Sign in to follow this  
por930

GNS 530 MANUAL

The manual for the GNS 530 with the Lear is not what you would call very helpful. I have a real world version, which of course is very detailed. Can I use this? or is it too far away from the installed GNS 530?

A Flight1 GTN750 seems to be getting closer, or for $10 less, the Reality XP GTN 750 version umm, choices choices...Do they both do similar jobs?

Geoff Bryce

Hi Geoff,

Honestly - if you want to fly realistically - you need either the F1 or RXP products... The default GPS (even the modded ones) is so flawed and limited in functionality - it's really hard to enjoy it unless you're just flying canned routes from point A to point B without any deviation...

Personally - I like the RXP ones better (I own both) - they have a nifty install tool and support crossfill... That said - the Lear is setup for the F1 model - it shouldn't be too difficult to swap out  but might take a little effort on your part... If you don't mind tinkering to install it - I'd go for the RXP one - if you just want to get in and fly - the F1 is the best choice... The RXP versions are relatively new compared to F1 so aircraft developers only included support for F1 so far... 

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

11 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Geoff,

Honestly - if you want to fly realistically - you need either the F1 or RXP products... The default GPS (even the modded ones) is so flawed and limited in functionality - it's really hard to enjoy it unless you're just flying canned routes from point A to point B without any deviation...

Personally - I like the RXP ones better (I own both) - they have a nifty install tool and support crossfill... That said - the Lear is setup for the F1 model - it shouldn't be too difficult to swap out  but might take a little effort on your part... If you don't mind tinkering to install it - I'd go for the RXP one - if you just want to get in and fly - the F1 is the best choice... The RXP versions are relatively new compared to F1 so aircraft developers only included support for F1 so far... 

Regards,
Scott

Thanks Scott,

I am not too good at tinkering, so maybe the Flight1 version, while more expensive, will offer less pain. I had a few goes at creating flight plans in the GNS530, but, as you say, it was a frustrating path, and I ended up flying manually mostly, with the GNS 530 as a guidance.

Does the Flight1/RXP GTN 750 have a good manual? or, is the real world manual a good guide?

Regards

Geoff 

Geoff Bryce

33 minutes ago, por930 said:

I had a few goes at creating flight plans in the GNS530, but, as you say, it was a frustrating path, and I ended up flying manually mostly, with the GNS 530 as a guidance.

Geoff,
With the RXP versions you can create your flight plans elsewhere and then import them into the GPS.  Saves time and not as frustrating.  The RXP gauges can also automatically save the flight plan, when activated in the GPS, to a simulator .PLN file you can then load in the sim with it's "File, Flight Planner" option and get ATC clearance and guidance for the flight.  The RXP versions are also based on more current Garmin Trainers and include even more new features, including more current NAV databases.

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hi Geoff,

Just to be clear - the payware aircraft models are setup for the F1 GTN - - - I have yet to see any setup for the GNS from either company as both are relatively new on the scene... So if you choose a GNS - tinkering required - RXP would be the better choice as their install tool is much better...

Many of the Alabeo/Carenado planes have models setup for the F1 GTN or the RXP GNS v1 - so using the RXP tool to swap a GNS v2 in these aircraft only takes a few seconds per aircraft... 

While you might need the proprietary manual (both have them) to learn the specifics of using the gauge in flight sim - the real world manual is what you would use for learning how to use the GNS/GTN - as both are based on the real world Garmin Trainer...

The GNS is more cumbersome to use in real life - as the interface isn't as slick as the one for the GTN... Also the GNS doesn't support airways - so you need to manually enter each fix along the airway by spinning the knobs - in a biz jet with long distance flights this could be truly a chore... 

The GTN does support airways and it's a joy to enter flight plans using the given interface... It makes quick work of even long flights...

That said - as Frank mentioned - you can use a flight planner like - Little Navmap - to export a flight plan to the device if you prefer not to use the gauge for data entry... I think there are some limitation to flight plan length using this method but honestly I haven't looked into that... I think there's a related post in the RXP forum...

Best of luck...

Regards,
Scott    

• Upvote 2

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi Scott and Frank. 

Most of the references I see refer to the Flight1 GTN 750, and occasionally the RXP. As I said earlier, simple is better, so it looks like the Flight1 GTN gets the nod. As it is my birthday on the 2nd, and some shares are in profit, I will sell them next week and get the Flight1 GTN. The videos for the GTN look very straight forward, and as I am really a heavy metal guy, most of my flights are usually on airways, so using the Lear 35 this way seems natural. I use Flight Sim Commander which does a pretty good job of it building or allowing you to easily build flight plans as per real world routes, eg, from Flight aware, and they import into P3Dv4/FSX easily. Though that said, I usually build the plans my self in the FMC, now the GTN 750.

