Sign in to follow this  
1290SASRider

Widgeon CTD in FSX:SE

I've carried out the following tests:

Updated video drivers. Still crashing.

Installed all simconnects. Still crashing.

Installed the  2005 c++ redistributable. Still Crashing.

Reinstalled DirectX from June 2010. Still crashing.

So were back to square one.

15 hours ago, Flysimware said:

Make sure you have followed these instructions and see if this fixes the issue. It covers almost every reason FSX:SE could crash!

I would skip the simconnects section!

First make sure you are running steam as admin(fsx requires admin rights for itself, and some add-ons)
make sure your video card drivers are up to date, don't just assume they are, check to make sure.

=======================================================================
step 1, Install all the simconnects that DTG doesn't automatically install for you...

the 2nd thing to do is install the C++ redistributable...

just to make sure it is installed, the XML parser should also be installed, it should have been loaded already by fsx...

It looks like the game needs the MSXML 4.0 dll's installed for x86 and they aren't included in the redistribution or are failing to install as part of the Steam setup on Win 8.1 Pro...

install DirectX 9.0c...

I know it seems a bit overkill, but these steps usually correct issues for most people.

All of those had been done already...

If you had a side by side FSX:BOXED and FSX:SE install...

I don't; just SE as a standalone.  But I do appreciate these instructions and your desire to be thorough. -D.

David Rosenblum

Atlas Air Boeing 767 Captain; previously a Boeing 747-400/-8 First Officer

Jetline Gravity GTX | Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard | i7 8700K overclocked to 5 GHz | 32GB 3 GHz Corsair DDR4 SDRAM | 11GB GTX 1080 Ti | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Dual Stage Liquid Cooling | 3 Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitors on Jestik Arc stand | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, Throttles and Pedals

I agree it's not the MDL files and it also makes sense it's not the MT_XMLSound files because this file is the same for the MU-2B which works for FLHXRider.

I do know there is 1 difference with this product than all others. This was the first made with 3DS MAX and not GMAX. But since the MDL files made no difference this is ruled out as mentioned above.

So again i think it's a admin permission issue. But this was tested too. Can you guys confirm this?

The mystery continues as this one has me stumped!:blink:

I don't understand this at all.

Earlier this morning (UK time), I set out to check that I had in fact tested FSX run as administrator.

To remove any uncertainty, I bypassed the shortcut and navigated to ~\steamapps\common\FSX and ran FSX as administrator from there. I then selected the Widgeon and clicked 'Fly Now'. FSX successfully loaded the Widgeon and I was able to look round the cockpit. I tried again (I think this second time without administrator permissions) and  again FSX loaded the Widgeon correctly.

I tried a third time and FSX crashed to the desktop, and has continued to do so ever since. I have even completely shut my PC down and restarted from cold and dark to see if that was a factor in this morning's success and I have verified my local files with the Steam web site. This should have replaced missing or corrupt files. But whatever I do now, it crashes regardless.

This is almightily confusing.

Edited by pontius the pilot
To add missing information

Try this as a quick test.

In the windows search box enter "UIAnimation.dll" to confirm you have this DLL. This could be the cause if you do not have this DLL. 

14 hours ago, pontius the pilot said:

I don't understand this at all.

Earlier this morning (UK time), I set out to check that I had in fact tested FSX run as administrator.

To remove any uncertainty, I bypassed the shortcut and navigated to ~\steamapps\common\FSX and ran FSX as administrator from there. I then selected the Widgeon and clicked 'Fly Now'. FSX successfully loaded the Widgeon and I was able to look round the cockpit. I tried again (I think this second time without administrator permissions) and  again FSX loaded the Widgeon correctly.

I tried a third time and FSX crashed to the desktop, and has continued to do so ever since. I have even completely shut my PC down and restarted from cold and dark to see if that was a factor in this morning's success and I have verified my local files with the Steam web site. This should have replaced missing or corrupt files. But whatever I do now, it crashes regardless.

This is almightily confusing.

As i thought it is a personal computer permission issue. And this is why only some are having issues. I too last year had to ad admin rights or FSX:SE would crash as soon as i loaded anything. The Grumman had a DLL and this is going to need full permission from FSX or your computer will refuse to read or write to the DLL and cause a crash. So seems that when you added the rights it worked then failed after you removed it. There are tutorials online for how to add rights to programs without just checking the admin box. This will most likely fix your issue as i think your specific windows is confused and is not allowing admin rights to FSX:SE.

I think i have a solution that is better than checking admin rights for 1 program! "Make sure you have your user as a admin."

I suggest anyone having issues to make sure there user account is in fact a admin. Here is a video to explain how to change this option.

