Sign in to follow this  
ninerwhiskey9W

Grass textures showing through taxiway / apron

Hello

On some airports, I have seen that the grass textures are showing through the taxiway and/or apron textures in my P3D v4.1 install. 2 of them are v4 compatible, whereas one of them was made for FSX. I can see the taxiway and apron markings, but the grass also shows through.

EDAH by C7 :

ORbyO3I.jpg

EHLE by NL2000

tpjZaho.jpg

FMMI Freeware

4JLwq6e.jpg

I have moved the scenery order to the top, but it did not fix this. I am also using FTX Global.

A Happy New Year to all !

9W

This looks like a problem relating to older FSX AFCAD files, where FSX ignored the surface material draw flags for certain aprons and taxiways, but P3D now enforces those.

The only way to fix this is to use the latest version of ADE(v174) to edit the problem AFCAD, and use the tools in ADE to reset all the taxi links draw falgs to on, then recompile the AFCAD. May also have to check that the the draw flags for aprons are correctly set as well

ADE (Airports Design Editor) is freeware by Scruffyduck Software

Rob

Robin Harris

It looks like the detail1.bmp is the culprit.

I had also this problem. I solved it by using one of the detail1.bmp that comes with the FTX Aero folder („Fine“) if you have ORBX FTX Global installed. 

This can happen if you use 3rd party replacement such as REX TD.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

5 hours ago, geolpilot said:

This looks like a problem relating to older FSX AFCAD files, where FSX ignored the surface material draw flags for certain aprons and taxiways, but P3D now enforces those.

The only way to fix this is to use the latest version of ADE(v174) to edit the problem AFCAD, and use the tools in ADE to reset all the taxi links draw falgs to on, then recompile the AFCAD. May also have to check that the the draw flags for aprons are correctly set as well

ADE (Airports Design Editor) is freeware by Scruffyduck Software

Rob

Using that Draw Surface attributes fixed one of them, but the other 2 are still not working. In the last one, which is FMMI, it now crashes as soon as I start taking off.

21 minutes ago, Cargostorm said:

It looks like the detail1.bmp is the culprit.

I had also this problem. I solved it by using one of the detail1.bmp that comes with the FTX Aero folder („Fine“) if you have ORBX FTX Global installed. 

This can happen if you use 3rd party replacement such as REX TD.

I have both REX, and FTX Global. Can you explain what to do a bit more in detail ?

2 hours ago, ninerwhiskey9W said:

I have both REX, and FTX Global. Can you explain what to do a bit more in detail ?

1. you will find the FTX Aero file in: Your DISK:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\ORBX\Scripts\Aero\Source\Scenery.World.Texture.detail1.bmp.fine\

2. Copy and overwrite the detail1.bmp file into YOUR DISK:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Scenery\World\texture\

3. Make sure you make a copy of the "original" detail1.bmp before overwriting, just in case...

FTX Aero provides four different files: Coarse, Cracked, Fine and Soft.

I replaced my one with FINE, which worked and the appron texture looked normal again (no grass look). You may also try other ones. Some people prefer Coarse - you can also try that one. A preview picture is included in the respective folders.

For comparison: https://www.tapatalk.com/topic/20882-ftx-community/123624-ftx-aero-detail-bump-map-comparison

Good luck!

Chris

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Hi,

I have this issue with NZAA for P3D freeware by Robert C. Downloaded it from avsim file library.

The taxiways are basically grass.

I have FTX global and envtex.

Anyone faced this issue?.

Edited by ozflyer

16 hours ago, ozflyer said:

Hi,

I have this issue with NZAA for P3D freeware by Robert C. Downloaded it from avsim file library.

The taxiways are basically grass.

I have FTX global and envtex.

Anyone faced this issue?.

It is real easy to fix.  Get ADE (free) and the P3D SDK (also required and also free).  Open the AF file by Robert, select List and List all the taxiways.  There is a button that says something like "reset all flags," click on that, save the airport and compile it.  Put it in place of the original AF file.  Easy.

Dan Downs KCRP

16 hours ago, downscc said:

It is real easy to fix.  Get ADE (free) and the P3D SDK (also required and also free).  Open the AF file by Robert, select List and List all the taxiways.  There is a button that says something like "reset all flags," click on that, save the airport and compile it.  Put it in place of the original AF file.  Easy.

Thanks.

Does this needs to be done on pic running the simulator, or can it be done on a different pc?

apologies if it is a stupid question. I try to keep my simulator pc clean and lean.

Absolutely nothing to do with AFCAD, it’s a well-known ESP bug and you just need to decrease the texture resolution in P3D menus by a notch or two. That’s all. 

5 hours ago, ozflyer said:

Thanks.

Does this needs to be done on pic running the simulator, or can it be done on a different pc?

apologies if it is a stupid question. I try to keep my simulator pc clean and lean.

The SDK is normally installed in the P3D root folder, and I think the way it sets itself up you'd need to keep it on the same computer.  It does nothing to the performance of P3D and its only use in this case is you need to have the BGL file compiler (bglcomp).  ADE uses the compiler to create the AF file in a BGL format.

As for the claim that this has nothing to do with AFCADs.... well, that is an interesting observation.  I guess the reason the capability to set  draw surface and detail flags in the taxi and apron objects that were ignored in ESP/FSX and implemented in P3Dv3 is a coincidence?  Yeah, stick to the theory that setting those flags will fix the problem of transparent taxiways.  This solves the problem without any changes to texture resolution.

Dan Downs KCRP