AstroEd

No electronics or programming knowledge.

I am new here and I am considering building a basic General Aviation cockpit with the Volair Sim and Saitek panels, HOWEVER!

I am wondering about learning to make my own custom panels run with Arduino or Rasberry Pi but I have absolutely no knowledge.

Can anyone suggest ways to learn Online the basic electronics skills needed for cockpit creation? I do not even own or know how to use a multimeter so no clue what tools to get what’s good what’s junk ( like would the Harbor Freight multimeters be ok to learn on or get a better one? I doubt I would want a $100+ device so let’s not go nuts)

Would a electronics kit help if so suggestions?

Would a Arduino builders kit help? Which one? I seen several on Amazon but not sure which kits would help me learn the skills for flight sim cockpits (Learning skills to build, use and maintain a CNC machine would be a plus)

I am a Disabled Veteran with short term memory issues and I am more of a visual learner than a book learner.

so main suggestions needed

Web sites (YouTube) to l from.

best kits (Electrical and Arduino, others? To learn on.

What are must have tools and equipment needed for the learning process.

Thank you in advance.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Sorry to have wasted the posting space this was obviously a stupid set of questions could a moderator please delete this thread.

First off, these are not "stupid questions". I'm happy to see you pursue building your own cockpit and admire you for wanting to learn all you can to accomplish this. 

While I'm not an expert in cockpit building I think letting your post stand might result in someone with the knowledge to help you offering some assistance.

Hang in there and be patient. Good things can happen.

• Upvote 1

Can I blame the instant satisfaction world for my impatience? LOL

Sorry to appear like a rushing child, Just keep looking at Amazon Electronics kits and Arduino kits wondering what to get anxious to learn and terrified I will waste money on the wrong kit to learn with and not have the right tools and accessories to go with the learning.

On Thursday, December 28, 2017 at 1:12 AM, AstroEd said:

I am new here and I am considering building a basic General Aviation cockpit with the Volair Sim and Saitek panels, HOWEVER!

I am wondering about learning to make my own custom panels run with Arduino or Rasberry Pi but I have absolutely no knowledge.

Can anyone suggest ways to learn Online the basic electronics skills needed for cockpit creation? I do not even own or know how to use a multimeter so no clue what tools to get what’s good what’s junk ( like would the Harbor Freight multimeters be ok to learn on or get a better one? I doubt I would want a $100+ device so let’s not go nuts)

Would a electronics kit help if so suggestions?

Would a Arduino builders kit help? Which one? I seen several on Amazon but not sure which kits would help me learn the skills for flight sim cockpits (Learning skills to build, use and maintain a CNC machine would be a plus)

I am a Disabled Veteran with short term memory issues and I am more of a visual learner than a book learner.

so main suggestions needed

Web sites (YouTube) to l from.

best kits (Electrical and Arduino, others? To learn on.

What are must have tools and equipment needed for the learning process.

Thank you in advance.

Hi there !

A year ago i set out to build my own cockpit which very little electronics or programming skills. A year later my cockpit is flyable. There is lots to learn but i found the learning part of the fun. Sure it can also be frustrating at times but there lots of help avaliable here and on other forums.

I did not use arduino but simple interface boards bought from leobodnar.com. If you choose the BBI32 boards they have an option for push fitting the wires so you do not have to solder them. This is useful if you need to switch things around later. Bear in mind that a simple toggle switch requires only two wires and simple rotary switches only use three wires so even them are not too taxing.

If you are still unsure if you have the abilities why not just buy 1 interface board and one toggle switch and you can see how easy it is to get started.

With regards the programming side of things, if you choose either one of the stock fsx aircraft then you will have little to no prgramming to do as the BBI32 board will merely show up as another joystick to allocate functions to. You will need however a registered copy of Fsuipc and i would also suggest downloading the free LINDA program which makes fsuipc a lot more user friendly as far as allocating switches.

If you have any further questions i'd be glad to help.

cheers

Stinger

16 hours ago, AstroEd said:

LINDA program? is this it?

http://fs-linda.com/

There is an Avsim forum for LINDA. There is a download section where you can download the latest version. 

Cheers Stinger 

Cessna, yes perhaps a year. Complex jet? Try 4-5 years even buying off the shelf products. Took us 10 1/2 years to reach perfection. The motion code alone was well over 9 months with testing, various equipment, etc. etc.

Cockpit building is like everything else. You get what you put into it. There is no "off the shelf" solution to instant satisfaction as it relates to this hobby. When I started out I honestly spent as much time researching home cockpits as I did flying MSFS. At the time, there were only 6 documented home built simulators in the world.

1. I had to learn how to design ((AutoCadd)
2. Spent hours (months) making panels - there were no off the shelf solutions
3. Had to learn how to program in C+, C++, and EPL
4. Conversed often with what many of us call the founder of home cockpit building - James Price
5. Visited, and was visited by James Price, learning how to program via EPIC
6. Finally, enjoyed the fruits of that labor.

Tour it down. Planning put in place to re-build into the closest thing possible of the 757. Spent hours upon hours at Delta measuring everything in the flight deck on my own time. Then spent over a year putting my measurements into AutoCadd.

Then sent the PDF files to a company who laser cut every panel. They shipped them to me. 3 Month process. I painted them, shipped them back to the laser company. They shortened the laser throw distance and engraved each panel.

Then spent over a year and a half designing, laser cutting, and assembling multiple parts to make up over 90 Korry switches. 

Moral of the story......... If you want something "now"........ stick with Arduino or Rasberry Pi. And make a single engine aircraft.

Anything more complex will take additional time multiplied by how complex you get.

Remember, most all of us out here are VERY willing to help you (for free) in accomplishing your project.

All the best

My cessna cockpit is just 10 months old. It is far from perfect and it is not finished at all but in the current state I enjoy flying. I chose Xplane and use ArdsimX with ardino boads. It a very easy ans cheap solution. 

In this video I give some info about the price of the simulator.

if you need any help feel free to ask!

JeDa,

That is very very nice looking! Great job!!!!!

Mitch