Sign in to follow this  
spearmint_flyer

CaptainSim 757 Released!

11 minutes ago, Dean_EGTC said:

Try a night flight.  Your opinion may change.

Is that a positive comment?

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

15 minutes ago, Dean_EGTC said:

Try a night flight.  Your opinion may change.

Do tell!

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Well I read this thread and wanted to thank people who posted about their experience with the aircraft.

The CS 757 was the very first payware aircraft I bought when I first started flight sim in FSX.  I still have the box with the DVD in it. It was really nice not having to fly a bunch of Orbit, World Travel, etc liveries and have a flight plan that was more sophisticated than departure and arrival airport.  I had an issue with violent wing rocking in the sim that was fixed with an update released by Captain Sim.

Fast forward a good bit and I purchased a new computer, eagerly loading up all my FSX DVD's onto the new computer.  I then loaded the CS 757 into the new computer and the violent wing rocking was there.  I went to their website and learned they did not support the box version any more, so sadly, the CS757 was parked

Next I bought the QW version.  While it was good, I personally preferred the CS version.  I was not really satisfied with the QW bird in P3D v3, either.  I didn't like the cockpit textures and displays and found it somewhat off putting.  I missed the eye candy.

I am going to take a hard look at the Captain Sim version.  Hopefully it lives up to the good reports here.

Stephen Forsgren

I did a partial flight with the CS757 in P3Dv4 last night for the first time after purchasing, and I must say I was impressed thus far.

I was flying offline and I couldn't complete the flight because I had to get up very early so I needed some sleep.  Also my flight wasn't at night so I haven't had a chance to see the lighting.

I didn't have any problem with the sound, other than the problems that I'm having with sound studders on all of the aircraft within P3Dv4 at this time. 

I must say that so far I am very impressed with this 757.

It loaded the flight plan and all of the data into the FMS as smoothly as my NGX and it followed the flight plan after takeoff perfectly. I really liked it.

The takeoff was very smooth and felt like what I believe it should in this aircraft and the autopilot engaged and took over perfectly.

I have to say that Captain Sim is the master of textures and the aircraft is altogether beautiful.

I'm going to try another short flight now to see if there are any problems with the approach and landing. Afterward, I will try a night flight and see what the problem is there.

Not with intentions to influence anyone, but my first impression is very positive.

I understand those who want to consider more for this $75 purchase, but so far I believe it is worth every penny.

Bob

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, cparrott73 said:

I'm keeping an open mind, although I was disappointed with their previous 757 series.  On the other hand, their 727, 707, and L-1011 were all good to very good planes.  I am hoping the new 757 falls into the latter category, although I will probably wait a bit until it gets a little more polish before I take the plunge.  I would like to see the 757-300 and 757F model variants and possibly even the RB211 engine variant, though I have no idea if those are in the works yet.  (I assume the model variants are, at least, given that this is touted as the "base package.")

On the whole, the new CS 757 looks promising, and I am encouraged.

Looks like those are all planned add on packs to the basic bird, per the Captain Sim website.

Stephen Forsgren

8 hours ago, threegreen said:

Yes. Option is in the FMC.

Thanks much!

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

This skeptic is converted.  I wrote a while back that I was cautiously optimistic about CS and their ability to produce a good, reliable addon.  I read the various reviews and couldn't hold off any longer.  From what I have seen so far makes this a keeper.  I am currently flying the Cold-n-Dark scenario from KSEA to KLAX and the bird is flying wonderfully.  Very smooth and seamless flying, systems are quite robust, gauges are very smooth, the FMC appears almost fully functional and even the brightness knob works!  Flying with FF yoke the feel of the aircraft is great, combined with an updated (not complete: switches) sound package it is hard to think that you are sitting at your desk.  I won't mention the exterior textures or modeling as they have always been quite superb.  The VC is updated however it appears there are a few carry overs from the former CS757 release.  I am really quite happy with the whole package in general.  It looks as though CS has listened and has now released a great aircraft.... and a 757 to boot!  One of my favorites.

