Sign in to follow this  
pmb

REX Skyforce manual available/release imminent

for me, except the 3d models being fancy, it doesn't look like something that would replace asca for me. I miss the "update sky texture" realistically feature. I mean, sure, I can pick one I like, but that isn't how it works in the right condition..is it? It can't pick the sky colour for me? :-o

same goes for the cloud models. I don't want to have to check whether to enable "tornado" cloud model before flying. Ir has to do that on its own. Right?

Victor Roos

I read the manual, but not a word about a networked/remote installation like AS16.
Did they say anything about that yet?

• Upvote 1

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

49 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

Agreed... wondering if there's some way to have AS16 open, but just 'on standby' and not injecting any weather? The AS16 module relays weather data which is presented in FSX/P3D to PMDG's weather radar system... but it requires AS16 to be open - just having the module running and loaded as part of the sim, doesn't cut it. 

If it was somehow possible to have AS16 running but not doing anything - the module would relay the weather in FSX/P3D from the REX weather engine to PMDG's weather system. But alas, I can't find anywhere in AS16 to shut if off, and not injecting weather... and having two weather engines fighting is just a recipe for disaster.

Hi Anders,
Seems like when using AS Wx Control >Custom Weather, no data is injected unless you add some manually. It could do the trick if left empty.

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

1 minute ago, David Roch said:

Hi Anders,
Seems like when using AS Wx Control >Custom Weather, no data is injected unless you add some manually. It could do the trick if left empty.

Yep. I was playing around with it. And it seems, that it could be a solution. Unfortunately, AS16 needs to be running in the background, in order for the AS module to send data to the PMDG weather radar system. But as far as I can see, the AS module, relays the weather which is injected in FSX/P3D (because you can get returns from using a built in weather theme - briefly, before AS16 again takes over...).

I guess one could try that? Try setting AS16 in Custom Weather mode and not setting anything. And then starting up FSX/P3D and setting a weather theme with some rain clouds or Thunderstorm theme... if that works, then maybe there's hope... :smile:

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

This makes things complicated when an aircraft like PMDGs only read an exclusive wx engine like AS16. Whereas other aircraft like AS buses read wx radar what the sim is displaying. Doesnt matter what wx engine your using. So even if REX wx engine supersedes other engines you still cant use it if you want to fly those aircraft that read only one type of data. Seems silly. 

• Upvote 1

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Too good to be true!

It doesn't work unfortunately. Weather stays the same, awaiting for AS input.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

48 minutes ago, Egbert Drenth said:

I read the manual, but not a word about a networked/remote installation like AS16.

Deng! That was my disappointment after a glace through the manual, too. No mention of networking at all. While former REX products did work from a client, this doesn't seem to apply to Skyforce. This may be irrelevant for the texture engine, but the weather engine would be nice to have networked to free resources from the main machine.

It's also inconvenient to have the weather display (looking quite nice from the manual) active on the main screen.

When using AS2016, I have it networked with the weather display on the laptop all the time. 

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

14 minutes ago, HighTowers said:

This makes things complicated when an aircraft like PMDGs only read an exclusive wx engine like AS16. Whereas other aircraft like AS buses read wx radar what the sim is displaying. Doesnt matter what wx engine your using. So even if REX wx engine supersedes other engines you still cant use it if you want to fly those aircraft that read only one type of data. Seems silly. 

Hmm if that's the way it works (and I fear you're right, unfortunately) I guess, that there's no way to make it work... 

One could of course still use REX SkyForce 3D with AS16.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

The frame rates does not look to good in there introduction video- stuttering all over the show

1 minute ago, kurtb said:

The frame rates does not look to good in there introduction video- stuttering all over the show

FPS and performance is quite hard to determine from a video! I would wait for the final product in order to see what's the performance is like.

Don't jump to conclusions.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

21 minutes ago, kurtb said:

I think you will find that is introduced camera shake not stuttering.

gb.

• Upvote 1

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

42 minutes ago, David Roch said:

Too good to be true!

It doesn't work unfortunately. Weather stays the same, awaiting for AS input.

Nope - it doesn't work... AS16 still injects weather - even in static mode with no weather theme set actively.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Well from what im reading, I dont think the feature is the REX wx engine. What difference does it really make and have over AS16 wx engine.  This is all about skyforce. The 3D cloud models IS the product from what I can tell. In essence it would replace ASCA and still dynamically sync real time wx on the fly.  Not sure how thats going to work since HIFI said the sync dynamic upload function only works with ASCA.  But the manual does indeed say it works with 3rd party syncing.  The only concrete answers will come from user reviews and experiences. 

• Upvote 1

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

2 minutes ago, HighTowers said:

Well from what im reading, I dont think the feature is the REX wx engine. What difference does it really make and have over AS16 wx engine.  This is all about skyforce. The 3D cloud models IS the product from what I can tell. In essence it would replace ASCA and still dynamically sync real time wx on the fly.  Not sure how thats going to work since HIFI said the sync dynamic upload function only works with ASCA.  But the manual does indeed say it works with 3rd party syncing.  The only concrete answers will come from user reviews and experiences. 

You're right. That will be interesting to see how that works. From what I read in the material, using AS16 with SkyForce 3D's cloud models and structures would get the same results as using the built-in SkyForce 3D weather engine. But how that works is a good question... I guess we'll see... Since SkyForce must not be installed into the root P3D directory, there must be some other way for 3rd party weather engines to find and utilize the new structures and models... I just can't help but wondering, if the built-in weather engine would do a better job... 

I guess we'll see...

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--