Sign in to follow this  
GHD

8700K air cooling?

What are your thoughts on an Akasa AK-CC4010HP01 Venom Medusa Universal Socket 120mm PWM 1900rpm High Performance Fan?

George

Hi George,

Haven't researched this subject since my last build - 5 years ago - but Noctua was benchmarked at the top of the heap and provided better cooling solutions than many liquid coolers out there... Quality is top notch and the fans are extremely quiet - never hear them - actually replaced all my case fans with them as well... I am currently working on my new build and have a Noctua in my cart - they seem to be very popular around here and you might want to consider them for your air cooling needs...

Also - you might want to consider that "de-lid" solution replacing the heat transfer material inside the CPU as Intel screwed the pooch on this from what I've read... I think I'm going down that road with my new 7700K CPU...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

6 hours ago, GHD said:

What are your thoughts on an Akasa AK-CC4010HP01 Venom Medusa Universal Socket 120mm PWM 1900rpm High Performance Fan?

George

From the review I just looked at. it doesn't perform as well as some of the other offerings.

I would go for the best currently, namely the Noctua NH-D15S. 

In fact it's the cooler I use and in about a weeks time, it will be cooling my 8700K, so I'll be able to tell you first hand how the 870K performs with the D15S.

5 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Also - you might want to consider that "de-lid" solution replacing the heat transfer material inside the CPU as Intel screwed the pooch on this from what I've read... I think I'm going down that road with my new 7700K CPU...

Regards,
Scott

Apparently Intel improved the TIM for the 8700K. Still worth delidding though. Still a decent reduction in temp. 15 - 20 degrees I believe. I will delidd mine.

Thanks Martin.

I have revised my order to specify the NH-D15.

10 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Apparently Intel improved the TIM for the 8700K. Still worth delidding though. Still a decent reduction in temp. 15 - 20 degrees I believe. I will delidd mine.

Hi Martin,

Hah - I watched a couple video's demonstrating the delid process using one of those CPU crackers - as you tighten the clamp before you hear the loud crack - they suggest a shot of vodka between each turn of the clamp - I can imagine how they feel with a $350+ CPU on the line...

:tongue:

I plan on using the same cooler...

Regards,

Scott

My son just used that cooler in his 8700K build. He's happy with the cooler, but it was a real squeaker to fit in. He had to remove a shroud (just bling, but still!) from his MB to mount the cooler. Barely cleared the 1080ti and RAM. Check your dimensions!

• Upvote 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Hi Folks,

Kinda puts it all into perspective... I opted for a full tower on this build just to give me a little more elbow room to maneuver...

noctua_nh_d15s_9_2_1.jpg

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 2

Now, that's a large cooler.

How does the cost compare with a AIO liquid cooler? I ask, obviously, since space on the motherboard becomes a non issue with a liquid cooler.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

4 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Martin,

Hah - I watched a couple video's demonstrating the delid process using one of those CPU crackers - as you tighten the clamp before you hear the loud crack - they suggest a shot of vodka between each turn of the clamp - I can imagine how they feel with a $350+ CPU on the line...

:tongue:

I plan on using the same cooler...

Regards,

Scott

Ha, I didn't't find it too bad when I did my daughters 7600k. Just pretend you are defusing a nuclear bomb. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GHD said:

Thanks Martin.

I have revised my order to specify the NH-D15.

Its the NH-D15S you want. The "S" is important. It's the high compatability version. Still big though so check dimensions. Make sure it will fit your board and case.

14 hours ago, RichieFly said:

Now, that's a large cooler.

How does the cost compare with a AIO liquid cooler? I ask, obviously, since space on the motherboard becomes a non issue with a liquid cooler.

£72.99 on Amazon in the UK. Something like a H100i V2 that would cool to a similar degree would be £100.

I agree with the Noctua NH-D15  (or S variant).  I have the early version and on two separate PCs, it gave me BETTER (read than again, BETTER) results that the Corsair AIO H115 AIO cooler on both machines. Noctua got it 'spot-on' with that cooler.  Its also much much quieter than the AIO too.

Having just installed a custom water loop on my main FS PC, I've replaced the AIO in my secondary machine, with the Noctua NH-D15. This has a Sandy Bridge 2600k, running at 4.8GHz. that never gets to 75c with that cooler, whatever I hit it with.