Sign in to follow this  
Hassan

Big FPS problem with xplane 11 on my computer

Hello everyone

I have a Big problem on my computer , i can't exceed 10-15 FPS on xplane. With the lowest settings or max settings i have the same number of FPS i try to do a a clean install of windows 10 but the problem persists.

My Brother have the same laptop as mine but he don't have any problem (over 40-45 fps).

I have noticed that when i run xplane 11on my computer the GPU usage is over 57 % and the CPU usage over 24%.

Thanks you for your help and sorry for my Bad english

Hi Hassan. Welcome to the forum

Can you post your specs for the computer you're using?

I have a similar problem on my Windows 10 laptop when it throttles the CPU. Normally it will run between 50-60fps, but will suddenly drop down to 10fps or so, and the laptop is throttling the CPU at 700mhz.

1 hour ago, tonywob said:

Hi Hassan. Welcome to the forum

Can you post your specs for the computer you're using?

I have a similar problem on my Windows 10 laptop when it throttles the CPU. Normally it will run between 50-60fps, but will suddenly drop down to 10fps or so, and the laptop is throttling the CPU at 700mhz.

My specs are:

I7 6700hq

8gb RAM

Gtx960m

M'y Brother don't have any problem with the same specs.

For me it's when i run xplane i have pour FPS it's not in flight

Only thing I can suggest is to check the power management settings on the laptop.  Laptops are generally not as good as desktops when it comes to simulators, even though their specs may make one to assume otherwise.  The power management settings on a laptop may be throttling the cpu, even when plugged in, if they are not configured right.  Also the video card on the laptop may be using the system memory vs. vram, I've always wondered about how such power can be claimed on such a small motherboard.  My specs are not far off, I get superb performance in Xplane11 with all of it's settings maximized, but my system is a desktop.  The only thing I thought would limit my performance is my VRAM, but that does not seem to hit my performance.   Also, how is performance outside of major city, in rural areas where there is only autogen and mesh?  If it is better, you may have to limit flying to such areas.

John

2 hours ago, Cactus521 said:

The only thing I thought would limit my performance is my VRAM, but that does not seem to hit my performance.   Also, how is performance outside of major city, in rural areas where there is only autogen and mesh?  If it is better, you may have to limit flying to such areas.

John

Yes, that is another very important point which new users (especially new to flight simulation)  might not know:

In a flight simulator (and definitely with X-Plane) there is no such thing as a guaranteed FPS! It relies extremely on a lot of factors like:

• what your rendering settings are
  • where you are flying (over water, where almost nothing has to be rendered or in the middle of New York)
  • what add-ons you have loaded:
    • scenery (overlays, airport etc.)
    • aircraft (there are very "simple2 aircraft with little FPS impact and there are super complex aircraft which can massively drop your FPS)
    • plugins

The possible combinations are endless ... and thus even on the same computer you can see a very wide range of different FPS depending on what XP11 has to do a t a given moment.

One more thing: especially VRAM can be a very delicate thing ... until there is free space in VRAM, your GPU might perform OK ... but when it gets saturated (full) it can lead to a very hard FPS drop (not just some gentle degradation) as the GPU then needs to start to page VRAM into main computer memory (and if your main RAM is also small - which 8 GB is - then it might get even worse).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, alpilotx said:

until there is free space in VRAM, your GPU might perform OK ... but when it gets saturated (full) it can lead to a very hard FPS drop (not just some gentle degradation)

When I upgraded my GTX 770 4GB to GTX 1070 8GB (desktop), I didn't see too many more FPSs, but looking at VRAM usage, it went from about 3.6 to the mid fives with the same situation.  Then I noticed that my scenery was better and the whole system operated smoother.  I was no longer bumping the max VRAM memory.

John

John Wingold

I guess Xplane uses the Intel HD graphics instead of your Gtx960m. Make sure to force the usage of your Nvidia GPU, in the Nvidia settings.

The same issue here, whatever I change in settings the framerate does not change much, about 14 fps, it only helps reduce the resolution. Also in task manager changes in renedering cganges almost none in CPU consumption that is about 50% and graphics use about 86%. In the FSX there is clear difference when change settings and in full set up gives about 50 to 60 fps.

Desktop system, CPU is i3-7100T, mbo Asus B250i, RAM is 8GB and OS is Windows 10 version 64-bit.

As the onboard graphic is Intel 630HD that is above recommended older 4000HD, let me know any increase performance you get by change from onboard intel to external graphics like GT730 to GTX 1070.

1 hour ago, Robert Markusic said:

The same issue here, whatever I change in settings the framerate does not change much, about 14 fps, it only helps reduce the resolution. Also in task manager changes in renedering cganges almost none in CPU consumption that is about 50% and graphics use about 86%. In the FSX there is clear difference when change settings and in full set up gives about 50 to 60 fps.

