Sign in to follow this  
pmb

REX Skyforce manual available/release imminent

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have been a pilot in the real world for a long time. AS 16 with soft clouds looks pretty darn realistic to me, and I am sticking with it. If it ain't broke, I'm not fixing it. 

I have been flying for a while as well Bob but as a bit of a weather geek myself I do find having all of the real world cloud classifications now modelled pretty intriguing.  WX still lacks a great deal within all of the sim platforms and I am hoping this takes it to the next level.  It's about time!:laugh:

• Upvote 2

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I want skyforce to be a success, but there are a few red flags that concern me. I could write several paragraphs here, but I kept it succinct. By keeping it succinct it may seem as though I hate skyforce before trying it, but that is not the case. 

First, there is lots of hype on the first 2 pages that essentially communicate that the sim atmosphere will behave/appear like the real world atmosphere using skyforce. That is what we all want and we are being told what we want to hear. This same method has been used in the past by rex, here we are AGAIN.  

Second, registration REQUIREMENT I understand entering a serial code to prove/validate payment, but to require registration - really? What if a potential customer does not want a personal relationship with rex? too bad....this smells of communism to me, and I would love to hear the explanation as to why a customer HAS TO register in order to be a customer. 

Third, settings that appear to conflict with what all the hype is all about. I understand not everybody has a 5 GHz beast, but what is the point in having skyforce if one cannot utilize all that hype. Who will be able to utilize it all, I wonder.

Fourth, when a product manual "kind of" encourages the use of competitors products; I mean if the weather engine in skyforce is so good, it surly would not need to time and again refer to other weather engines as a substitute. Now if it was for wx radar alone, that should be specifically stated once and move on.

I think that any beta testers who has said "oh wait and see - you'll be amazed" are the same ones who don't or did not mind lowering sliders and tolerating VAS issues. They don't mind having to lower the rex settings for stability or FPS, and they don't feel like they can complain, because they are getting the product for free. I want to hear from somebody who has a 5+GHz beast and expect to be able to implement all that hype.

Nevertheless, I will wait for full flight videos on skyforce with max settings, in P3Dv4 with very high settings, before agreeing that skyforce is the breakthrough that the beautiful sounding hype speaks of. Lets see if beta testers will do these full length unedited flight vids for us soon.

When we see the price, and the product in action, we will be able to determine value a lot better.  

I hope there is a major call for rex to get rid of that registration requirement. uggh

9 minutes ago, pracines said:

I want skyforce to be a success, but there are a few red flags that concern me. I could write several paragraphs here, but I kept it succinct. By keeping it succinct it may seem as though I hate skyforce before trying it, but that is not the case. 

First, there is lots of hype on the first 2 pages that essentially communicate that the sim atmosphere will behave/appear like the real world atmosphere using skyforce. That is what we all want and we are being told what we want to hear. This same method has been used in the past by rex, here we are AGAIN.  

Second, registration REQUIREMENT I understand entering a serial code to prove/validate payment, but to require registration - really? What if a potential customer does not want a personal relationship with rex? too bad....this smells of communism to me, and I would love to hear the explanation as to why a customer HAS TO register in order to be a customer. 

Third, settings that appear to conflict with what all the hype is all about. I understand not everybody has a 5 GHz beast, but what is the point in having skyforce if one cannot utilize all that hype. Who will be able to utilize it all, I wonder.

Fourth, when a product manual "kind of" encourages the use of competitors products; I mean if the weather engine in skyforce is so good, it surly would not need to time and again refer to other weather engines as a substitute. Now if it was for wx radar alone, that should be specifically stated once and move on.

I think that any beta testers who has said "oh wait and see - you'll be amazed" are the same ones who don't or did not mind lowering sliders and tolerating VAS issues. They don't mind having to lower the rex settings for stability or FPS, and they don't feel like they can complain, because they are getting the product for free. I want to hear from somebody who has a 5+GHz beast and expect to be able to implement all that hype.

Nevertheless, I will wait for full flight videos on skyforce with max settings, in P3Dv4 with very high settings, before agreeing that skyforce is the breakthrough that the beautiful sounding hype speaks of. Lets see if beta testers will do these full length unedited flight vids for us soon.