Well done Captain Sim!

• Upvote 3

\Robert Hamlich/

12 hours ago, ErichB said:

No problem.

Well.  Sounds for a start.  Auditory immersion is almost non-existent.  It's about as basic a sound set as you can get. No switch or knob dialing sounds, no recirc fans, seemingly poor engine transition sounds, poor outside wind noise sounds in relation to aircraft speed.  Sound is a really big part of the simulation experience.

The other issues are bugs or feature enhancements which would make a significant difference to the overall experience.  You can see a list of them on the CS forum.  

Thanks alot, Eric for the feedback and contribution. Deeply appreciated. I'm approaching the Buy Now button... Still, the sound 'issues' which you describe is a bit unnerving. The sound factor is a huge immersion factor. I leaned and experienced that with the FSLabs. 

How's the engine sound - from startup to shutdown?

8 hours ago, SoCal81 said:

Does anyone know if it will be released for FSX?

Thanks, 

Erwan

As far as I know it won't! This is only for Prepar3D V4.

1 hour ago, HUSSAR said:

This skeptic is converted.  I wrote a while back that I was cautiously optimistic about CS and their ability to produce a good, reliable addon.  I read the various reviews and couldn't hold off any longer.  From what I have seen so far makes this a keeper.  I am currently flying the Cold-n-Dark scenario from KSEA to KLAX and the bird is flying wonderfully.  Very smooth and seamless flying, systems are quite robust, gauges are very smooth, the FMC appears almost fully functional and even the brightness knob works!  Flying with FF yoke the feel of the aircraft is great, combined with an updated (not complete: switches) sound package it is hard to think that you are sitting at your desk.  I won't mention the exterior textures or modeling as they have always been quite superb.  The VC is updated however it appears there are a few carry overs from the former CS757 release.  I am really quite happy with the whole package in general.  It looks as though CS has listened and has now released a great aircraft.... and a 757 to boot!  One of my favorites.

Well done Captain Sim!

Stop it! My credit card don't like this. :biggrin:

Thanks all.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

3 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

Resistance is futile. You will eventually succumb sooner than later. I did, and so far rather pleased. It is indeed very expensive especially for one engine variant. IMO shouldve included the RR with it. I get the other model expansions as that makes sense.  Neverthelss, being a 757 fan, I pushed the buy button based on the many positive reports.

Quick flight and mostly everything ran rather well, although had to intervene a few times with VNAV.  Seems the payload info gave a wrong CG and had a very high AOA with it. As most have mentioned , the textures look really great. The classic feel with CRTs with 80s style of a functioning cockpit is fully immersed. Ive seen some comments that its close to PMDG. I would disagree as the finer details and refinements are not there but that being said its no slouch and holds its own in the areas it needs to.  I think sounds could be improved, but they seem to be aware of it amongst some other bugs, although not show stoppers by any means. Could also use some more modern techniques for entering ZFW, fuel loading, and better preflight interaction. (Who the heck uses the sim menu anymore to load fuel?) All in all its a whole lot of fun.  If they listen to the community and improve it further, then this will be a great CS product for them. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

1 hour ago, HighTowers said:

Resistance is futile. You will eventually succumb sooner than later. I did, and so far rather pleased. It is indeed very expensive especially for one engine variant. IMO shouldve included the RR with it. I get the other model expansions as that makes sense.  Neverthelss, being a 757 fan, I pushed the buy button based on the many positive reports.

