Sign in to follow this  
spearmint_flyer

CaptainSim 757 Released!

Not taking offense at all, just my own observation prompted by the chorus of "down with FSX" that certainly has existed around here, and which to me seems silly and pointless. Your comments appeared to me to betray a desire not to see an FSX version. If that's not the case and you're not one of the ones actually singing from that particular hymn sheet, then I'm delighted to hear it.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Holdit said:

I'm curious about this too as I already have the Captain Sim (version 2?) 757, so I'd like to know what the gain would be if it "(Grand)son of 757" comes to FSX. 

I haven't purchased it yet myself but I will as soon as the first update rolls out fixing the bugs which have been discovered thus far and will be in the coming weeks.

From what I have read it has been redone from scratch and is much more sophisticated in terms of systems. It is supposed to be a study-level sim which the first version was not. Plus more eye candy and performance improvements.

• Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

On 11/01/2018 at 3:55 PM, Holdit said:

The more sims covered the better, surely.

I can't say I'm in agreement with that statement in the context upon which it was used.

On principal, it is of course correct that as many sims as possible are covered, but right now that means stunting development IMO. 64-bit sims are a thing now, so it's no surprise that many developers are going for those sims only going forward. It was painful for me to give up FSX with everything I'd put into it, but eventually the world moves on. FSX is a 12 year old sim which has been around a lot longer support wise, than anyone could have predicted at release. 

I think as time goes by we'll see fewer and fewer products with FSX versions. Bare in mind, a lot of these recent editions to FSX were in development a ways before XP11 or P3D V4 hit the market. I'd take a guess and suggest anything starting development post those releases, will unlikely see a compatible 32-bit sim version.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mgardiner said:

I can't say I'm in agreement with that statement in the context upon which it was used.

Hi Folks,

LOL - I heard that a lot when FSX was king and I was the FS9 holdout - you FS9 guys are a boat anchor dragging development efforts down... I skipped FSX entirely going straight to P3Dv3... I recall a post on FlyTampa that stated FlyTampa, FSDT, and Flightbeam were going 64 only from here on out... Whether or not they stick to this remains to be seen... At this point - I think we're going to see a lot of this...

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

6 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

LOL - I heard that a lot when FSX was king and I was the FS9 holdout - you FS9 guys are a boat anchor dragging development efforts down... I skipped FSX entirely going straight to P3Dv3... I recall a post on FlyTampa that stated FlyTampa, FSDT, and Flightbeam were going 64 only from here on out... Whether or not they stick to this remains to be seen... At this point - I think we're going to see a lot of this...

Regards,
Scott

I of course agree with your sentiments, as I remember it distinctly myself. However, I would argue this is not an apples to apples comparison in this case as it was between FS9 & FSX. In reality there wasn't a great deal between them for the most part. Indeed they are both 32-bit sims for example, which means ultimately they both are limited in that regard. 

With the market moving onto the 64-bit platform, I just don't see how what is in effect a situation which limits development can survive in the long term. It was easy to hold onto FS9 when FSX was released. I'm not sure how easy it is to hold onto FSX at this point, as I do feel development wise you'd be left behind quite quickly.

Just my opinion of course.

For clarification...I'm not saying that add-on developers should keep developing for FSX. I'm well aware of and have no problem with the fact that developers will, at various speeds, move away from FSX and FSX:SE (and this may well be accelerated further if FSW gains traction). I've seen how it works. I came in to civilain simming on FSX when there were plenty of FS9 add-ons still coming out and I noticed how they gradually tailed off and stopped. Fine, such is the way of things, and so shall it be with FSX, but I never felt the need to wish for the end of production of FS9 add-ons. I was using FSX, so whatever happened with FS9 had no relevance for me...if guys were getting what they wanted from it then good  luck to them. If they could still get newly-developed add-ons for it, then great. I never once imagined that somehow my simming needs were somehow being neglected because someone was still producing add-ons for FS9, or that the hobby was somehow being held back or damaged by FS9's continued popularity. If I moved to P3D tomorrow my attitude towards FSX would be exactly the same.

What I don't get, though, is simmers actually calling for the end of development on older platforms. What difference does it make to them? Slower releases of add-ons? If developers are still creating for FSX then that's because they see some profit in it for them, and they will be the ones who will make the call. Again, as it should be. Why some simmers imagine that developers should voluntarily shut of a large (even if no longer the largest) portion of their revenue stream so they can get their new toys quicker is beyond me. Can anyone even quantify how much FSX development slows down P3D releases? Not at all with Captain Sim, since they've gone with a P3D-first release. Fine with me, even if I did want it. Likewise the new Maddog. P3D first? No problem.

I'm not even fighting for FSX here. Personally, I have enough add-ons to keep me very busy with FSX for at least two years without buying another thing. Nevertheless, if a compelling reason comes along to jump ship to P3D, I'll do it. Perhaps if some sufficiently amazing P3D add-on comes out that I feel I just have to have, or if I start hitting the 4GB limit and can no longer avoid it. My issue isn't with P3D or the path of future development. I just don't like the bandwagon effect that seems to surface on AVSIM every so often.

Before p3d v4 64bits, less developers have making real versions for p3d, was just fsx versions working in P3D. A lot of old addons was sold as new ones.

As me, a lot of simmers was awaiting a 64 bits software evolution of fsx because the nightmare of OM.

Now this new version offer so many possibilities of development that is normal to forget progressively fsx-fs9. From past to future is the good way.

Mark

2017 was a great sim year for evolutions.

Quick!  How does it work?  

Oh, I just saw Version 1.1 is due to come out.  I think I'll still wait until that is released.  But I'm glad to see they are working on it.

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

No fuel flow fix?  This should have been top priority.

• Upvote 1