?

Win7 64 bit ultimate

i7 950 @3.06GHz

24Gb RAM

2Gb nvidia GTX960

HDD only about 25% full :)

In it for the long haul now - pun intended - waiting for any tubeliners LOL!

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

It seems the AI slinder has the most impact for me and have heard this from others as well.

They are adding a biz jet, developed in-house, to the core sim... 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, switch686 said:

It seems the AI slinder has the most impact for me and have heard this from others as well 

Correct. Turn down the Traffic slider to the minimum. The nice thing is, this doesn't get rid of aircraft or boat traffic, just the road traffic (which is the performance killer). The AI, despite being very high poly models, doesn't seem to have an impact on performance as much as it used to.

For example the free Hawaii mission pack has high poly a320's with PBR littering the terminals at PHNL, yet my laptop didn't miss a beat. 

• Upvote 1

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

I suspect there is still some optimisation in the works to come with FSW, which would make sense since it isn't actually a finalised product yet in terms of content. In the meantime, one which definitely hits performance is having the weather sliders all the way up, since prior to trueSKY being added, it ran with pretty much everything on full throttle on my computer, but after the addition of that, I had to back things off a bit, in fact it eventually prompted me to build a new computer with a better GPU and a faster CPU plus faster RAM when that stuff was added, but the weather detail does still have an impact on frame rates even on my faster computer.

You might notice that the proximity of complex scenery slows things down a bit too, i.e. I can really make FSW chug when near EGCC since I have the payware UK2000 Liverpool and Manchester installed in it, whereas for many of the missions and lessons away from such scenery add-ons, it flies along no problem.

An interesting one to note with FSW is that on one of the missions - the one where you have to deadstick the Piper Cub into an airfield in some mountains after it runs out of fuel - I initially had to have a few goes at it to do it successfully, and how I did eventually manage it, was to go online and look up some figures for the real Piper Cub, notably best deadstick glide speeds and most efficient climb speeds for distance when the engine is running. When I followed those real world figures, I made it in to the airfield easily, so that does tend to point toward the Cub having a pretty realistic flight model.

• Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks guys. Just taken the DA40 single from Liverpool to Blackpool - Hopefully the aircraft lights will illuminate the ground at sometime in future updates. :cool:

I feel a little naughty - need to go back and fly some FSX:SE now LOL!

• Upvote 2

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

2 hours ago, HighBypass said:

I feel a little naughty - need to go back and fly some FSX:SE now LOL!

There are few things in life which are as satisfying as a guilty pleasure - and compared to the rest, FSW is as safe as houses! :laugh:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HighBypass said:

Thanks guys. Just taken the DA40 single from Liverpool to Blackpool - Hopefully the aircraft lights will illuminate the ground at sometime in future updates. :cool:

It's in their plans for sure. Stephen Hood stated they chose not to fix right now to bring something better in the future. Probably they will bring some kind of real-time light.

And as the others already stated, the biggest performance killer right now is the A.I. Even the A.I. aircrafts have PBR maping and cars have shadows and stuff.

• Upvote 1

On 12/25/2017 at 0:55 PM, Chock said:

An interesting one to note with FSW is that on one of the missions - the one where you have to deadstick the Piper Cub into an airfield in some mountains after it runs out of fuel - I initially had to have a few goes at it to do it successfully, and how I did eventually manage it, was to go online and look up some figures for the real Piper Cub, notably best deadstick glide speeds and most efficient climb speeds for distance when the engine is running. When I followed those real world figures, I made it in to the airfield easily, so that does tend to point toward the Cub having a pretty realistic flight model.

Did the same thing for this mission.  Landed with fuel left over. 

Now to get that pesky Winter is Coming Achievement when icing makes your Cub fall out of the sky.

• Upvote 2

I'm also enjoying FSW as is while looking forward to its future.  This without any guilt.  

• Upvote 2

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

One question - how do we know when updates are out? Does FSW flag it up when you start the program, or do we get emails, or both? Thanks.

Mark Robinson

27 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

One question - how do we know when updates are out? Does FSW flag it up when you start the program, or do we get emails, or both? Thanks.

Updates are usually released on Thursdays. If you're logged out of Steam when you launch FSW, Steam will download and install the update automatically and then give you the option to launch FSW.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Tim. :cool:

Mark Robinson

I've owned it since mid summer. I logged less than 7 hours. I would say that I was "optimistic" that I would eventually like FSW. I stuck to FSX:SE for a while, and just tried it again for the first time yesterday after a few months not even firing it up. I must say, the current version is a pretty darn good starting point. I just flew a PA-28 (or is it a 26?) in a snow storm, and it was pretty darn terrifying. The snow and rain effects are incredible. I noticed that nearly all of the fuses on all of the panels in all of the the aircraft work. The systems are working better, and I've had a couple of very enjoyable flights. FPS has stayed mostly around 29-31, but I haven't tried any really busy areas. 

I'm thinking that it will end up giving P3D a run for it's money. DTG has the luxury of being able to make it's simulator an entertainment product. LM is bound to the more serious side of things. I want a very realistic simulator with some very entertaining and fun things inside of it.  I have zero concerns about the realism of aircraft in FSW. They hit the mark 100% with the default aircraft. Payware aircraft will be additions to the default fleet, not replacements for it. 

My only concerns are the overall look of it at the moment. It's got a funky tint to it, and and the gamma seems out of whack so I believe that they will tune it up a bit before they release it.

But yes, I agree. So far, so good. 

• Upvote 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

28 minutes ago, MDFlier said:

My only concerns are the overall look of it at the moment. It's got a funky tint to it, and and the gamma seems out of whack so I believe that they will tune it up a bit before they release it.

It is a realistic hope that this will be fixed. But they must first put in place the entire foundation (updated trueSKY, lighting, PBR, etc.). Dovetail recently stated, quote:

We’ve got a lot planned for 2018, including IFR implementation, expanding the core fleet of aircraft, improving the look of the world, live weather and my own personal pet project, improvements to ATC, to name just a few.

I think - "improving the look of the world" -  will be a big step forward.