Sign in to follow this  
Neume

What PTA settings are the main performance killers?

Hi,

I purchased PTA today for P3D V4 and have had to lower my settings in order to gain good frames.

The settings I have now look fine and perform fine, but when at altitude - the cloud shadows do reduce performance by 5-10fps. I could easily live with this; but I do feel as if I am not getting the best out of my sim, as I used to run higher settings with higher performance.

If anyone cares to share some settings within PTA (or even the sim itself) which are culprits of reducing performance, it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S - I use Pilot Pete's (he made a youtube video on PTA/Reshade/URP settings) PTA preset - and he has a much better system than me, so possibly I just need to try a completely different preset.

(My specs are: i5 7500, GTX 1060 6GB, 8GB RAM, Win 10)

Thanks,

Luke.

Hi Luke,

Welcome to AVSIM!  Perf loss depends on your settings IMO, one that I have started shying away from is Vsync in P3D, I find that I experience smoother flights without it.  Don't rely on frames, make sure that you have good perf before adjusting anything.  Have a look at the Prepar3D guide over on the right side of the page.  I too use Pilot Pete's settings without reshade.  I have found that PTA does not affect the smoothness of my flights.

• Upvote 1

\Robert Hamlich/

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the tip! I have turned vsync off in the sim and changed it from 1/2 to 'Use the 3D appl...' in nvidia inspector and now I have went from 27-30fps locked at 33; to 30-40fps unlocked with no vsync.

Thanks again,

Luke.

Hi Luke,

That's great! I think Vsync does cut the frames in half. As long as it is smooth throughout the flight then you have the makings of a winner.  I haven't used nVI in a while, might give it a try.  LM has done a great deal of work to optimize the sim, just be careful with tweaks, they may do more harm than good.

• Upvote 1

\Robert Hamlich/

Dynamic Lighting and Shadows are also FPS killers. It sucks when you have to turn the Dynamic Lighting off, but it really does help a lot.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, cleonpack93 said:

Dynamic Lighting and Shadows are also FPS killers. It sucks when you have to turn the Dynamic Lighting off, but it really does help a lot.

Yeah I  notice dynamic lighting is fine - that's until I load up GSX and all the indivdual vehicle lights really drop the FPS, so turning it off does help.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi,

even thou this topic is two years old, just to say that PTA does affect frames to me. I dont have vsync, vsync i put it on via nvidia settings together with triple buffering, disbled in the sim, plus the frame fraction buffer down from 0.33 to 0.1 in config file

anyway, with PTA I was getting max 22 fps in airport areas. Uninstalled it completely restoring original shades and all scenery and effects files from stock and fps jumped to 55 fps

nvidia GTX 1060 3GB p3dv4.4

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.