Sign in to follow this  
pmb

REX Skyforce manual available/release imminent

13 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

HiFi has been the go to wx engine since AS6.5, which was released over a decade ago.  REX came after HiFi and their wx engines were plagued by terrible load times and update methodologies.  REX became the goto for textures; however, there was never a time when they dominated the weather engine market.  

Absolutely +1

• Upvote 2

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

22 minutes ago, ErichB said:

That's precisely my view as well. Although impressive, I'm not concerned with how many themes and models there are. Although I have a basic understanding of weather, 'm not a meteorologist.  If I'm doing a 10 hour flight and fly through varying climate and weather zones, I want Skyforce to present the appropriate cloud model and weather simulation throughout the flight based on its interpretation of what is appropriate - and NOT on a selection of clouds that I have decided 'look nice'.  It's not a chocolate shop. This is a weather application based on scientific principles and I'd like them to be applied without my hack knowledge of weather.  If it does that, super.

Agreed. I don’t want to scroll through thousand of cloud textures myself: I want the program to do it for me. We’ll see if SkyForce works this way or not. But regardless of that the most important thing for me is how SkyForce will work with AS because it is clear by now that SkyForce doesn’t do historic weather and that is an absolute MUST for me. So if SkyForce and AS turn out to not work together completely and if I have to manually select texture sets I won’t get SF, no matter how nice the models are. Yes, I know the manual says they will work together perfectly fine but I am sorry to say I rather hear this from someone other than REX. 

43 minutes ago, costamesa said:

What I cant fully understand is if some of this options are off, how am I supposed to have the models and textures in the sim replicating the real weather? To my understanding if you say "you ll have cloud models in real time when you turn 'Enable real-time 3D cloud model (structures) sync mode and texture sync' option on" it means I dont need to install any additional model or texture or whatsoever because the application should have installed them already to make all models available. Obviously I am missing something here... 

To have the textures change dynamically with AS16 one has to install the full dynamics or global dynamics theme first in ASCA. I figure Skyforce works the same.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

2 minutes ago, Rimshot said:

To have the textures change dynamically with AS16 one has to install the full dynamics or global dynamics theme first in ASCA. I figure Skyforce works the same.

I hope the same, but I'd figure it would be in the manual..

Victor Roos

5 minutes ago, ErichB said:

How many of you are going storm hunting?

Count me in.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

1 minute ago, ErichB said:

As someone else noted, there are so many options to get your head around with this application, that is sometimes becomes murky(even with the manual)  as to what is/isn't possible.  I think this is going to be a pretty amazing experience once released and when everyone's angst settles.  

How many of you are going storm hunting?

Eric,

When I get it, I am not going to do anything apart from load it up and go, as it is. Like I do with ASv4/ASCA. That way it will be like for like. No "fooling around"

Looking forward to seeing how full overcast looks and "with" better FPS! Strom hunting and more :biggrin:

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 minute ago, Anders Bermann said:

Count me in.

I thought it was a good idea to avoid storms in aviation :).  

Matt King

1 minute ago, Nyxx said:

Looking forward to seeing how full overcast looks and "with" better FPS!

Yup, yup, yup

1 minute ago, kingm56 said:

I thought it was a good idea to avoid storms in aviation :).  

Live on the virtual edge man.

Nice marketing techniques... creating fuss for years and dragging release... i hope it'll be worth the wait. Ill wait for other reviews anyway before purchasing.

• Upvote 3

Roi Ben

3 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Live on the virtual edge man.

LOL...it will be fun for sure, Erich; however, i view it as a novelty.  I'll do it a few times and probably loose interest with the storms portion.  

Matt King

Just now, J van E said:

Agreed. I don’t want to scroll through thousand of cloud textures myself: I want the program to do it for me. We’ll see if SkyForce works this way or not. But regardless of that the most important thing for me is how SkyForce will work with AS because it is clear by now that SkyForce doesn’t do historic weather and that is an absolute MUST for me. So if SkyForce and AS turn out to not work together completely and if I have to manually select texture sets I won’t get SF, no matter how nice the models are. Yes, I know the manual says they will work together perfectly fine but I am sorry to say I rather hear this from someone other than REX. 

Except it will in an upcoming update. In the latest FB post about the manual, someone asks about historical weather and REX replies - "historical weather will be coming in an upcoming build. We have millions of records and almost 10 years worth of data stored on our Edge servers. We will implement at a near later date." (https://www.facebook.com/REXSimulations/)

1 minute ago, Asheroo said:

We will implement at a near later date." (https://www.facebook.com/REXSimulations/)

Which I tend to read "within the next couple of years".

And yes, it's a bit, well, strange testers are still under NDA.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

6 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

I'll do it a few times and probably loose interest with the storms portion.  

Yeah, as will we all. 

But the acid test is - if it handles/displays/represents the worst case scenario really well (or at least convincingly), then it should in theory, handle anything less, in a similar fashion.

OK guys it's clear to see a lot of you are cynical and will stay with AS no matter what. Why not it's great, can we agree on that!

So what "tests" do you want to see.

I thought of this.

Same flight, same time etc.

A flight with AS/ASCA

Full skyforce daytime in real time ofc if no historical.

Skyforce?AS WX.

Have you got a good flightplan with different WX and a date time? 

Contribute. Give airport time date for a snap shot.

Since you're clearly cynical let's compare so we can all see what's better even if it confirms AS/ASCA is still the best. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip