Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Cessna 337 fuel gauges?

Do the fuel gauges work? I've not tried going on a 500nm jaunt yet :blink:, but I would have thought that a recent flight where I used 10% of the fuel would have shown on the gauges. What I failed to do was rotate the fuel switches to the yellow, straight & level positions. Could that be an issue?

Thanks.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

58 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Do the fuel gauges work? I've not tried going on a 500nm jaunt yet :blink:, but I would have thought that a recent flight where I used 10% of the fuel would have shown on the gauges. What I failed to do was rotate the fuel switches to the yellow, straight & level positions. Could that be an issue?

Thanks.

Regards the fuel switches, it is possible to do an entire flight without moving them from the "off" position. Oy vey, this is one of 2 or 3 my biggest issues with the this model. Even the most basic systems are wonky.

Likely your theory is correct.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HighBypass said:

Thanks.

Can't you set the fuel tanks to 1/4 full for example and see what the gauges say?  I believe you can manually set the fuel quantity in FSX or its SE version.  JJ

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys!:cool:

I forgot to mention, this is the latest version (2.1 I think) as I only bought it last month.

Henry, if I leave the switches in the red (off) position then the engines will not start. This is useful when I shut down the front engine to taxi on the ramp - I can engage the starter so the prop stops in a more favourable position.:happy:

Jean-Jacques, yes I can set the amount of fuel via the FSX:SE fuel/payload menu and the gauges display that amount. I am not sure if the gauges actually show any fuel usage whilst in flight.

Edited by HighBypass
FSX version

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

". . . I am not sure if the gauges actually show any fuel usage whilst in flight."

Set the aircraft on autopilot and let it run for an hour or two! :biggrin:

JJ

I think I will have to do just that, JJ! :cool:

Mark Robinson

I fly this craft a lot and the fuel gauges do work  ...... it just gets incredible fuel mileage. It takes some time for them to drop from full but they do eventually get to empty.

• Upvote 1

Fuel gauges work in the 1.x version for me (I haven't tried 2.x yet), and using the fuel tank selector correctly reflects in the tank usage.

Yes, they do :blush: I did as JJ suggested, got the Skymaster airborne then set the autopilot, went & had a meal, came back, needles had dropped. Good mileage indeed with the fuel flow in the green arc.:cool:

Tell me, just for clarification, if someone would. Does it matter where the fuel switches are? I did have them set to the yellow sector, but would it matter if the switches were left in the green (T/O & Land) position? Incidentally the engines do falter and stop if you turn the switches off in flight. :happy:

Thanks everyone.

Mark Robinson

In the sim it doesn't matter. In reality you would want to keep both tanks being used, even if one engine has a higher fuel consumption, that's why you would switch to both.

• Upvote 1

It might all depend on how you have the flight sim set up.  If you have unlimited fuel in settings the gauge may not work at all.

Dick

FSX Deluxe Edition SP1 and SP2, Win 7 Home Premium SP1, Intel Core i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67 GHz 2.66 GHz,10 GB RAM, 64-bit Operating System

Hi Dick,

No I don't use unlimited fuel. Some of the planes I like to fly can stay in the air for hours as it is on full tanks! Thanks for asking though :cool:

Mark Robinson