Sign in to follow this  
Dale H

Say again...

"Calculate Safe EnRoute Altitudes- Pilot2ATC can calculate minimum en-route altitudes for your flight plans.  However, this takes some time and if you’re flying long distances at high altitude, there is no value in this, so check this box.  If you’re flying at low altitudes, in mountainous terrain, uncheck this box so you get this added safety check.   When checked, Pilot2ATC will add the Minimum EnRoute AGL altitude (set elsewhere) to the highest terrain feature for each leg of your route as the Minimum for that leg."

I am confused about this. If I am flying at low altitude and want the calculation do I check or not?

16 minutes ago, Dale H said:

"Calculate Safe EnRoute Altitudes- Pilot2ATC can calculate minimum en-route altitudes for your flight plans.  However, this takes some time and if you’re flying long distances at high altitude, there is no value in this, so check this box.  If you’re flying at low altitudes, in mountainous terrain, uncheck this box so you get this added safety check.   When checked, Pilot2ATC will add the Minimum EnRoute AGL altitude (set elsewhere) to the highest terrain feature for each leg of your route as the Minimum for that leg."

I am confused about this. If I am flying at low altitude and want the calculation do I check or not?

Yes, if you are flying a flight plan that is at lower altitude through mountainous terrain in a GA aircraft, then you would want to check "Calculate Safe EnRoute Altitudes" to keep ATC from making you into a lawn-dart, but this would not be necessary flying an airliner at flight level altitudes. 

At high altitudes it would just slow down the software with unnecessary calculations.