Sign in to follow this  
brucets

Is My C Drive Kaput?

This is a new high end PC. Outside of the I7-7700k running hot it was performing fine. I tried to boot up a few days ago and got this screen -

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=29E8FB6466879FCD&id=29E8FB6466879FCD!704&parId=29E8FB6466879FCD!104&o=OneUp

When I put the W10 disc in the drive I got this -

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=29E8FB6466879FCD&id=29E8FB6466879FCD!706&parId=29E8FB6466879FCD!104&o=OneUp

The bios doesn't show the 500Gb SSD boot  C drive either. What gives??

Bruce

Check the physical cable connection to the drive to be sure it is secure (at both the drive end and at the PSU).  If it is, the SSD may have failed.  I might have had more insight, but your images do not show up when I click the links.  OneDrive says the images are no longer there. 

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

16 hours ago, brucets said:

The bios doesn't show the 500Gb SSD boot  C drive either. What gives??

If all the cables are good and you still have the problem you could try resetting the BIOS to default values. If that doesn't help, try this from someone from another forum who had the same symptoms as you:

First, go to the Security Options of the BIOS and disable "Secure Boot" 
Next go to the Boot section of the BIOS and:
- Disable Fastboot 
- Enable CSM (Compatibility Support Module) - this will allow the BIOS to see other bootable drives (for some reason it kept being disabled when I restarted, that's why it couldn't see my SSD)

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

8 hours ago, brucets said:

Images show up when I click on them!???

Hi, Bruce.  I bet you see them since you are on your own LAN and logged in to your OneDrive account when you click the links. There may be an issue with your share settings.  Here's what I see when I click the links (link).

Does my OneDrive link work for you?

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Gent's -

I'm really not comfortable messing around in the case, or even in the bios for that matter, though I have done it. I tried to hook up a third drive(ssd) a few months ago and I thought I had it done right, but it didn't show up either. The tower is now boxed up and I will send it to Micro Center in CA. I bought it in late August and this is the 2nd time I'm sending it in for repair. I simply don't have any knowledge or skills when it comes to PC hardware. I wish one of you tech dudes lived next door -- I'd pick it up, I'm sure; but I'll never try to dig it it out on my own. I've read overclocking guides and that scrambles my mind! Same with so called study level ac. Just not going to happen! In the 60's my next door neighbor, in Denver, taught me to fly fish and I got pretty good at it. For the next 40 years I never failed to catch fish. That never would have happened had I not had him for a neighbor!!

Doug, I thought the same thing after I replied to you -- it's my One Drive on my machine. The image posting rules said to choose the BBC(?) option to embed, but my One Drive didn't offer that option so I just copied the address link. No, I couldn't access your One Drive. I saw a message that said, "This item does not exist or is no longer available." There was a drawing of a bicycle above that.

Bruce

49 minutes ago, brucets said:

Doug, I thought the same thing after I replied to you -- it's my One Drive on my machine. The image posting rules said to choose the BBC(?) option to embed, but my One Drive didn't offer that option so I just copied the address link. No, I couldn't access your One Drive. I saw a message that said, "This item does not exist or is no longer available." There was a drawing of a bicycle above that.

Bruce - Thanks for the feedback on my OneDrive link.  I've posted a question in the "Screenshots" forum to find out more information on sharing pictures from OneDrive.  Seems like it should work fine, but I can't seem to crack the code.

Update: Of course this has to do with the forum's requirement for BBCode.  I completely overlooked that.  OneDrive doesn't offer BBCode link capability, so it won't work.  A pity since all my photos are stored there. However, sharing OneDrive links works like a charm via email.  

Edited by dmiannay

Doug Miannay

1 hour ago, brucets said:

Gent's -

I'm really not comfortable messing around in the case, or even in the bios for that matter, though I have done it. I tried to hook up a third drive(ssd) a few months ago and I thought I had it done right, but it didn't show up either. The tower is now boxed up and I will send it to Micro Center in CA. I bought it in late August and this is the 2nd time I'm sending it in for repair.

Bruce, are you the guy who's i7 wouldn't turbo due to heat issues?

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Yes, Charlatan, that's me! Actually Micro Center turned off the turbo feature and told me it was Intel's advice not to overclock the I7-7700k because of the heat situation with that chip.

Bruce

Hey Bruce

That sucks mate.  I can't believe they told you that re the 7700K.  That's the whole point of the K series chip, and now the SSD has died.

Seriously bud, I would be harrassing them for a refund, or at least some compensation.

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Yes, I agree-- pretty weak! I did do some research and they were right about Intel making that statement. However, I am not a study level type simmer and maybe the stock HP will get the job done. Up until this latest mishap it was running fine and didn't seem to need the extra grunt. So I have not turned the turbo feature back on -- yet.

I talked to Micro Center Tech Support at their main location in Columbus, OH yesterday and they said that because the 500Gb SSD boot drive was actually 2x250Gb SSD's in a Raid config that it was highly unlikely they both failed at the same time, so more than likely the problem is with the Asus Z270e board. Anyway it's going back for the second time. The shipping is about $230!

Bruce

1 hour ago, brucets said:

Yes, I agree-- pretty weak! I did do some research and they were right about Intel making that statement. However, I am not a study level type simmer and maybe the stock HP will get the job done. Up until this latest mishap it was running fine and didn't seem to need the extra grunt. So I have not turned the turbo feature back on -- yet.

I talked to Micro Center Tech Support at their main location in Columbus, OH yesterday and they said that because the 500Gb SSD boot drive was actually 2x250Gb SSD's in a Raid config that it was highly unlikely they both failed at the same time, so more than likely the problem is with the Asus Z270e board. Anyway it's going back for the second time. The shipping is about $230!

Bruce

Are they paying for it to be shipped?

UKV6427

Only the return shipping, but I will write a letter to their corporate HDQ on that! We'll see what the end result is.