Sign in to follow this  
PointyTail

Autolandings cant execute

I have noticed that for approaches to some CAT III equipped runways, such as 7R at Fairbanks, I can't seem to enable both AP to facilitate a CAT III landing. Enabling the second AP simply makes the other AP disable itself. This happens both with just a localizer lock, and also with both localizer and GS captured. Otherwise, the plane is fully configured for landing. What would cause this?

Joe N

• Upvote 1

I discovered in my case that this was a result of using a startup panel from a previous version. Try creating a new one if you are using a custom startup panel state. Worked for me. I couldn’t enable auto land on any runway with my old panel state. Took a while to figure that one out, lol.

i7 3770K HT, 8GB RAM, nVidia 980GTX, Win7, P3D 3.4, FSG mesh, UTX, GEX, ST, ASA16/ASCA, NickN optimized

Hi,

Just in case, both nav receivers set to the ILS frequency and course?

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

14 hours ago, Budbud said:

Hi,

Just in case, both nav receivers set to the ILS frequency and course?

Yes. And gear down, flaps set, spoilers armed, autobrake set, and reference speed set. One odd thing though. The runway is supposed to be 72 degrees and is shown as such in the FMS and in the Navigraph approach plate. I set this as the MCP course. But the dial actually changes to 69 degrees when I capture the localizer, and I cannot change it. 

9 minutes ago, PointyTail said:

The runway is supposed to be 72 degrees and is shown as such in the FMS and in the Navigraph approach plate. I set this as the MCP course. But the dial actually changes to 69 degrees when I capture the localizer, and I cannot change it.

There is an option in the PMDG settings so that the course is automatically set to the course in the sim. If the magnetic variation differs in the sim from the reality, you will get a different course for the ILS than the current one on the charts. To avoid misalignment due to that difference, the PMDG retrieves the value from the sim and set it for you.
You can however disable that option.

• Upvote 1

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

MOD: Thread title edited.

Autoland is technically an independent function on ILS category. Provided you gave it the proper data, you could do it from an RNAV approach, too, in theory. The inclusion of CAT III is somewhat of a simism.

Kyle Rodgers

14 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

MOD: Thread title edited.

Autoland is technically an independent function on ILS category. Provided you gave it the proper data, you could do it from an RNAV approach, too, in theory. The inclusion of CAT III is somewhat of a simism.

Can you do a CAT III from RNAV in this sim?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PointyTail said:

Can you do a CAT III from RNAV in this sim?

Sure.   Almost all of my approaches are RNAV to the LOC or RNAV.  I much prefer RNAV, it's much smoother.  

I know of several airlines that do not do coupled CAT III approaches, all HUD.  You can do stuff with RNAV and the HUD that can not be done with just a coupled RNAV or ILS.

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

I was having problems using auto land my self and discovered the one big important factor is you have to capture the glide slope before the auto land will work

what you have to do is after setting up the auto land center with the runway length and altitude you have to make sure that the ILS frequency is set on both Nav1 and Nav2 then once you get the signal activate VOR lock once you are locked on the localizer you arm the approach and the engage the second auto pilot than just sit back and watch

do not forget to arm the spoilers.

I made my first auto land at KDEN the other day.

Are you sure that you are landing Fairbanks?  PAFA is 2R/2L - 20R// 20L.  Anchorage, PANC, is 7R/7L - 25R/25L. 

• Upvote 1

Jeff Doerning - PANC : RPVM

I had this issue today as well. I will of course try a new panel state and see if that solves it as I was using an old panel state.

Angus Rowlands: i7 8700 RTX Asus Strix 2080, 16 GB RAM

The auto land sequence will not work unless you first capture the glide slope

If after pressing the second autopilot button the first button goes blank than you have not captured the glide slope

26 minutes ago, Gary M Buska said:

The auto land sequence will not work unless you first capture the glide slope

If after pressing the second autopilot button the first button goes blank than you have not captured the glide slope

Yeah that was my issue actually, I tried it today and let the plane capture the GS before hitting APP and then both AP’s worked. Thanks 

No problem I know it drove me crazy trying to figure it out.  I could not get the second autopilot to arm no matter what I did. I must have watched several videos on how to do this before I finally figured it out.

13 minutes ago, Gary M Buska said:

No problem I know it drove me crazy trying to figure it out.  I could not get the second autopilot to arm no matter what I did. I must have watched several videos on how to do this before I finally figured it out.

Yes same with me it was bothering me that it was making me cranky hahah