Sign in to follow this  
PointyTail

Autolandings cant execute

This may not be as big an issue as I thought. I am having trouble reproducing the CAT III failures. So that's good!

On a related note: in testing this, I have discovered that there is no CAT III for KMIA, nor for any airport in Hawaii. I find this very surprising, given the kinds of weather they experience.

5 hours ago, PointyTail said:

I find this very surprising, given the kinds of weather they experience.

I've never flown into Miami with weather less than ILS CAT I mins. There may be a rare day, but to be honest, you pay for that type of equipage and monitoring. If it isn't high-frequency, it's not worth the expense. BOS? ORD? DEN? SEA? Sure. MIA? I can't tell you the last time I saw low ceilings/vis meriting CAT III there.

Kyle Rodgers

On 1/16/2018 at 1:35 PM, Gary M Buska said:

I was having problems using auto land my self and discovered the one big important factor is you have to capture the glide slope before the auto land will work

what you have to do is after setting up the auto land center with the runway length and altitude you have to make sure that the ILS frequency is set on both Nav1 and Nav2 then once you get the signal activate VOR lock once you are locked on the localizer you arm the approach and the engage the second auto pilot than just sit back and watch

do not forget to arm the spoilers.

I made my first auto land at KDEN the other day.

19 hours ago, Gary M Buska said:

The auto land sequence will not work unless you first capture the glide slope

If after pressing the second autopilot button the first button goes blank than you have not captured the glide slope

19 hours ago, aushie said:

Yeah that was my issue actually, I tried it today and let the plane capture the GS before hitting APP and then both AP’s worked. Thanks 

This is what I term a "Sim-ism." You don't need to capture the LOC before you arm APP. And you can't capture the G/S unless you're in APP mode.

Here's how you do it:

Get your intercept heading,

Verify you have LOC and G/S indications on the PFD (not the FMA, the needles),

Identify the station (eg ICJL) on the PFD,

Arm APP,

Select the 2nd A/P.

Reversing the order of the last two items is what gets most people.

Matt Cee

7 hours ago, PointyTail said:

This may not be as big an issue as I thought. I am having trouble reproducing the CAT III failures. So that's good!

On a related note: in testing this, I have discovered that there is no CAT III for KMIA, nor for any airport in Hawaii. I find this very surprising, given the kinds of weather they experience.

First things first

Not every airport has a CAT 2 or 3 approach

second the aircraft has to be certified as CAT 2/3 as well

third the pilots have to be certified also

And you are correct KMIA does not have a CAT 2/3 runway so if the weather does get that bad than you will not be able to use CAT 2/3 Approach and the airport may even close

Oh by the way there is one other factor that can create problems when landing and that is RVR (RUNWAY VISUAL RANGE) Every aircraft is rated and if the RVR drops below that point you will not be able to land.

I used to work at KJAX(JACKSONVILLE INTERNATIONAL) and was contracted to Delta and we had two MD88's that have a very low RVR so when the fog started rolling in these aircraft had to divert to another airport.

We had a B767-300 that landed okay but than we had to go and tow him to the gates as he could not see the taxi ways the fog was pretty thick. The RVR was down to less than 25 ft. Both MD88,s had to go to KATL and than ferry back to Kjax in the morning. which made our night a little easier

16 minutes ago, Gary M Buska said:

We had a B767-300 that landed okay but than we had to go and tow him to the gates as he could not see the taxi ways the fog was pretty thick. The RVR was down to less than 25 ft. Both MD88,s had to go to KATL and than ferry back to Kjax in the morning. which made our night a little easier

This reminds me of one of my favorite fog stories so please bear with me.  Control tower at Ramstein AB (many decades ago) during an IG inspection, C-141 lands uneventfully and acknowledges ground instructions to taxi to MAC ramp.  Weather is fog vis at mins and lower in areas of the base with plenty of trees where of course is where the Starlifter ends up after a left instead of a right.  So now the big boy is lost somewhere among the trees and revetments so an ops truck is quietly dispatched to the area to find the missing bird and guide him to MAC.  All this happened unknown, as far as we know, to the IG inspector in the tower cab.  Great story.

Dan Downs KCRP