Quick flight and mostly everything ran rather well, although had to intervene a few times with VNAV.  Seems the payload info gave a wrong CG and had a very high AOA with it. As most have mentioned , the textures look really great. The classic feel with CRTs with 80s style of a functioning cockpit is fully immersed. Ive seen some comments that its close to PMDG. I would disagree as the finer details and refinements are not there but that being said its no slouch and holds its own in the areas it needs to.  I think sounds could be improved, but they seem to be aware of it amongst some other bugs, although not show stoppers by any means. Could also use some more modern techniques for entering ZFW, fuel loading, and better preflight interaction. (Who the heck uses the sim menu anymore to load fuel?) All in all its a whole lot of fun.  If they listen to the community and improve it further, then this will be a great CS product for them. 

Interesting. Thanks for the answer. 

Yearh, you're probably right. Resistance is futile in this regard. I really miss the 757 in Prepar3D v4. 
A bit of a shame, that you can't set ZFW and fuel through the FMC. How do you manage that in the CS 757, then? Through an external application?

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

5 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

Thanks all.

Just keep reading the reviews and make an informed decision when you are ready.  In the meantime why not download the manual and have a look at that.  Do a search for 757 Captain III then click on Sim Ops and the manual will be listed there.

The FMC does contain a page (INIT button?) which has ZFW and CG trim calculations.  I think what Dave meant is the fuel loading is done via the P3D in sim menu at the top of the screen.  I am hoping that CS will make the FMC the central control point for FS related items like fuel distribution, payload, pax loading etc.    

\Robert Hamlich/

The reviews so far have been mostly positive which is encouraging however after watching a startup video I noticed the aircraft still suffers from CS's "explosive" EGT startup, which has me worried about their engine simulation. Coupled with PW's use of EPR to set power (which are notoriously inaccurate for CS's aircraft), I was wondering if anyone has tested the engine performance specs against the book to see its accuracy.

13 hours ago, Brian_A_Neuman said:

Is that a positive comment?

'Fraid not Brian.  To be honest it's not that bad but there are some things that need to be looked at - the Map light is inop.  To use the FMC you have to turn the Flood or Dome lights on.  The key pad is not lit.  I can't find a way to change the brightness of the HSI or ND. You can the EICAM.  The Radio panel also needs the Flood or Dome to read - no lit keys.  Strangely though they have made a good job of the Overhead.  The FO has no control over his own lights.

What was worrying was I flew stock KMCO - stock CYUL.  The frame rates started to drop as the flight progressed.  By the time I was on Finals for 24R they were fluctuating between 13 and 4 :(

Another thing that will have to be addressed urgently is the Fuel Flow.  At FL410 with zero wind I was burning 6.4t, I'd say around 50% too much.

8 minutes ago, Dean_EGTC said:

'Fraid not Brian.  To be honest it's not that bad but there are some things that need to be looked at - the Map light is inop.  To use the FMC you have to turn the Flood or Dome lights on.  The key pad is not lit.  I can't find a way to change the brightness of the HSI or ND. You can the EICAM.  The Radio panel also needs the Flood or Dome to read - no lit keys.  Strangely though they have made a good job of the Overhead.  The FO has no control over his own lights.

What was worrying was I flew stock KMCO - stock CYUL.  The frame rates started to drop as the flight progressed.  By the time I was on Finals for 24R they were fluctuating between 13 and 4 :(

Another thing that will have to be addressed urgently is the Fuel Flow.  At FL410 with zero wind I was burning 6.4t, I'd say around 50% too much.

Indeed a bit worrying...

Can anybody else verify these findings?

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

19 hours ago, ErichB said:

Auditory immersion is almost non-existent.  It's about as basic a sound set as you can get. No switch or knob dialing sounds, no recirc fans, seemingly poor engine transition sounds, poor outside wind noise sounds in relation to aircraft speed.  Sound is a really big part of the simulation experience.

Everything was sounding wonderful, until this useful post from Erich! ..... Sound is a critical part of the immersion for me, so with no knob, button, ambient sounds, this one definitely isn't going on my list just yet.

Hopfully they'll improve things, but then CS have not previously been strong in the ambient sounds area.

[EDIT :   Just read on, that this may be a bug, and button sounds etc, are supposed to be there].

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)