Sign in to follow this  
Alexa1591

ILS landing occasionally coming in to steep

Wondering if anyone can help? I've followed the guidance in this video and I find the plane lands correctly about 70% of the time. The other occasions I end up crashing as the autopilot has brought me down too steep. What can I do to resolve this and what am I doing wrong on those occasions as from what I can gather I'm following the same procedures. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums. Please note that PMDG requires that users include a signature block with the user's name (first and last) in all posts in the PMDG forum.
Failure to include a signature will result in removal of the post without comment.

We strongly encourage users to set up a signature block in their AVSim user account, then you never have to worry to remember in the future!

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

12 minutes ago, Alexa1591 said:

Wondering if anyone can help? I've followed the guidance in this video and I find the plane lands correctly about 70% of the time. The other occasions I end up crashing as the autopilot has brought me down too steep. What can I do to resolve this and what am I doing wrong on those occasions as from what I can gather I'm following the same procedures. Thanks in advance.

suggest  to put  in support  ticket  in sure  they  will get  you   fixed

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

As this is almost certainly not a defect with the NGX a support ticket isn't really appropriate. Following a tutorial is all very well, but each approach is different and weather effects can upset the best laid plans. You need to monitor what the sim is doing and correct it when things start to go wrong. The FMS and AP aren't perfect and you may need to intervene. Also this tutorial is quite rushed in places and things aren't fully explained.

Without knowing what the indications are when the autopilot brings the aircraft in too steeply it's impossible to give specific help. Is it capturing the ILS correctly? If not check the ILS frequency and course corresponds to what FSX requires. Is airspeed appropriate for the ILS?

Basically we need to know what is going wrong compared to what the tutorial indicates. Screenshots would help, but as a minimum a description of what the FMA is showing is needed.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Whilst the information on that tutorial is essentially correct, it is somewhat rushed in some aspects and I think there are better tutorials out there (see link below for some excellent ones).

There are a few less than ideal practices used in that tutorial you've used, which whilst not in themselves actually reckless, are nevertheless not conducive to setting up a good stable approach in a timely fashion, so I would not personally recommend that tutorial as a good choice for learning things correctly.

Whilst it's not unknown to be turning fairly late for a localiser intercept to an ILS approach when ATC are trying to 'squeeze you in in front of another aeroplane', the likelihood of them doing that for what will be a high category landing is, I would say, unusual and probably not a great idea from a safety standpoint, so it's hardly the ideal situation to turn into a tutorial. You can see that it results in some less than ideal actions proving necessary to make the landing happen, notably having to stick out the spoilers to get the speed and altitude down quite late in the proceedings (which can result in an uncomfortable experience for passengers). If you are having to do things like that to get your landing set up when well within 15 miles of the airport, it indicates that you didn't plan your descent very well.

Similarly, whilst you can indeed intercept the glideslope from above, this too is not ideal as not only can it involve requiring a bit more than ideal negative pitch to get 'in the pipe', which again can be uncomfortable for passengers, but more critically, coming at the glideslope from above can result in the nav radios picking up false bounced duplicate ghost signals of the glideslope which would be at a steeper angle, admittedly this is not common, but it can happen which is why it is usually recommended to come at the extended glideslope signal from a bit further out so you fly up into it rather than having to pitch down into it because you turned onto it too late. As is almost always the case, a good landing is the result of a good approach.

That's the trouble with youtube tutorials, whilst it is appreciated that people do them out of the goodness of their heart and with the intention to help, good intentions are not an indication of a tutorial being the best or most correct way to do things, and to be honest, I would say that if you've been going at it based on that tutorial, it's not surprising you are having trouble.

Take a look at this channel instead. These tutorials are far better, having been done by someone with well over 4,000 hours on the real 737:

Decent 737 tutorials

Anyway, welcome to Avsim and Happy Landings!

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here