Sign in to follow this  

Setting up Samsung 4K UHD monitor for 30/60Hz 8/12bit color

Thought I'd share a quick setup video (for games/sims) for my recent addition of a Samsung 8500 series 4K UHD TV/Monitor.  I was somewhat surprised the Samsung didn't configure itself for the best possible mode for PC operation by default (out of the box) and buried away the most critical settings in their menu system.  I know many are having issues with 'lag' at 30Hz refresh, but after using my Sony XBR 4K, LG 4K, and now this Samsung 4K (all at varying price ranges), they all were able to operate at 30Hz or 60Hz without any 'visual' issues and with excellent image quality.  I also cover some of the Samsung HDMI "Black" options that can make a significant difference, especially for night flying.

Due to how the Samsung onscreen settings work, I had to record some of this video externally with my 4K camera (at night so color is not representative of actual image) as the OSD settings wouldn't capture to my Magewell video capture card since those overlays are generated by the TV/Monitor itself. 

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

Thanks for the video., especially the tip on turning on the HDMI ports for 4K res.

I originally bought my Samsung 50 inch 6300 series to be my computer monitor but moved it to the living-room to be a TV. While it was a nice picture, it was not a great picture hooked up to my FIOS box. Now that the HDMI 4 K ports are turned on, wow the picture jumps off the screen.  I wonder why the factory does not turn these on at the factory? If it were not for the X-plane menus being so small I can barely see them with a magnifying glass on that 4K set, I would move the 50 inch back to the computer and try it again.

Side note about the 30 vs 60 Hz part of your video. I tried X-plane 11 at 30 Hz on my 40 inch Samsung 5200 series 1080p which is now my computer monitor. At first the flicker of the 30Hz bothered me as I only see in mono vision. (one eye) The video while seeming kind of washed out was super smooth with my GTX 980 on a stock i7 4790 system.Now I can crank up all the sliders to the right except the AA which I stop at x4. Also it seemed liked some of the aircraft textures/dirt really stood out too.

All of this from just watching your test report .

Thanks

Terry