Sign in to follow this  
Kiwon Kim

747 ILS frequency setting

I am almost sure that most airlines‘ SOP require a manual ILS tuning over the automatical to make sure it was checked and acknowledged.. just like the accel height for example.. 

On 2017. 12. 30. at 8:44 PM, rjfry said:

Then my 747-400 must be incorrect I have flown EGCC - EGLL with nav radio EG HON ,CPT,HEATHROW VOR`s , but it will not accept freq 113.60 ILS RUNWAY 9LFT.

On 2017. 12. 30. at 10:50 PM, Olympic260 said:

You must put the frequency and course on NAVRAD at where it says ILS. If you try to put only the ILS freq it will not work. So for 9R you need to enter 109.50/092 or what ever the crs is

I found the ILS frequency was set by automatically.. I thought that I need to input frequency manually but it's not.

When i click NAV/RAD button on FMC, there was already set a frequency for ILS 

That's what i want to know ..

Thanks

On 2017. 12. 30. at 8:25 PM, rjfry said:

I think he`s asking about ILS Landing freq tuning, 

Yes..right..

On 2017. 12. 30. at 8:25 PM, rjfry said:

I think he`s asking about ILS Landing freq tuning, 

Yes I am asking about ILS freq tuning by manually for PMDG 747 

On 2017. 12. 30. at 7:01 PM, Olympic260 said:

Click on your user name on top right. Select Account settings and signature. Put your name, first and last in the signature box and save.

Thank you for your kindness :biggrin:

On 2017. 12. 30. at 8:14 PM, rjfry said:

I think he is asking about manual tuning of the nav radios which I believe in PMDG aircraft is not included.   

I agree that PMDG aircraft is not included a function for nav radios manual tunning except NGX737,JS4100

7 minutes ago, Kiwon Kim said:

I agree that PMDG aircraft is not included a function for nav radios manual tunning except NGX737,JS4100

On the 744 you can tune the nav radios manual, but via the CDU/Nav rad page.

During flight mostly the VOR-stations (and ILS) are tuned automatically, but you can manual select frequenties and radials and even intercept radials to your needs ...

3 minutes ago, Kiwon Kim said:

No, this is not correct. Please do not make or repeat assertions that are not true (this requires that you do a little verification, or in this case, reading of the other posts in this thread). Raymond was not correct in this assertion, which was clarified a few posts later. Please read the thread carefully. This is how misinformation spreads (same goes for you, Raymond).

We modeled our 747-400 after the real 747-400. The real 747-400 does not have hardware radios that you manually tune for the NAV function like the NG and JS4100, so ours doesn't either. You use - as others have mentioned - the NAV/RAD page of the CDU to manually tune things, but this is not necessary. It's done for you.

Should you choose to do this on your own, you must (as you would in the real aircraft) use the NAV/RAD page. The proper format is FFF.FF/CCC (where F is the frequency and C is the course - the course MUST be included for all ILS/LOC frequencies). This is described in further detail in the FCOMs.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Yes I can confirm Kyle was right, I like to manual fly the 747-400 to practise handling with controls but I can before take-off from EGCC enter 110.30/092 in the CDU L4 I'm now setup for ILS 9L Heathrow, the same can be done for any runway at you distention airport.

The main thing is you must enter the true heading after the runway ils frequency in the case of Manchester /055

This can all be done on CDU Nav Radio selected button the same as VOR frequency's LI and L2. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

The main thing is you must enter the true heading after the runway ils frequency in the case of Manchester /055

Actually as per the chart the ILS course at EGCC is 053.

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

EGCC enter 110.30/092 in the CDU L4 I'm now setup for ILS 9L Heathrow, the same can be done for any runway at you distention airport.

Same for the EGLL, the course is 090.

In the RAD NAV page for the ILS, you must enter the ILS course (magnetic), not the geographic runway heading.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

8 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

I am almost sure that most airlines‘ SOP require a manual ILS tuning over the automatical to make sure it was checked and acknowledged.. just like the accel height for example.. 

Unfortunately, this statement is not correct either. 

During normal operation the FMC will auto tune all three ILS receivers for you provided the runway has some sort of ILS or a VOR/VFR published approach procedure.  This tuning will happen when approaching the destination or close to the TOD; i.e.within 150nm or 50nm of the destination respectively. The crew are only required to check that the correct ILS frequency and indications are being displayed on the PFD and ND before they are allowed to use it to fly the approach.  The ILS audio Ident can of course always be checked if there is any doubt.

Incidentally, there are a few occasions where the ILS (auto) tuning can cause you a problem if you don't fully understand the way the system works.  For example, both Auto and Manual ILS tuning is inhibited when you are established on the ILS LLZ or G/S with the autopilot(s) engaged.  Let's assume ATC clears you to land on the parallel runway reasonably early on an approach.  The only way you will be able to regain correct ILS auto tuning in this example for the new landing runway will be to first disconnect the autopilots, switch off both Flight Directors and then select and activate the new RWY and ILS approach in the FMC.  A good place to try out this procedure for yourself is on an approach into LAX because you have a choice of selecting three alternative parallel runways.   When you are at approx 2,500ft and fully established on RWY24L ILS with the A/Ps and F/Ds engaged try switching to RWY 25R; but be warned, you just might need the help of a good co-pilot (FS2Crew or similar would be nice!), if only because flight safety requires one pilot to always fly the aircraft whenever the other has to go heads down to make the necessary changes!

Bertie            

I haven't got 747 v3. But I saw Virgin 19 documented flight and they did a tour of the cdu. And it was a CDU NAV RAD.

I had the older pmdg 747 and it was the same.