Sign in to follow this  
whamil77

Blackhawk B350i Mod v1.0

vUiovWB.jpg

I am in final testing of a modification for the Carenado King Air B350i that emulates the Blackhawk modification to -67A engines.  The airplane is a beast as you can see from their website. 

http://fastestkingair.com/

Climb to FL350 in 18 minutes.....332KTAS at FL280......  And by Blackhawk's own admission those numbers are conservative.  They have not yet published a POH, but they pretty much guarantee the POH numbers will be better than the current marketing numbers.  I have seen some of their data and they are approaching 325KTAS at FL350 and 340KTAS at FL280. 

I could not, of course, put the 5-blade props in the visual model, but the performance is there.

Summary:

1.  Since Carenado failed to put a landing gear position indicator in the airplane, I used open spaces in the lower annunciator panel for the function.

2.  XMLTools engine start sequence and adjusted propeller dynamics.  No more runaway engine and much less abrupt coming in and out of Beta. 

3.  Optional Torque Limiter (fictitious for this airplane).  Some folks like it because it tends to offset the abysmal engine PID controller in FSX/P3D.

4.  Corrected starter/generator functionality. 

5.  Contact points corrected to coincide with visual model.  FDE updated accordingly. 

6.  Blackhawk PT-6-67A performance.

7.  Optional pressurization controller.  Pressurization automatically controlled through autopilot altitude select function.  The pressurization controller is well out of the way in the VC and Carenado did not provide a 2D popup for it. 

8.  Optional throttle and propeller matching algorithm.  With power levers or propeller levers very close together (assumes pilot intends to match levers), the levers are automatically matched anywhere throughout the operating range. 

9. Works with default PL21 or the GTN mod. 

10.  Added clickspots for altitude, heading, course, vertical speed, climb speed.

11.  Added TO/GA button to autopilot VC panel.  Most folks do not have a hardware TO/GA button and the one in the VC is difficult to engage.  While the button is fictitious, it is very convenient and adds a standard functionality to the airplane. 

12.  Flap aerodynamics changed to more accurately simulate real world behavior. 

13. FLC mode now captures selected altitude. 

14. Corrected excess glare in night cockpit textures.   

I am not yet finished with the details but it should be ready within the next couple of weeks or so.  I will send it out to everyone that is already on the mailing list for the C90GTX, C441, 690B, and PA31T.  If you have not previously sent me an email address and would like to try this mod when it's finished, please PM me your email address. 

Happy New Year!

Bill

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Great Bill!! I like this bird and with this mod surely we will have a real beast really nice to fly. I am PM you so I can have your mod as soon is available. Many thanks for your great work!!

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Roberto

Im flying with this one right now and it is top notch!

Thanks a lot @whamil77 for this mod. 

btw, anyone has a pfpx profile for the king air? i cant find it

Juan Ramos

Back from family time and testing now. Finally FLC works! Hoping down the road to get to fly a -67/5 blade prop real world, just to see how the numbers stack up against a stock 350. Is there anything else that can be done on the PL21 for both planes to get it closer to the real one?

18 hours ago, Victory103 said:

Back from family time and testing now. Finally FLC works! Hoping down the road to get to fly a -67/5 blade prop real world, just to see how the numbers stack up against a stock 350. Is there anything else that can be done on the PL21 for both planes to get it closer to the real one?

I won't even approach the PL21.  I bought the MILVIZ B350i 4 years ago and still haven't seen it because they are having so much trouble getting their version of PL21 right.  So.....it's outta my league.  I am doing some work on the autopilot messages in the GTN PFD which would likely carry-over to the PL21 PFD.  I have made some changes that make sense to me, but without an operating manual I don't know if the are real world valid. 

Let me know what you need Bill, fly the real one. I spoke too soon on the FLC, would not hold in the decent, held 10-15kts slower then selected not an issue as "VS" or PITCH can be used. On the TOGA button, in the 350 it only pulled up the 2D FGP (autopilot) panel and nothing on the PFD? Will the GTN auto advance to the missed approach waypoint? Do the prop adjustments show any changes to the MFD, as I'm not getting minimum 1050 prop rpm even at low idle, have to move the condition levers to HI, which are running at 73 N1, minimum 70%.

Not sure if the PFD is following the GTN in LNAV+V modes, although the GP was showing during the approach. Regardless, I was happy to complete a full missed approach holding via the GTN, even entered holding correctly! Sadly the FMS may never get this function in this model.

Completely understand the PL21 situation, many pages and code to write.

On 1/4/2018 at 11:41 PM, Victory103 said:

Let me know what you need Bill, fly the real one. I spoke too soon on the FLC, would not hold in the decent, held 10-15kts slower then selected not an issue as "VS" or PITCH can be used. On the TOGA button, in the 350 it only pulled up the 2D FGP (autopilot) panel and nothing on the PFD? Will the GTN auto advance to the missed approach waypoint? Do the prop adjustments show any changes to the MFD, as I'm not getting minimum 1050 prop rpm even at low idle, have to move the condition levers to HI, which are running at 73 N1, minimum 70%.

Not sure if the PFD is following the GTN in LNAV+V modes, although the GP was showing during the approach. Regardless, I was happy to complete a full missed approach holding via the GTN, even entered holding correctly! Sadly the FMS may never get this function in this model.

Completely understand the PL21 situation, many pages and code to write.

There was a mistake in the stock B350i GTN panel on the TOGA clickspot.  I just sent out an update.

The low idle thing is puzzling.  I get just over 1100 RPM at low idle which I have set to 65%.  It's necessarily considerably higher on the Blackhawk version to keep the ground handling reasonable.   

All I did with FLC was ensure that is was selected and working and that it disengaged when the selected altitude was reached.  Its internal shortcomings are inherent in FSX/P3D.

At the MAP, the GTN will ask you what you want to do.  A pop-up will appear with two options, suspend or execute the missed approach.  After selecting TOGA, the autopilot is put in heading mode on the aircraft heading at its selection.  To execute the missed approach, push TOGA, select the missed approach option on the GTN and then select NAV on the autopilot. 

My biggest problem is operating in a vacuum with respect to information.  I got several hundred hours in an E90 in college, but have been military since.  I understand the basics, but specific information on aircraft and systems is surprisingly hard to come by on the internet.  Therefore, I have a question:

I am working on a mod for the KNC 225 AP/FD and fortunately do have a manual for that one.  In the KNC 225, selecting GO AROUND disengages the autopilot.  Is it the same for the PL21 autopilot?

Any feedback or aircraft information that would help me make these things more realistic is very much appreciated.  I am going to check the mod I distributed against my master.  The RPM thing has me baffled. 

Got the update, thanks installing now.

I have no idea how to code or I would love to dig into the systems provided as the SP will probably never come. The aircraft is more enjoyable now with these mods and I'm ok with them not being related to the real world PL21. The 350i and GTX were pretty much shelved for me and I went back to the EFIS B200 and even had the crazy thought of a single turboprop, the PC12.  I've been impressed with the F1 GTN and I'm adding it to all my FS aircraft, including helos.

Yes, GA will disengage the AP yet leave YD on, put up +7 pitch bars and revert to ROLL mode to capture the heading when selected regardless of where the actual heading bug is (most of us constantly "synch" the HDG bug anyway, especially during approaches).