Sign in to follow this  
fofs

Download of Past Purchases at FSPilotShop

Just to keep this issue alive  FSPilotshop is the only site that Ive had dealings with that tries to charge to re-download purchased downloadable products.  As a direct result of this policy I have since avoided purchasing anything further from this site.

• Upvote 1

Necroposting is frowned upon.  Best to start a new topic as much of the info in previous really old conversations is no longer valid.  So I split your post from the old topic.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:06 AM, fofs said:

Just to keep this issue alive  FSPilotshop is the only site that Ive had dealings with that tries to charge to re-download purchased downloadable products.  As a direct result of this policy I have since avoided purchasing anything further from this site.

Although I purchased quite a bit of stuff from them in the past (mainly in my FS9 days), the policy of charging for a re-download is unfair and has put me off buying very much from them in recent years apart from some bargains in sales. However having paid their charge to re-download a number of FSX products a few years ago, I should point out that with some products (not all) they refunded me the charge although this has not happened with some more recent re-downloads, perhaps because I have not been an active purchaser from them of late.

Bill

• Upvote 1

Every bit of software I have downloaded resides on my RAID 1 NAS box. If you're going to buy software surely it's down to the customer to keep it secure.

I don't blame companies for charging for re-downloads. Bandwidth isn't free.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I don't blame companies for charging for re-downloads. Bandwidth isn't free.

It's around 2 cents a gigabyte. Unless you're in the business of global scenery or some other large-size products, it's a cost of doing business.

Cheers!

Luke

• Like 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

3 minutes ago, Luke said:

It's around 2 cents a gigabyte. Unless you're in the business of global scenery or some other large-size products, it's a cost of doing business.

Cheers!

Luke

That doesn’t absolve the customer from keeping downloads in a secure place. What if the seller goes out of business?

I’ve never had to download a purchased item a second time. People spend thousands on hardware and software for FS but won’t invest in storage for bought software.

I assume the same people don’t perform backups either. NAS boxes are ideal for those too.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

9 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That doesn’t absolve the customer from keeping downloads in a secure place. What if the seller goes out of business?

Completely agree with you there. I was just pointing out that the cost to the vendors is almost as close to zero as you can get, and there's no economical reason I can think of to charge for extended downloads.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Probably as a deterrent.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Deterring what? (Well, downloads, obviously.... :) )

I am genuinely curious as to why the vendors would think this is a bad thing.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

You’d have to ask them Luke. :wink:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Haven't purchased from them since 2011 and never again. They were lock heavy on the forums and mean spirited so I compared them to someone running a model train store and yelling at people for coming into the train store to look at and talk about trains :laugh:

No surprise they are doing this

• Like 1

Matthew Kane

I believe they must be losing business because of this policy !  oddly I'm pretty sure I had a email from them stating that i will receive unlimited downloads FREE of charge of products bought & that the product with never expire from my account .   I'll see if I can dig up this communication.   It seems crazy to me that this company doesn't synchronize it's sale policy with other Flight sim shops.   I do & have multiple copies of purchased downloads from them, but its always nice to know you have a backup to your backup if all else fails !  If other companies can do it, why can't FSPilotShop ? Vote with your feet !

With their policy of charging for re-downloading I will from this day on NEVER buy anything from them regardless of the price and to add their customer service response time is the worst I have encountered with online stores and I fly with different simulators and addons from many many companies. Stay away from them they are bad news.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, surfcandy said:

With their policy of charging for re-downloading I will from this day on NEVER buy anything from them regardless of the price and to add their customer service response time is the worst I have encountered with online stores and I fly with different simulators and addons from many many companies. Stay away from them they are bad news.

You should invest in a NAS box for both system backups and storing software you have bought. I’ve had a Synology 2Tb RAID0 for a few years now and would never be without it.

Do you not backup your PCs? That’s awfully risky. The only time I’ve downloaded from the company I bought software from is because it was necessary to get the next version. There should never be a charge for that. If they do then report them to the author of the software. They could be breaking their agreement.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 9/7/2018 at 12:42 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

There should never be a charge for that. If they do then report them to the author of the software. They could be breaking their agreement.

That is exactly what FSPiliotshop does.