Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

Which anti-virus do you use?

Webroot!

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

I use Malwarebytes and windows defender. Been years since I had any PC viruses!

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

1 hour ago, dmiannay said:

... at least none that I know of

And therein lies the problem, particularly if you use no antivirus or don't update it regularly. Not all viruses or malware have a noticeable effect. I have a friend who opted not to use antivirus and claimed he hadn't suffered as a result. When he sent me an email which contained a virus, I finally convinced him to install one and it found, amongst other things, a key logger which was (obviously) designed not to be noticed. It took him quite some time to change all of his passwords, logins and bank cards. If your system never connects to the Internet and never has USB storage devices plugged in which have been used on other systems, then having no antivirus or out-of-date virus signatures is probably not a problem. However, for how most of us use our systems I think that the risk is too high.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I have the windows 7 operating system and use MSE, malwarebytes (free edition) or superantispyware (free edition) randomly. Before I create a backup image I always run CCLEANER and at least 2 of the programs mentioned. These programs rarely find anything but are easily quarantined.

Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

ESET for me for the past too many years to remember.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

54 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

And therein lies the problem, particularly if you use no antivirus or don't update it regularly.

Hi vortex.  I appreciate your informed post on the ills of inadequate AV protections.  Hopefully you noticed the small *wink* emoticon after my statement... it was a bit tongue-in-cheek.  I do care and keep Defender updated daily.  My browsing habits are conservative, which is a huge part of the problem for many folks these days.

Again, appreciate your detailed post.  Happy New Year!

• Upvote 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I will be done with these commercial AV suites in a few months when my Bitdefender subscription runs out.  I've never had more issues than I have had the past year+ with these stupid things.  They flag everything as a virus or malware and I have reinstalled P3D twice due to a huge Webroot problem where it deleted a bunch of critical P3D files earlier in the year and now Bitdefender is causing me one headache after another.  I will be going back to using Windows Defender as I never had a single issue with it.  I will also likely run Malwarebytes as that seems to be a pretty good program. As someone else mentioned on a different thread the modern AV programs are viruses in and of themselves!

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

2 hours ago, dmiannay said:

Again, appreciate your detailed post.  Happy New Year!

Sorry, I was just using your comment as an opportunity to vent about poor antivirus awareness! Happy New Year to you, too.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

ESET for many years now.

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

Only using the built-in Windows Defender (or whatever it's called) in Windows 10. Haven't had any issues... I agree with @dmarques69 - if you know what you're doing and have your head with you (and don't click on any links/emails you don't know what is) you should be fine. 

In my personal experience, the AV/FW products in general are more an annoyance than actual help. If you're an enterprise or corporate entity, I can see the idea of some kind of unified solution (which can be controlled centrally)...

But for the general end-user computer I don't see the point. The disadvantages far outweigh the benefits, in my experience.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Only option I use is at the network level, nothing at the OS level.  Never a single problem in 11 years.

Greg

I have both ESET and Malawarbytes.  Do I need BOTH?

Stan

16 hours ago, spilok said:

I have both ESET and Malawarbytes.  Do I need BOTH?

You don't necessarily need both but, as they protect against different things and operate in different ways, you're better off with both. I have Bitdefender and Malwarebytes and they coexist well and have no noticeable performance effect on my sims.