Sign in to follow this  
ols500

Can someone tell me a good landing rate :)

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:26 AM, scandinavian13 said:

Your concern isn't comfort, or stats, or ranking. Your concern is a safe landing. If you're landing safely, and competently, the others will follow.

In the real world I have two priorities when landing:

1. Don't Be Short

2. Firm

But what do I know, I learned to fly in the military. :smile:

blaustern   

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

There are 3 golden rules for a smooth landing. Unfortunately nobody has found them out yet.

The late and very great Bob Hoover, a pilot's pilot, once said the secret to a smooth landing was a wet runway for this allows the tires to spin up smoothly. Only in my first few hundred hours of flying was I paying attention to smooth landings, my best one day in a C-172 with seats full and I was showing off.  Just as the mains were to touchdown I goosed the throttle a little bit and the landing was close to what driving over a manhole cover is like.  I do not recommend this, I don't even recommend showing off... ever.  I've learned.  I agree with Wilhem, be firm.  Especially when the runway is wet.  Bob Hoover was a professional showman, I am not.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

39 minutes ago, downscc said:

one day in a C-172

In the T-41 we were trained to pull the throttle back to idle when abeam the touch down point and never touching the throttle again.  The landing was to be made with full flaps with the stall warning followed almost  instantaneously by a firm touch down.  The philosophy was/is "Once on the ground I don't want the aircraft flying anymore."  I have never strayed from this and it has served me well. :smile:

blaustern 

• Upvote 1

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

I have been told, although I do not know this for sure, that too "smooth" of landing and the airplane doesn't "know" it's on the ground, so ground spoilers won't deploy to help you slow down.  It needs that "bump", so when I fly as an airline passenger I like the "bump" of a solid landing.

Of course, I could be wrong...and usually am...but the internet doesn't lie, does it?

Randy

1 hour ago, Ramjett said:

I have been told, although I do not know this for sure, that too "smooth" of landing and the airplane doesn't "know" it's on the ground, so ground spoilers won't deploy to help you slow down.  It needs that "bump", so when I fly as an airline passenger I like the "bump" of a solid landing.

Of course, I could be wrong...and usually am...but the internet doesn't lie, does it?

Randy

Yes. If the landing is too smooth the Weight on Wheel sensor wouldn’t reconginze the landing until a later time. Because on the 777 the Weight on Wheel sensor is located at the 

Therefore the spoilers won’t deploy immediately after touchdown. Because pilots don’t look at the speed brake lever during landing, so we pull the reverse when we can feel that little “bump” and begin to lower the nose. Therefore in this case the spoiler will deploy as reverse is pulled. And we will get the A/T disconnect EICAS msg. 

The danger is is of course you don’t even feel that little “bump” and keep flying at a fixed pitch attitude until the Wing loss enough lift eventually to let the airplane sit on its wheels, in this scenario you would have lost quite a bit of braking distance. 

In the two extreme between  “you have got to dump it on the ground” and “you need a silky smooth one”, my belief is that  there is got to be a happy middle point, and a good pilot is able to adjust this in accordance changing wx condition. 

Again, if the technique is right and one is aimming for the right touch down point. You won’t be far off. And I doubt that anyone would be staring at the VSI during the flare either, because it won’t show you an accurately value below +/-400fpm. 

On 28 December 2017 at 0:26 PM, scandinavian13 said:

To be blunt (as usual with me), landing rate is one of those simmerisms that is just awful, in my opinion.

In a decade (and a third) of flying, not once have I ever paid attention to a landing rate based in ft/min (/sec, /ns, etc.), because the metric is predominantly worthless. Simmers hyperfocus on this mostly because VAs tried to put metrics on flying as some sort of gamey competition. That's all the stat is worth though: gamey, side metrics (cute, interesting, fun for a quick jab at your 'pilot' friends, but that's about it). While I understand that the sim itself doesn't have the same 'feel' as flying a real plane - feeling your lift reserve in the controls, and feeling touchdown itself isn't something that is possible - that doesn't excuse the substitution of staring at the VSI all the way down to the ground. Too many glances down at your VSI while on final can upset an approach and just make it all worse. Fly a stable approach, roll the throttle off using the technique described in the FCTM, touch down positively, and you won't go wrong.

Sure, there are max design tolerances defined by ft/min, but in reality, provided you're not flying like a complete dolt, you won't come close to it. Your concern isn't comfort, or stats, or ranking. Your concern is a safe landing. If you're landing safely, and competently, the others will follow.

Priorities.

This exactly.

A good landing rate is one where you can taxi to the Gate with the aircraft still in one piece.

On 1/10/2018 at 9:43 AM, ganter said:

This exactly.

A good landing rate is one where you can taxi to the Gate with the aircraft still in one piece.

Except that some aircraft will log hard landings, based on G-load and/or vertical speeds at ground contact (777 being one of them).  Life is still good if reported, an inspection can be required.

28 minutes ago, icaruss said:

Except that some aircraft will log hard landings, based on G-load and/or vertical speeds at ground contact (777 being one of them).  Life is still good if reported, an inspection can be required.

Indeed, and a couple of them will wind you up in a 'Tea With No Biscuits" meeting with your TC.

...betrayed by our own ACARS!

On 9 January 2018 at 4:40 AM, Ephedrin said:

There are 3 golden rules for a smooth landing. Unfortunately nobody has found them out yet.

LOL

I do hate how VA's set this "Soft landing" tone with competitions and rewards for ridiculously low landing rates. A lot of times people take away the realism by over flaring and floating their plane  nearly halfway down the runway with the nosegear still up. Iv'e even heard people criticize REAL PILOTS because they think real planes fly exactly like simulator ones and they say "I've never landed this hard with clear weather in FSX blah blah blah." :blink: 

I've seen in person many 777's land soft with all types of angles of attack...it depends on so many variables and makes it difficult to follow a "Good Landing Checklist" to get that perfect landing.

Practice practice practice with all the tips you have been given and really get to know how your plane flies. At the end of it all, it comes down to just how well you know your aircraft under certain weather, payloads and conditions etc.. This goes for ANY airplane. Don't let anybody tell you did a bad landing just because you can't hit -20 fps...but  also don't let anyone tell you you're a good one if you slam it into the ground. :laugh:

• Upvote 1