Sign in to follow this  
hjwalter

Cuban shorelines problem

Hi all ye scenery experts,

I've been using Toni Aggramont's ground scenery for the whole Cuban island for years, without ever noticing any problems. I also have mesh for the whole island and some separately downloaded airports. Great country for VFR low and slow flying.

Nothing has changed in my installation of this scenery, except for me adding some extra EZ objects at airports/airfields here and there, especially trees and some other statics, in order to make them look less "out in the open" and barren.

However, during panning around Toni Aggramont's Mariel airfield (MUML) I noticed that the Northern coastlines West of Havana City, were suddenly straight and blocky, while nothing has been added or changed to the scenery basics for as long as I can remember. When checking further, also along Southern coastlines, I found the same thing, not everywhere but only along certain stretches of coastline.

Looks like one or more of the basic HLnnnnnn.bgl scenery files are missing or have somehow become corrupt, but..... which one(s) ? Is there any way of getting insight, at least into possible missing "HL" files containing the Cuban coastlines ?

Any default basic scenery files, which were either automatically replaced by scenery auto-installers or via manual installation instructions, have through the years, all been de-activated and saved within the same main default scenery folder. Temporarily re-instating these default "HL" files, only for the testing of my problem, makes no difference whatosever. I therefore conclude that one or more of these "HL" files must be missing, but which one(s) ?

Any help would be very much appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Merry Christmas to all.

Hans

The LWMViewer 1.4 shows you the  used bgls. Load Fs9, go to the airport and load LWMViewer.

In LWMViewer click FS2004 - Follow...

Thanks hgschnell,

I've never heard of this program but have just downloaded it and am very inquisitive as to what it can do. Will try it tomorrow and will report back.

In the meantime I've done many tests, amongst others, temporarily renamed the NAME/scenery folder and re-installed the default version from CD # 3 in it's place. No difference.

De-activated all my third party Cuban scenery, including it's island wide mesh, no difference.

De-activated all my third party USA, Bahamas, Caribbean and South American sceneries, no difference.

It now turns out that the problem concernes a North/South band of land across the whole island, including some islands South of the Cuban mainland. It begins just West of Toni Aggramont's Havana City and continues in width Westwards but I havn't been able to really measure how wide it actually is. I estimate that it's around 15/20 Nm.

Thanks again.

Hans

I suppose there is another scenery interfering, perhaps far away.

Your way to isolate the scenery is the best way to find it out. I have Toni's Cuba (and some more freeware sceneries of cuba) installed and no problem in this region.

Hgschnell,

I installed the LWM viewer program, positioned a random plane along one of the straight parts of the North Cuban coast and gave the program a shot. Not much to see on the displayed map though but far more important, a list containing five BGL files, which are evidently active in the area, was also produced and .... big surprise ...... they were part of the NAMC folder and not the NAME one. On top of that, these five files were de-activated, most probably by some auto-installer many moons ago. An easy restore was made and suddenly .... PRESTO......my normal Cuban coasts, were back.

Thanks very much Hgschnell for pointing my nose in the right direction.

Hans (Netherlands)