Desktop system, CPU is i3-7100T, mbo Asus B250i, RAM is 8GB and OS is Windows 10 version 64-bit.

As the onboard graphic is Intel 630HD that is above recommended older 4000HD, let me know any increase performance you get by change from onboard intel to external graphics like GT730 to GTX 1070.

Your GPU is inadequate for XP11. It's the bottleneck and the cause of your low FPS. Changing to a GTX1070 should produce a big increase in fps, provided that you don't set the CPU intensive settings (number of objects and reflection detail) to max.

Increasing RAM from 8 to 16GB could also help your performance in some situations (e.g. if you hd meshes or high resolution orthophotos). But upgrading your GPU is really necessary if you want to increase FPS.

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

But if GPU is a bottleneck, why does reduce graphic settings from HDR10 down to minimum has almost no effect in increase of performance? In FSX change in settings directly effect it. Also the intel HD4000 or later is recommended hardware and HD630 is much later and stronger. Here is noted in forum that change of GPU did not have much effect on fps.

Integrated GPUs may be above the minimum requirements, but they are inadequate compared to stand-alone GPUs. The fact that fps improve when you decrease resolution, suggests the GPU is the bottleneck.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

1 hour ago, Robert Markusic said:

But if GPU is a bottleneck, why does reduce graphic settings from HDR10 down to minimum has almost no effect in increase of performance? In FSX change in settings directly effect it. Also the intel HD4000 or later is recommended hardware and HD630 is much later and stronger. Here is noted in forum that change of GPU did not have much effect on fps.

THe possibility that reducing graphics has no impact on performance could be because the sim is falling on the CPU. 

But as Murmur has said get a good GPU.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Could it be the issue is in the X-plane itself? The FSX had the same performance issue until Microsoft released an update. It is a bit odd that reduction from HDR10 to minimum has almost no effect if the GPU is an issue. Also as I remember FSX had improvements only by CPU increase, GPU has no effect. On my PC it performs 50 - 80 FPS, so I do not find a reason X-plane would go much less.

The removal of the front panel, i.e. increase fps from 17 to 26 fps. It does not have 3D elements that would be GPU intensive, neither is CPU very demanding. Some of the posts above also note different performance on the 2 matching laptop set ups. 

The x-plane should consider correct perfomace option with installed GPU as is on the most PC systems. GTX1070 is very expencive card, but also if you got mini-ITX system you may not have PCI-x port for it. 

28 minutes ago, Robert Markusic said:

Could it be the issue is in the X-plane itself? The FSX had the same performance issue until Microsoft released an update. It is a bit odd that reduction from HDR10 to minimum has almost no effect if the GPU is an issue. Also as I remember FSX had improvements only by CPU increase, GPU has no effect. On my PC it performs 50 - 80 FPS, so I do not find a reason X-plane would go much less.

The removal of the front panel, i.e. increase fps from 17 to 26 fps. It does not have 3D elements that would be GPU intensive, neither is CPU very demanding. Some of the posts above also note different performance on the 2 matching laptop set ups. 

The x-plane should consider correct perfomace option with installed GPU as is on the most PC systems. GTX1070 is very expencive card, but also if you got mini-ITX system you may not have PCI-x port for it. 

This is not a fair comparison because FSX is CPU bound. as your onboard GPU is not powerful enough hence can be said that many GPU oriented task are being thrown at the CPU. 

Objects are highly CPU bound in XP. Both CPU / GPU can be strained in XP on max settings. 

Remember XP11 level is way higher in visuals

I am using a GT630 2GB and I have seen XP off loading most on the CPU if my GPU OC goes crazy and that get's me around 12 fps. But most flights are between 22-30 fps depending on the area and objects

The laptop setups with the same config would be on different settings like Power Saving mode etc... on the laptop. You need to keep them on the same settings and then try.

I am considering a RX 550 4 GB (always preferred AMD GPU to Nvidia ). Though I will be CPU bound because it's an old system but I use other sims like il2 / DCS which are more GPU bound.

You can delete the preferences folder and run XP (Remember it will delete on the settings ) and start from there, but my advise keep everything to low.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

If you compare GT630 in FLOPS its matches about onboard Intel HD630. Classes matches names. Check for RX550 as they may be rebranded on different names by NVidia. The X-plane says for GPU, minimum setting intel HD2000, recommended HD4000 and above, so HD630 is much above. For the onboard is only different VRAM that is in this case likely used from RAM. 

As the x-plane is initially made for 32-bit system or the memory up to 3 GB, so it makes no sense why 8 GB in 64-bit PC may not be enough. 

Yes its got some better graphics, but if my PC is the latest edition from last year, not by Celeron, but i3, it is not to expect only 13fps! It should have setting for at least 25 fps, for present PC systems.

But I may notice many people have issue with FPS, so it may very likely be to software. Hope that Lamminar research is not sponsored by hardware manufacturers! :-)