Sign in to follow this  
jonss1948

New Syndrome - Simulator Fright

Just now, AviatorMan said:

Several weeks ago when I first installed P3Dv4, I had this same concern. So I went slowly, only installed one addon at a time, then loaded P3D to make sure everything was working. So far no issues. I have installed only A2A and PMDG aircraft, Orbx and UK2000 scenery. I would get on with it if I were you. As great as P3Dv4 is for performance and general scenery effects, the default ground scenery in my opinion is mediocre. P3Dv4 only comes to its full potential when Orbx sceneries are installed (in my opinion).

100% with you there. ORBX are the Man. There are 1 or 2 LC's I have to get, yet but the one's I have are so visually pleasing and such high quality, I'd be crazy not to install them. ORBX Scenery is not a major concern, it is all the other stuff like ATC and Ground Services type programs that fwighten me.. You're never absolutely sure about compatibility. I procrastinate. Procrastination, coupled with past experiences. exacerbates procrastination.

Jon

8 minutes ago, jonss1948 said:

it is all the other stuff like ATC and Ground Services type programs that fwighten me

Well, you can rest assured that the well known and popular addons won't cause any problems. Or they wouldn't be this popular. As I said I use Active Sky, ChasePlane, GSX, ProATC X and UTL along with FTX Norway + Airports or Norway along with PTA and HDE v2 (and PFPX although that one doesn't connect to the sim) and all is fine here. No, let me rephrase that: all is totally awesome here. Some of those addons I only purchased recently after getting the Majestic Q400 (which is THE BEST plane imho) and I never had any problems apart from the to be expected 'pilot error's' :wink:. Some addons take some time to get used to. But when it comes to the technical side of it all there are no problems whatsoever. Again, it's almost obvious otherwise no one would use those addons!

So don't fear and start enjoying the sim a bit more!

On each new addon I add in mine sim, I don't be quiet, because a computer is not a other and nobody have the same configuration. Sometimes I lost few days to correct problems. The way, I choice, is making a complete backup of mine system and sim before some less sure installations.

1 minute ago, J van E said:

Well, you can rest assured that the well known and popular addons won't cause any problems. Or they wouldn't be this popular. As I said I use Active Sky, ChasePlane, GSX, ProATC X and UTL along with FTX Norway + Airports or Norway along with PTA and HDE v2 (and PFPX although that one doesn't connect to the sim) and all is fine here. No, let me rephrase that: all is totally awesome here. Some of those addons I only purchased recently after getting the Majestic Q400 (which is THE BEST plane imho) and I never had any problems apart from the to be expected 'pilot error's' :wink:. Some addons take some time to get used to. But when it comes to the technical side of it all there are no problems whatsoever. Again, it's almost obvious otherwise no one would use those addons!

So don't fear and start enjoying the sim a bit more!

Quite right. Now to get into it. Everyone has been so helpful and I thank you for your re-assurance's. Still not looking forward to doing it, though.

12 minutes ago, ms2 said:

On each new addon I add in mine sim, I don't be quiet, because a computer is not a other and nobody have the same configuration. Sometimes I lost few days to correct problems. The way, I choice, is making a complete backup of mine system and sim before some less sure installations.

Back-up. That's a novel thought. I remember there were two folders needed to be backed up or copied and archived. Wish I could remember which one's. Was it Scenery and World. Anyone know?

Jon

BTW, It's now 12.45 in Australia so Happy New Year, everyone! Let's make 2018 a winner.

Jon

23 minutes ago, jonss1948 said:

Still not looking forward to doing it, though.

Another small tip to make things easier in the future: document what you are doing during an install!

I have backups of all my addon installers in seperate folders and every folder also contains a simple text file in which I wrote what I had to do to get things going. Obviously some installers hardly need an explanation (or any text file at all) but some addons, like ProATC, take quite a few steps to install properly. Such a text file would also contain settings that I changed from the default settings (like for Active Sky in which I change quite a few settings or for the Q400 for which I edit the ini's quite a lot) or folders with backups of settings (if there are any such files). This makes reinstalling everything in the future a breeze. Last weekend I reinstalled my entire PC and P3D plus addons from scratch and I was done in a few hours thanks to those simple text files. You may think you will remember what you have done but take it from me, if you have to reinstall an addon after a few months you will have forgotten everything about all the steps it required and the changes you made in settings etc.

And happy new year to you too already! I will have to wait another 8 hours here before it's 2018. :happy:

I predicted, once we got this 64 baby, that we will have nothing else to do except flying....Seems to me that we are missing FSX days....LOL..:biggrin:

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU !

• Upvote 1

Virtual Air Canada - Alex Luzajic

2 hours ago, AviatorMan said:

P3Dv4 only comes to its full potential when Orbx sceneries are installed

Absolutely true!

Russ

• Upvote 1

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

4 hours ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

I predicted, once we got this 64 baby, that we will have nothing else to do except flying....Seems to me that we are missing FSX days....LOL..:biggrin:

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU !

...and a Happy and prosperous New Year to you. FSX: A considerable amount of my life has been spent editing this and that with the program. CFG file tweaks etc. I can't honestly say I miss those days.

Jon

I am adding everything outside the P3D4.1 folder using the addon xml method...Other than FTX Global

10 hours ago, jonss1948 said:

I have a virginal installation of P3D v4.1 and I can't bring myself to add all of my sceneries and add-ons for fear of breaking a sensational sim. Does anyone else harbour that fear? I should mention I have installed 3 PMDG aircraft with equally great results. I have a shipload of sceneries, all the ORBX LC's and heaps more utilities and add-ons. I'm twiggered and I'm fwightened. I need a therapy dog. A safe space would be nice.

Jon Shearer

I have never been privileged with a virginal experience. To me, that would be terrifying. I am completely dedicated to experience with many different add ons. Each one is different and requires care and understanding to be happy. But once I apply patience and care, I have always been rewarded with performance, love, and happiness with every flight. :)