Sign in to follow this  
csanchezdll

Takeoff from intersection

Hi!

Does anybody know if VoxATC supports T/O from an intersection. Yesterday I flew from LEXJ, which has a taxiway that goes about 3/4 to the way to the runway threshold, and ATC instructed to line-up runway 29 (wich the usual "press 0 to backtrack"). Instead of requesting backtrack, I lined up in that position, which was more than enough for my BE36 to go airborne. However, I never got the T/O clearance, and after waiting for a while I restarted VoxATC and this time I taxied to the runway threshold and everything worked.

Is it possible to request T/O from an intersection? Maybe in expert mode? (which I am not yet using).

Thanks!

Carlos

In a simulator, who cares? I searched this question for real pilots, and the overwhelming consensus is that you should use the entire runway, regardless of weight, performance characteristics of your airplane. There were decenters to this opinion, but they were overwhelmingly younger, less experienced pilots. I don't know that you can expect VoxATC to support such a decision.

This Citation took off from an intersection... :tongue::biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXPUXOl0qQ0

Although personally I would like to have runway in front of me - it's far better than runway behind me which is one of the most useless things for a pilot :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

JFK does intersection departures almost every single day. 31L @KE which allows them to the pair of 22's or 4's at the same time without disrupting the flow. Usually WHITE and RBV fixes go from 31L @KE and everyone else goes from 4L or 22R depending on the  flow. At ORD I've experienced intersection departures as well, once going trans atlantic in a 757. So yes, they happen and yes they are common at some airports. 

Takeoff from intersection does indeed happen in RL, it is even common at some airports. The key point is runway occupation time: backtrack usually takes a lot of time, which is (mostly) useless if the runway is long and the plane is light. I have heard ATC ask a light plane on an intersection if it will require backtrack, with some liner on the glidepath, and clearing for immediate T/O after pilot answers he won't. Of course final word is on the PIC.

I guess for airliners might not be so usual, but for light aircraft operating in big fields mixed with commercial traffic, it happens every day. Sadly, seems Vox does not support it.

Thanks!

Carlos