Sign in to follow this  
annathy

ATC causing stutters

I hate to be yet another person complaining about stutters but here goes...

We recently decided to treat ourselves to the christmas present of P3d v4, and consequently we decided to upgrade our computer at the same time after years of fighting FSX... Our machine is as follows (this will become more important I promise...) i7700k (overclocked), GTX 1080 (not the 1080TI), 256GB SSD (with Windows preinstalled) and 4 TB WD HDD (5400rpm according to stats). P3D is installed onto the HDD as I understand it mainly affects the load times (and from what I've seen this does appear to be true - there is very little disk activity once running). I do realise some parts still get installed to the C drive and this may be wherein my problem lies...

In terms of add-ons - we gradually added ORBX Base Pack, with no noticeable issues. PMDG 737 NGX, followed by GSX (for Ground Services) - again no noticeable problems and each addon was tested for a few flights before adding the next. FSUIPC and Linda also have been added. Up to this point all was fine.

We then added Edit VoicePacks for the ATC and this is where things seem to be now going wrong. We installed to the E drive along with everything else - but it seems that now we are getting noticeable lags when ATC or for that matter other traffic are talking. What generally seems to be the case is that I see a very brief 0.1Mbps Disk activity and a related stutter. The next few calls will be fine and there will be no issue (so I presume it preloads a number of calls and responses). Then (normally after the next pause in comms chatter), I'll see another stutter.

I'm at my wits end trying to resolve this - I looked at a number of possible solutions including turning off Nvidia HD Sound in the Device manager, and assuming at first it was perhaps frame rate related and playing with a number of settings etc. Currently on the ground I get anywhere between about 25-50 fps depending on scenery density, and in the air, sometimes up to about 70fps, and over 130fps if I view outside of the aircraft. I'm almost certain it's related to the read of the disk and the Edit VoicePacks install now.

Obviously I've tried to uninstall Edit VoicePacks which seems to have gone, but the voices haven't - so I'm guessing the uninstall isn't working correctly either.

But before I tear my hair out completely - has anyone encountered anything similar? Have any solutions? I'm wondering if reinstalling everything to the SSD will make a difference in this situation (perhaps just leaving very large scenery packs on the E drive) - as I say there definitely seems to be a disk read taking place at the same time as the stutter, but I never encountered this with FSX on a much less powerful machine, so I'm stumped as to why I'm suffering this now!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, apologies for the long post! Trying to get all the required details (although I'm sure I've missed something out!!)

Have you tried excluding all the Simulator directories on E and C from your antivirus?

In passing any HDD with 5400 Rpms is considered a slow performance drive that should be used only for backup or archive storage.

If you don't want to use SSD you should use a HDD drive with at least 10k Rpms were 15k is preferred.

Best Regards 

Simbol 

29 minutes ago, simbol said:

Have you tried excluding all the Simulator directories on E and C from your antivirus?

In passing any HDD with 5400 Rpms is considered a slow performance drive that should be used only for backup or archive storage.

If you don't want to use SSD you should use a HDD drive with at least 10k Rpms were 15k is preferred.

Best Regards 

Simbol 

Hmmm

sorry to butt in.

perhaps this maybe my issue 

could be atc??

Edit Voice Pack only manipulates the existing P3Dv4 atc voices--it does not replace them.  If you have the same voices, but they are slower, then EVP has been uninstalled.  Don't know if this helps.

I know most folks don't like having their flight sim on the same drive as Windows, but I've always kept everything on the solid state  C drive outside of the X86 area. Then I don't have to think about drive location, which at my age is a big plus because I usually forget where everthing else is, like my spectacles for flight simming.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.