There are not too many reasons to have your computer a non admin computer unless your sharing your computer and do not want the other users to have full rights. So i would follow this vid.

It first show hows to check on W10 if you are in admin full control.

Then it will show you how to change this option.

I bet this will fix all FSX:SE crash issues!

It worked for me using W7 last year!:ha:

11 minutes ago, Flysimware said:

I think i have a solution that is better than checking admin rights for 1 program! "Make sure you have your user as a admin."

I suggest anyone having issues to make sure there user account is in fact a admin. Here is a video to explain how to change this option.

There are not too many reasons to have your computer a non admin computer unless your sharing your computer and do not want the other users to have full rights. So i would follow this vid.

It first show hows to check on W10 if you are in admin full control.

Then it will show you how to change this option.

I bet this will fix all FSX:SE crash issues!

It worked for me using W7 last year!:ha:

Ummm, Sorry, I could not find the link to the video?

Geoff Bryce

10 hours ago, por930 said:

I can't find the video either. But I've checked my normal login and it has administrator rights already. Otherwise:

10 hours ago, Flysimware said:

As i thought it is a personal computer permission issue. And this is why only some are having issues. I too last year had to ad admin rights or FSX:SE would crash as soon as i loaded anything. The Grumman had a DLL and this is going to need full permission from FSX or your computer will refuse to read or write to the DLL and cause a crash. So seems that when you added the rights it worked then failed after you removed it. There are tutorials online for how to add rights to programs without just checking the admin box. This will most likely fix your issue as i think your specific windows is confused and is not allowing admin rights to FSX:SE.

Unfortunately, it's not so simple.

Yesterday, I was able to start a flight using the Widgeon only twice. The rest of the time any attempt to do the same thing resulted in a crash to desktop. The same has happened today, all attempts to use the Widgeon have failed except for one which worked at around 10:00am. This one crashed when I ended the flight.

My normal login has administrator rights. Normally I have run FSX by right clicking the icon an selecting Runs as administrator from the menu. Recently, I have set 'Run as administrator' in the properties of FSX.exe. But it is still crashing. Sometimes it will give an error message to the effect that FSX has stopped working. Sporadically it will work, but most of the time it hangs for a few minutes and then crashes to the desktop.

So basically, I'm getting nowhere with this.

My most stable time when using FSX(boxed version) was when I loaded a early disk version of Win 7 and then FSX, on my D drive, and then set Win 7 for no windows updates. It was sheer bliss.

When I eventually updated my machine to Win10, and especially after the increased security and permissions arrived, FSX became more of a handful due to permissions, even though I had security turned off.

I went to P3Dv4. I have had a few permission issues with my P3Dv4.1 build, when it is not happy with a program and it says, "run Anyway"...I select Y, and all seems well.

I removed the Win 10 / FSX and built a machine for Win7/ FSX and use this for my PMDG a/c. and sceneries that will not fire up in P3Dv4.

I used to use FSX-SE, but had issues with addon permissions and things would run some days and not others. So I tried to move FSX-SE from my C Drive Programs area where it defaulted, to a D drive. I got hopelessly lost in the process, with duplicate versions running even after a total re download. I asked Steam for support, which they did at first, then they gave up as their instructions were out of date and reading from some old scripts...and eventually they never replied. So, I removed Steam(such a nice feeling) 

While P3Dv4.1 was a bit barren at first, it is picking up with more A/C and sceneries.

Geoff Bryce

I just purchased the Grumman in the October sale along with the Lear and MuB260.

It always crashes the sim no matter how I load it, either directly or after default or any airport etc.

You can select the ac in the choose plane menu but going to load flight instant crash.

All my other add ons and FS work the best they ever have, I'm an ex IT consultant I know my way around a PC....

So how do I apply for a refund? It just doesn't work out the box with FSX steam W10 for me. There is no way I am going to mess with any FSX settings with everything else working hunky dory.

Extra disappointed as I have PNW/plus 2 OrbX addon water airports as well as Tongass Fjords and STILL only have awful default planes to go there with 😞

PS The Lear is ********  majestic. Hands down in my top 3 now, right up there with the PMDG 737 and A2A Mustang.

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

13 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

It always crashes the sim no matter how I load it, either directly or after default or any airport etc.

SOLVED:

I found the reason why Windows 10 is causing the crash. And maybe other OP systems besides W7. We tested on W7 with no issues, I tested today with W10 and it also crashed. I found in the panel config file last entry [Vcockpit21] is a duplicate of entry 12. So just delete the last entry. I will add instruction on the product page until we release a new version.

Sorry for the issue!

So this proves newer operating systems are getting worse if they can't ignore a duplicate entry since W7 could. You would think it would be the other way around.😥

Edited by Flysimware