Sign in to follow this  
1290SASRider

Widgeon CTD in FSX:SE

Good morning!  I just purchased both the MU-2 and the Widgeon this a.m. and installed both to FSX:SE.  Both installations seemed to go without problems as had the Lear 35 I purchased and installed previously.  I tried the MU-2 and it loaded fine.  The Widgeon, however, crashed the sim to the desktop every time I'd try to load it.  I started with a native aircraft at a native airport to minimize the possibility of conflicts arising from add-ons then attempted to load the Widgeon.  No dice.

I stand ready to provide amplifying information and am grateful for any support!

David Rosenblum

Atlas Air Boeing 767 Captain; previously a Boeing 747-400/-8 First Officer

Jetline Gravity GTX | Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard | i7 8700K overclocked to 5 GHz | 32GB 3 GHz Corsair DDR4 SDRAM | 11GB GTX 1080 Ti | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Dual Stage Liquid Cooling | 3 Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitors on Jestik Arc stand | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, Throttles and Pedals

Update:  I installed it on my desktop running Prepar3D v. 4 and it runs normally.  So, perhaps I should reattempt the FSX:SE installation?

David Rosenblum

Jetline Gravity GTX | Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard | i7 8700K overclocked to 5 GHz | 32GB 3 GHz Corsair DDR4 SDRAM | 11GB GTX 1080 Ti | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Dual Stage Liquid Cooling | 3 Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitors on Jestik Arc stand | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, Throttles and Pedals

Hi David.

Have you managed to solve this? I'm getting the same problem too.

It would be interesting to know:

1. Did you get it from Just Flight or from another page? ( I bought it from Just Flight and I'm wondering if there is something wrong with their installer.)
  2. Have you seen any strange .mdmp files in your FSX folder? Every time I attempt to start the Widgeon, it produces two dumps. The best way to check is to delete all of the .mbmp files and attempt to start the Widgeon. Then check to see what it produces.

I've put in a support request to Flysimware and they are stumped too.

I think you need read the last entry as they explain why this can happen.
Exception Information: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/458604254443920608/

I too am at a loss as my FSX:SE runs the Grumman with no issues.

When i read this to me it means you have admin issues. And i bet Windows 10 is what both of you guys are using.

"The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access"

But it's odd that the MU works and the Grumman does not because they both use the same DLL. Maybe try doing some tests.

====================================================================================================

Open the Grumman panel folder / panel cfg. in notepad. Make a backup.

• TEST

Remove this line:

gauge04=MT_XMLSound!MT_XMLSound,  0,0,1,1

[Vcockpit01]

Spoiler
48 minutes ago, Flysimware said:

I think you need read the last entry as they explain why this can happen.
Exception Information: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/458604254443920608/

I too am at a loss as my FSX:SE runs the Grumman with no issues.

This would seem to relate to a fatal crash of FSX:SE which is not happening unless I specifically attempt to load the Widgeon.  All other aircraft models, and I got a passel of 'em, load and run normally. I have lots of add-on sceneries and though it appear each sim developer has their own convoluted method of verification and installation each loads normally as well.  Through the back-and-forth with the developer no remedy has been forthcoming.  It seems to have stymied them as well as most don't have this problem.  I've been on the road and haven't spent much time recently addressing this.

David Rosenblum

1 minute ago, FLHXRider said:
  Hide contents

This would seem to relate to a fatal crash of FSX:SE which is not happening unless I specifically attempt to load the Widgeon.  All other aircraft models, and I got a passel of 'em, load and run normally. I have lots of add-on sceneries and though it appear each sim developer has their own convoluted method of verification and installation each loads normally as well.  Through the back-and-forth with the developer no remedy has been forthcoming.  It seems to have stymied them as well as most don't have this problem.  I've been on the road and haven't spent much time recently addressing this.

I just posted a simple test to try for now. Hope to get some feedback soon since i do not get the fatal error.