Many moons ago, I was a real world private pilot with an instrument rating, so flight planning comes pretty naturally.

I tried the Lear 35 on the YMML- NZQN 23 Approach last night. Because of having to manually keep track of altitudes with the stock GNS, a little busy.

The RW manual I downloaded for the GTN750 describes a fantastic instrument. It will be fun. Shame the AIRAC can't be updated as often as I would prefer at a reasonable cost

Have you owned the Carenado H25B H850XP HD SERIES? I am tossing up between it and the Carenado EMB505 PHENOM 300 HD SERIES.(great timing as their sale just ends...) It seems both need the GTN 750, which means the Navigraph option pack becomes unusable. I read that the Carenado H25B H850XP is very frame hungry. If so, I wonder if this improves with the addition of the GTN 750?  

Geoff

Geoff Bryce

On 12/31/2017 at 8:02 AM, por930 said:

I tried the Lear 35 on the YMML- NZQN 23 Approach last night. Because of having to manually keep track of altitudes with the stock GNS, a little busy.

Hi Geoff,

You remark above about tracking altitudes with the stock GNS makes me wonder if you are expecting the GTN750 to do much more wrt managing altitudes. The GTN750 will do a ROD calculation for you if you enter the needed info (it is under Utilities), but it won't control a/c altitude like a typical FMS.

Al

11 hours ago, ark said:

Hi Geoff,

You remark above about tracking altitudes with the stock GNS makes me wonder if you are expecting the GTN750 to do much more wrt managing altitudes. The GTN750 will do a ROD calculation for you if you enter the needed info (it is under Utilities), but it won't control a/c altitude like a typical FMS.

Al

Thanks for the insight Al. Yes, I have been somewhat spoilt by the heavy metal FMC. The ROD helps on approach to a given point at X altitude with what ever ground speed. But, maybe I am hoping for too much for the GTN to manage height restrictions per way point/fix. On the flight plan, is there an option to display waypoints with the option for a data tag so at least I can see what Altitude I need to be at?  

Geoff 

Geoff Bryce

15 hours ago, por930 said:

Thanks for the insight Al. Yes, I have been somewhat spoilt by the heavy metal FMC. The ROD helps on approach to a given point at X altitude with what ever ground speed. But, maybe I am hoping for too much for the GTN to manage height restrictions per way point/fix. On the flight plan, is there an option to display waypoints with the option for a data tag so at least I can see what Altitude I need to be at?  

Geoff 

Geoff,

I'm not aware of a GTN750 user data tag capability, but you can display the appropriate chart (e.g., SID, STAR, Approach) in a GTN750 window. However, I use FSX and prefer to use PDFkneeboard to display charts on screen (provides a larger display for my old eyes). Unfortunately, it is a 32 bit application and I'm told it does not work in P3Dv4.

Al

13 hours ago, ark said:

Geoff,

I'm not aware of a GTN750 user data tag capability, but you can display the appropriate chart (e.g., SID, STAR, Approach) in a GTN750 window. However, I use FSX and prefer to use PDFkneeboard to display charts on screen (provides a larger display for my old eyes). Unfortunately, it is a 32 bit application and I'm told it does not work in P3Dv4.

Al

Al,

I have always have my second computer running with the relevant charts and restrictions. I was just looking at a great GTN750 Approach tutorial from one of the Beechtalk guys on the GTN750, and they were saying that it is important to always view the charts for the route.  It seems the GTN looks after LNAV pretty well, but VNAV  is pretty basic, other than ROD.

Looks like I need to get my flight plan preparation in place for some of the busy arrivals. The prop a/c give you some time, but the Lear 35 will keep you interested.

Geoff 

Geoff Bryce

7 hours ago, por930 said:

Al,

I have always have my second computer running with the relevant charts and restrictions. I was just looking at a great GTN750 Approach tutorial from one of the Beechtalk guys on the GTN750, and they were saying that it is important to always view the charts for the route.  It seems the GTN looks after LNAV pretty well, but VNAV  is pretty basic, other than ROD.

Looks like I need to get my flight plan preparation in place for some of the busy arrivals. The prop a/c give you some time, but the Lear 35 will keep you interested.

Geoff 

Geoff,

Yes, the GTN750 is a tremendous tool -- I'm sure you will enjoy it. When I was flying RW IFR a loooong time ago, all I had was a wing leveler! I don't miss having a VNAV capability, in fact, I rather prefer it. Manual VNAV keeps me involved on SIDs, STARS and approaches -- I don't want to just sit back and watch the sim fly the L35.  :smile: However, as they say, "to each his own".

Al