Sign in to follow this  
Guest amtran752

Illeagal UseOf Freeware

Is the following true? Is it a continuing practice?The unauthorized placement on some sites of the work product of authors, who do not charge for the use of such product, continues. This link http://www.gjsmith.net/ will take you to a site where the author is taking a stand and attempting to establish a foundation for action against the predatory actions of some flight simulator sites. While the product produced is free, to place that product on a site that charges for access, or premium access, is a violation of the intent of the author unless specifically authorized. These sites continue to flourish as users of these sites contribute to this immoral, if not illegal practice. Unfortunately, many of the users of these sites are unaware of the practices of the owner of the site who directly profits from the work of others without compensation to them.There are periodic outbursts of virulent condemnation of these activities but they fall on deaf ears. The owners of the profiting sites are simply insulated from criticism by their own defective personalities. They simply do not care. They,in most cases, do not have a conscience or moral standards that rise to the level of the general population. Many others would be emotionally hurt if they were attacked as often, and in a way that expresses strong disgust. However,do not have normal reactions and cannot internalize criticism in a meaningful way.This site http://www.gjsmith.net/ has created a possible model. Unfortunately, the cost of legally pursuing this villainous bunch will allow them to continue their practices. The responsibility for managing situations such as this falls upon legitimate sites who have an interest in sustaining the flow of free software for their audiences. Dick Boley @KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

correct. Garry has been facing this issue lately and is now taking a stand. I am on his side and find it unacceptable that some FS sights make you pay a nominal fee to gain access to their downloads, which infact are freeware files, that come from authors like garry. Garry works closely with my V.A, transload airlines. I have spoken to him on several occasions. Garry, IMO, is doing the right thing by trying to put a stop to such sites that make you pay to gain access to freeware files for FS. They are simply making money off freeware. Something should be done, and im glad garry has decided to do something about this.:):-wave

Hi Dick, and Chase,Unfortunately it is very true there are several sites on the net which openly and persistently publish product that they do not have permission to do so. In some cases they persist even after a developer has requested removal of his/her files. These sites hide behind ambiguous domain registration and false e-mail addresses and hidden ownership. Several fail to provide a forum or any other method of support for the product that they distribute without authorisation.These sites also hide behind the guise that they are not profiting from the Fees that they charge to provide "enhanced" access - which is an outright falsehood - If they generate income from the services they profess to provide and reduce the cost they are purportedly paying for those services from their own resources then they have indeed made a profit from these services.It is a two fold insult to developers - one, publishing and filling their sites with products without developers permission, two, using that product to help increase their volumes to make their "pay for privileged access" more appealing to the visitor.They are publishing product that have clear and concise EULA's and readme files that prohibit them and other unauthorised sites from distributing the said product.I have already fought off several threats of Defamation by these sites and have assisted some major forum administrators in the guidelines in relation to these threats made to them as well from some of these sites.As a clear guideline - it is not defamation if the statements can be substantiated and in every case I, my legal representatives, and many others have sufficient evidence to justify the statements and facts about these sites.I have clearly listed the sites in my forum that are known to breach the developers rights to choose their distribution points and will continue to do so until their abuse of developers and international laws cease or their site is shut down.The important thing is that we keep up the public pressure on these sites and wherever possible help educate new simmers to the practises that exist at these sites.All three sites now have apparently removed most of my files but there are many more files by other developers on these sites without consent of the developers so I will continue this public campaign until it is resolved successfully to the satisfaction of all developers.Thanks for your input on these issues and lets keep up the pressure so that developers can continue to produce product for our enjoyment without the aggravation generated by these sites.Regards and happy simming.

I would also like to see legtimate sites rise in support of you and other programmers and artists. It is in their best interest to sustain the creative community. Without that inflow of material a significant segment of the overall Flight Simulation environment will wither and so will the interest of those who frequent the legitimate sites.Microsoft also has a strong reason to insure the continued flow of freeware. It is one of the primary reasons that their product is so popular. They could work behind the scenes to pressure the "evil doers" (Bushisim) to clean up their practices.Dick Boley @KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Garry,Please check your mail box here at avsim.Thanks,Joeaopa.gif" border="0" alt="Grab My FREEWARE Voice recognition Profiles here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a][a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=60740]FSD Avanti Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

It's not just websites either. There's a near constant stream of people selling CDs full of freeware items on eBay and other online auction houses without permission from the authors.

Guest Chris440Cuda

Although I agree that this is a problem, and shouldn't happen, I don't understand why the consumer pays this fee in the first place? Why not just find what they need elsewhere, like at avsim.com or flightsim.com, where it is totally free? Maybe I'm just naive? Sorry if this is tangent from the original topic.

Hi Chris,The reason that most apply to be members of these sites is that they are unaware of the other major sources of Flight Sim aircraft availability. They do not know that the files are FREE elsewhere.So hopefully by constantly making the illegal practices of these sites as public as possible then the new simmers will be encouraged to search some more for their source of downloads.It is a catch 22 trying to educate the new simmers when they are so new to the simming community but if we can get notices like this into as many forums as possible across a broad spectrum then more new people are bound to find out about the bad practices by some sites and the preferred sites that protect them and developers.So mostly it is a campaign to keep the subject of Piracy alive an active in as many forums as possible throughout the net and hopefully through this education process help stamp out the negative sites.Regards

Problem is many people will pay anything on eBay thinking they're getting a good deal.I've seen well used items go for several times the catalogue value that were still in production at the time...

Guest amtran752

Well we can all email ebay and tell them to take the auction down. I personally bid on it, and will not be paying them, and will tell them I am and to wait for me to pay them for a few weeks because I am a jerk!mUahahahaNEVER SHALL THEY GET MONEY

Guest amtran752

I saw this originally on Mike Stones website.HAHAHA, the jerk cancelled my bid because I sent him "Rude" Messages.Dear metro752,You asked:"You do know this is illegal to distribute this software?"THE SOFTWARE I SELL IS ORIGINAL, I FIND YOUR E-MAIL VERY INSULTING AND I HAVE LOGGED YOUR E-MAIL.