20 minutes ago, Flysimware said:

When i read this to me it means you have admin issues. And i bet Windows 10 is what both of you guys are using.

"The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access"

But it's odd that the MU works and the Grumman does not because they both use the same DLL. Maybe try doing some tests.

====================================================================================================

Open the Grumman panel folder / panel cfg. in notepad. Make a backup.

• TEST

Remove this line:

gauge04=MT_XMLSound!MT_XMLSound,  0,0,1,1

[Vcockpit01]

Done as directed. Same result.

David Rosenblum

Amazing how similar, yet different our computers are set up. From a developers point of view, they aim for a middle ground, eg, Win 10 ver xx, plus other musts, as well as Win approvals, which seem to be getting much more difficult to work out what is approved or otherwise.

We need a software loader reporting tool that mere mortals understand. When you load a program, and runs through its routines, and "if" it comes to a show stopper exception, the reporting tool program indicates the error and possible solutions in understandable language. This way, you have a better idea what is wrong. At present, we all seem to have a stab in the dark in various ways, making trouble shooting difficult until some one determines the fix.

Best of luck hunting it David.

Geoff Bryce

Just now, FLHXRider said:

Done as directed. Same result.

Ok now try to borrow a model file from an other airplane and rename it to the exterior and interior models 1 at a time to see if any of the model files are the cause.

So make a backup of the 2 model files.

Grumman_G-44A_interior

Grumman_G-44A

Now copy any model file like from the MU and paste it here and name it Grumman_G-44A_interior. and try it. Then try the other name and test it.

7 minutes ago, por930 said:

Amazing how similar, yet different our computers are set up. From a developers point of view, they aim for a middle ground, eg, Win 10 ver xx, plus other musts, as well as Win approvals, which seem to be getting much more difficult to work out what is approved or otherwise.

We need a software loader reporting tool that mere mortals understand. When you load a program, and runs through its routines, and "if" it comes to a show stopper exception, the reporting tool program indicates the error and possible solutions in understandable language. This way, you have a better idea what is wrong. At present, we all seem to have a stab in the dark in various ways, making trouble shooting difficult until some one determines the fix.

Best of luck hunting it David.

I agree, but i do not have any tools to read a dump file and i can't create a dump file because i do not have this issue which means to me it has something to do with a specific computer and not the rest of the customers.

But we do have a clue from a tool. And this statement to me means DLL is causing the issue because the location is outside the aircraft folder and needs permission to use it. 

11 minutes ago, Flysimware said:

Ok now try to borrow a model file from an other airplane and rename it to the exterior and interior models 1 at a time to see if any of the model files are the cause.

So make a backup of the 2 model files.

Grumman_G-44A_interior

Grumman_G-44A

Now copy any model file like from the MU and paste it here and name it Grumman_G-44A_interior. and try it. Then try the other name and test it.

I'll get back to you tomorrow.  I'm sitting reserve and will have some time to mess with this.

David Rosenblum

Make sure you have followed these instructions and see if this fixes the issue. It covers almost every reason FSX:SE could crash!

I would skip the simconnects section!

First make sure you are running steam as admin(fsx requires admin rights for itself, and some addons)
make sure your video card drivers are up to date, dont just assume they are, check to make sure.

SKIP

=======================================================================
step 1, Install all the simconnects that DTG doesnt automatically install for you

keep in mind these are simconnect.msi files...just double click to install

where my FSX:SE is installed into my E:\ drive
there are actually (4) simconnects in FSX:SE

E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\lib 
(install this one first)

E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-RTM
(install this one 2nd)

E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-SP1 
(install this one 3rd)

E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-XPACK (YOU SHOULD NOT NEED TO INSTALL THIS ONE)
DTG now includes the install for the xpack since the last update/patch

===============================================================================

the 2nd thing to do is install the C++ redistributable

E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2005
there are 2 files here

vcredist_x86.msi (to install for 32 bit)
vcredist_x64.msi (to install for 64 bit)
just double click on the pertinant one for your system,should be 64bit

If you can't find them in your directory can you please go to this website, download and install these two files.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3387
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21254

Please make sure you install them to the same drive where you have FSX installed. It doesn't need to be same folder or anything. Just the same hard drive. 

just to make sure it is installed, the XML parser should also be installed, it should have been loaded already by fsx

E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\Installers
msxml.msi
double click this file to install

It looks like the game needs the MSXML 4.0 dlls installed for x86 and they aren't included in the redistribution or are failing to install as part of the Steam setup on Win 8.1 Pro.

