Sign in to follow this  
Andy764

Weird Shimmers and Jagged Planes!!

Afternoon All.

Looking for some advice or pointers if at all possible.  

Had to do Windows reinstall the other day due to certain Windows 10 Problems shall we say.... :-)   I have reinstalled FSX SE and the PMDG products I own, in this case I'm working with the NGX. All works fine in general however  When in Full screen mode I get the most horrendous shimmers when looking around the airport (Heat haze type effect) and when looking in Spot view the aircraft appears like there is no antialiasing.  All jagged.  If I put it into Windowed mode its totally smooth.  No shimmering and smooth aircraft. Id attach images but I cannot see an attach image icon anymore. 

I have gone through the NVIDIA inspector settings and this in fact seems to make it worse.. I've also attached a screenshot of the Inspector page below for clarification. I've tried the most recent NVIDIA drivers for a GTX 960 as well as the drivers I was using prior which were v362.00 (Stable so I left them)

What I'm struggling with is that prior to the reinstall all the settings were exactly the same as they are now with no problems at all.

Hoping there's one or two Graphics Gurus out there that might suggest some options.

Just FYI I have left the CFG file largely untouched other than the WideAspect=TRUE change. In line with suggestions after the change to the NVIDIA inspector profile Anti Aliasing is Unchecked and Texture Filtering is set to Tri Linear.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Many thanks

Andy

Andy Mahaffey

lntel  i7 6700k Skylake​ (watercooled)

​8GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 960 Graphics

​Win 10, FSX -SE (with CH Pedals and Saitek Proflight Yoke)

Not sure How you attach images any longer I cant see an Attach image icon..

Andy

Andy Mahaffey

​8GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 960 Graphics

5 hours ago, Andy764 said:

In line with suggestions after the change to the NVIDIA inspector profile Anti Aliasing is Unchecked and Texture Filtering is set to Tri Linear.

Last I heard this was wrong. You need AA checked and TF higher.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

So I I tried it with AA checked and TF set to the highest level.  No difference. So I reset the NVIDIA inspector to defaults.  Problem 80% goes away?  Whilst I'm not one to mess with stuff if it aint broke.  I cant fathom what is different between now and before the reinstall. ?? 

If anybody can tell me how to most images I'll post a screen shot of NI just to see if Ive missed something obvious.

Ta

Andy

Andy Mahaffey

​8GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 960 Graphics

Go to post image dot com, and attach you pic and dont resize or size to 1080p. Copy the "Link Thumbnail for forums" and post that link here.

3 hours ago, Andy764 said:

If anybody can tell me how to most images I'll post a screen shot of NI just to see if Ive missed something obvious.

Good luck :gaul:

Lets see if this works... 

https://imgur.com/59k5GaR

If anybody has an opinion on the settings in the image link, please let me know. 

Andy

Andy Mahaffey

​8GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 960 Graphics

On 12/31/2017 at 3:45 AM, Andy764 said:

Lets see if this works... 

https://imgur.com/59k5GaR

If anybody has an opinion on the settings in the image link, please let me know. 

Andy

In theory the sparse grid supersampling value should match the MSAA value.
For x2 SGSS you need x2 MSAA and x4 SGSS needs x4 MSAA. Experiment with setting MSAA in the sim only and/or NI.

Edit: In theory again you should set Negative LOD bias to "Allow" and set a LOD Bias DX value of -0.5 for x2 SGSS and -1.0 for x4 SGSS.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Just tried that.  No real change.  I only get the jagged lines and Shimmery scenery when in Full screen mode.  If I drop it to Windowed It is stable as anything with no Shimmers and perfectly smooth lines everywhere.  

It has to be a change in a driver somewhere as it never used to be like this or this difficult to fix if there were any shimmers.   Looking around it seems I'm not the only one either theres posts in the PMDG general forum (Probably where this one should have been. My mistake) under the NVIDIA settings Sticky post with people saying similar. 

Thanks
Andy

Andy Mahaffey

​8GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 960 Graphics

On 1/2/2018 at 2:56 AM, Andy764 said:

Just tried that.  No real change.  I only get the jagged lines and Shimmery scenery when in Full screen mode. 

You might check your full screen in sim resolution is set to the same desktop resolution.  ??

gb.

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:33 PM, gboz said:

You might check your full screen in sim resolution is set to the same desktop resolution.  ??

gb.

They are both the same.  Interestingly.  If I reset all of the settings to default.  Both CFG and NI.  There is absolutely no difference to be seen..  I tried this also one at a time and in different orders.  No difference.  Could it be a file path not being seen correctly.

FSX SE is installed C:\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\FSX.  Nothing unusual there. ??? 

Thanks

Andy

Andy Mahaffey

​8GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 960 Graphics

5 hours ago, Andy764 said:

They are both the same.  Interestingly.  If I reset all of the settings to default.  Both CFG and NI.  There is absolutely no difference to be seen..  I tried this also one at a time and in different orders.  No difference.  Could it be a file path not being seen correctly.

FSX SE is installed C:\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\FSX.  Nothing unusual there. ??? 

Thanks

Andy

Looks like the default NI fsx profile in the NI drop down list is now "Microsoft Flight Simulator 10" rather than "MS Flight Simulator X". Try starting with that one. Otherwise try deleting your current profile and create a new one. ?

gb.

Tried all of that several times  Tried messing with settings tried different options. No Change.  I just don't get it it.  Its never ever been this traumatic before.. :-) 

Andy Mahaffey

​8GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 960 Graphics