When we see the price, and the product in action, we will be able to determine value a lot better.  

I hope there is a major call for rex to get rid of that registration requirement. uggh

I kinda agree with the registering of the product. But first, I wish people would stop talking about vas. No where else in computer science do you see this term used on a daily basis. Now with p3d v4 64 bit there is no need to talk about this. I'm sorry if you don't have version 4, but EVERYTHING is transitiontioning to 64 bit so sooner or later you will be left behind. 

Regarding the 5ghz, you obviously did not read the manual as this increases fps as it handles cloud sprites differently. 

And this isn't communism. 

• Upvote 5

I also don't understand why you are worried about registering..i have to register with most of the companies i buy software from..from aerosoft to pmdg to flytampa and also Spad and Fsdt all require registering and if it helps to cut down on pirating(it won't stop it) ,thats great.

steve

• Upvote 5

The reason why you have the option of weather engine is because some users wan to fly with historic weather and REX SF 3d will not offer this option initially.

I have to question why anyone would not want to be a proud REX supporter and register as a customer. The REX Team has always provided excellent addons and great customer support at fair prices. Plus a bunch of free updates. They are an excellent member of our community and deserve better than the way some customers are treating them. They have beta testers who check and validate the software. If the team says ASP4 will work, it's because they have beta testers that have confirmed that it works. They don't need to lie or use hype to get the community excited about their new product.

All I want is better weather depiction with REX's awesome clouds and sky textures along with an excellent weather generator. SF 3D checks those boxes.

• Upvote 6

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I really hope it's a revolutionary product.... but something smells a little fishy to me.

Very slick website and manual, but how about some new videos that demonstrate the actual capabilities of the product?

The last video I can find is over 12 months old... anyone have links to new videos?

Matthew S

13 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

I really hope it's a revolutionary product.... but something smells a little fishy to me.

Very slick website and manual, but how about some new videos that demonstrate the actual capabilities of the product?

The last video I can find is over 12 months old... anyone have links to new videos?

What exactly do you mean by 'fishy'??? 
Are you seriously suggesting, that there's something wrong here?!

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

3 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

What exactly do you mean by 'fishy'??? 
Are you seriously suggesting, that there's something wrong here?!

I don't think he's necessarily meaning that there's something wrong like they are trying to totally pull the wool over eyes.  But, like has been said, there are very few, if any, pictures or videos that show any kind of real comparison of just exactly how this will be an earth shattering type product.  If all it is is just yet another set of pretty cloud textures, then yes, there's something "fishy" here.

• Upvote 2

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

3 minutes ago, klamal said:

I don't think he's necessarily meaning that there's something wrong like they are trying to totally pull the wool over eyes.  But, like has been said, there are very few, if any, pictures or videos that show any kind of real comparison of just exactly how this will be an earth shattering type product.  If all it is is just yet another set of pretty cloud textures, then yes, there's something "fishy" here.

Well... hasn't it been that way with all of REX's product releases? 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

7 minutes ago, kurtb said:

yeah fishy

Tornadoes have been known to pick up fishys and transporting them long distances. Maybe Skyforce does this.:biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Back from a long break from simming, and see that everything is as it was here on AVSIM :) 

I for one am looking forward to this package as I welcome anything that can expand beyond the very limited weather model in P3D. I hope it delivers. 

• Upvote 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I had Rex Essential Overdrive for some time and was very pleased with the weather engine, textures, and everything else for that matter. It was only because of PMDG's weather radar and AS that I changed the weather engine but mostly used the Rex textures. With the dynamic weather feature of ASCA I then moved to that and ENVTEX.  Their weather engine is not an issue and it's grade A professional of them to allow the use of either weather engine. They shouldn't be attacked for that professionalism and choice offered. But having said that, I was very pleased with the weather engine when I was using overdrive.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

11 minutes ago, simmerhead said:

Back from a long break from simming, and see that everything is as it was here on AVSIM :) 

I for one am looking forward to this package as I welcome anything that can expand beyond the very limited weather model in P3D. I hope it delivers. 

#as16+ asca

Victor Roos

please close this thread ... there are always some who can't stop moaning. Speculation is fine until gets repeated and repeated again. Nothing useful comes out here.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).