I downloaded the MSXML 4.0 SP2 and SP2 Hotfix from Microsoft and everything then worked. Get the files from:

MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (Microsoft XML Core Services) - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19662
Security Update for MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430) - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14623

install Directx 9.0c
E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010

i know it seems a bit overkill, but these steps usually correct issues for most people
If you had a side by side FSX:BOXED and FSX:SE install, it could be registry/directory structure/files issue, some have had suces with side by side, others have had nothing but headaches

• Upvote 1

I've attempted to load the Widgeon with the MT_XMLSound entry commented out and here are the results:

With 'gauge04=MT_XMLSound!MT_XMLSound,  0,0,1,1' live.

Dump Summary
------------
Dump File:    fsx_62615_crash_2018_1_7T9_48_8C1.mdmp : C:\MS Flight Simulator Steam Edition\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx_62615_crash_2018_1_7T9_48_8C1.mdmp
Last Write Time:    07/01/2018 09:48:09
Process Name:    fsx.exe : C:\MS Flight Simulator Steam Edition\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe
Process Architecture:    x86
Exception Code:    0xC0000005
Exception Information:    The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
Heap Information:    Not Present

System Information
------------------
OS Version:    10.0.16299
CLR Version(s):    

Modules
-------
Module Name    Module Path    Module Version
-----------    -----------    --------------
fsx.exe    C:\MS Flight Simulator Steam Edition\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe    10.0.62615.0
UIAnimation.dll    C:\Windows\System32\UIAnimation.dll    6.2.16299.15
MT_XMLSound.gau    C:\MS Flight Simulator Steam Edition\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\FLYSIM Grumman G-44A Widgeon\panel\MT_XMLSound.gau    1.0.0.1

With 'gauge04=MT_XMLSound!MT_XMLSound,  0,0,1,1' removed.

Dump Summary
------------
Dump File:    fsx_62615_crash_2018_1_7T9_28_9C1.mdmp : C:\MS Flight Simulator Steam Edition\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx_62615_crash_2018_1_7T9_28_9C1.mdmp
Last Write Time:    07/01/2018 09:28:09
Process Name:    fsx.exe : C:\MS Flight Simulator Steam Edition\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe
Process Architecture:    x86
Exception Code:    0xC0000005
Exception Information:    The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
Heap Information:    Not Present

System Information
------------------
OS Version:    10.0.16299
CLR Version(s):    

Modules
-------
Module Name    Module Path    Module Version
-----------    -----------    --------------
fsx.exe    C:\MS Flight Simulator Steam Edition\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe    10.0.62615.0
UIAnimation.dll    C:\Windows\System32\UIAnimation.dll    6.2.16299.15

The simulation still crashes, but the last module in the list is different. From this I think the problem is not in MT_XMLSound.gau, but in the module which is loaded immediately afterwards. Unfortunately this module isn't named in the dump so were stumped again.

Following this:

I replaced Grumman_G-44A.MDL with Nieuport.MDL (re named) - Loaded the Widgeon - crashed to desktop.
I replaced Grumman_G-44A_interior.MDL with Nieuport_interior (re named) - Loaded the Widgeon - crashed to desktop.

Reversed the above tests (i.e. copied the .mdl files from the Widgeon to the Neuport) and then loaded the Nieuport XXIV. - The simulation loads.

So it looks like the .mdl files can be excluded as the cause too.