Sign in to follow this  
ster100

question about AI traffic

First, I have x-plane 11 for 2 weeks, so many is new for me.

What is ai traffic? 

In x-plane 11 I would like to install some ai traffic. (I read nice things about it).

Is in this site a tutorial about how to install AI ?

ster100..welcome to the world of X-Plane. AI traffic is kind of iffy in XP11. There are many great add-ons to get. Where do you fly and what types of airplanes mainly, GA or Airliners? The reason I ask is, that you can get World Traffic 3 or X-LIfe mainly for the Airliner flyer if that's what you like to do. If you fly GA and not in a major city then maybe adding your own down the road with a program like WED will be good for you. What I mean by all this is XP11 allows you to customize most parts of the program. It a learning curve that will take you months to fully understand and longer hopefully since Larimer is always changing/improving the program. I don't know your history with flight sims, but XP11 is like going to an Ivy League school compared to a community school - (I say that with all due respect to FSX and others. I spent 20 plus years with FSX till converting full time to XP).  Enjoy the flights and keep us posted on your progress.

One thing I do find very lacking in X-Plane is AI traffic. I'm not serious into real world air-liners etc. To me some random traffic in the sky making me feel less lonely is good enough and for that purpose I have to say FSX/P3D's AI traffic is doing a far far better job than XP11. So far I haven't got similar good solution in XP.

XP's own AI traffic tanks fps unbelievably, making me wonder what the hell is wrong with Laminar programming: how could possibly adding five or six AI aircrafts in the sky cost me 30% drop in fps? Come on. 

I also bought World Traffic 3. It seems to be a working program, but it requires you to generate ground routes every time you run into an airport without routes and the problem is that 99.9% of XP11 airports are without ground routes. Even though I only need to generate ground routes for each airport once, I found the process frustrating and tiring. I really think WT3 should come with ground routes generated for all the airports in XP11, given it's an automatic process by WT3. Plus I don't like that at the beginning of every flight I have to open WT3 window to manually spawn traffic. All these steps should be automatic and set-and-forget. 

Another issue with WT3 is that it hits heavily on fps around big airports, to the point that XP11 can totally freeze and stop/go for minutes. If you're seriously into flying air liners, all these troubles may be worth it. But I mostly fly VFR plus playing some fun with VOR/ILS etc, just not worth it. 

I'm relatively new to XP11 too, so I'd appreciate to know other good and easy solutions for AI traffic in XP11.

• Upvote 1

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Austin is working on the AI as it currently sucks, even too the point that developers can provide an ai version of there planes to be used as AI, lets hope we get more.

disable ai traffic and buy world traffic 3, it works extremely well and you will have a ton of planes in game.ai traffic uses actual flyable planes and can cause frame rate issues.also look at my post in this thread..