Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

REX Sky Force Very First look

4 minutes ago, pracines said:

a better question is why are you advising people to buy something that does not work - or are you saying that the weather engine part of sky force is free? 

I harp about the 3000+ cloud types because we have only 3 cloud types in the flight sims - not 2000. We may have 2000 variations of cumulus clouds with different add-ons, but not 2000 cloud types. A huge difference.

We all need to harp about 3000 cloud types because that is the largest claim of the skyforce product, and until we see the evidence there is no sense in just believing it....its just too unbelievable without seeing it. 

Well the  same  for  you  than why are  you saying  not  to purchase it  than

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I'm confused. I get clouds equal or extremely close to those in REX E+. And check out my profile below......  The increment, if any, is small.  Not enough to separate me from my US $$$$s. 

I found a nice variety of high quality clouds, cloud types, and layers today between Asheville, NC, USA, and Lakefront airport (KNEW)  in New Orleans, La. USA, as I flew in for tonight's football game between Clemson and Alabama.  Should have captured screen shots. Is it my use of FSGRW weather engine then that makes the difference?  

It's all fantasy.  Both clouds and football fly-in. LOL!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 minute ago, pete_auau said:

Well the  same  for  you  than why are  you saying  not  to purchase it  than

I'm not saying not to purchase it, I'm saying I want to see that skyforce sky in an unedited youtube full length ( at least 1 hour  during daytime) flight. I want to see more than 3 cloud types. I already got my answer about redraws which makes the weather engine useless - but I will give the textures a chance - if the product goes on sale for 80% off someday.

Please ask yourselves, WHY o WHY has no beta tester or the rex company posted even a short video as part of the release celebration of skyforce? With all the new features listed in the manual surly there would be great excitement to post how much more real and awesome the flight sim skies are compared to what we already have. 

The screenshots on the product page show more of the same of what we have with the exception of a tornado, but how does that look and act close up in a video?

Peter, I want to be excited about skyforce, but I have not seen anything to be excited about except the printed hype in the manual. If I do see things to be excited about, then I will, with great enthusiasm, congratulate rex for a job well done. Hi-Fi, PMDG, and other get lots of congregations from me quite often because they do a fine job.

• Upvote 9

I got it.  Some growing pains here.  The good news is the clouds, to my eye look very, very nice. 

The bad news is that the weather engine didn't load the weather in the METAR.  I was at KJAX and it said the weather was overcast but it only loaded 2/8th cumulus.  I was hoping to really give it a tough workout and see some towering cumulus. Also, I can't say much about performance since I couldn't get good cloud coverage.

Also, the altimeter and (I think) the wind was wrong.  It finally got the altimeter right near the end of my flight.  Also, yeah, the redraws happened several times during the flight. 

EDIT:  I also got quite a few of those long dialog box errors.  Two at startup and a few more after that. 

• Upvote 2

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Guys - this is a new product release - there will be lots of info here. I do not want to lock this down because of infighting.

So, PLEASE - restrict your comments to YOUR observations and opinions on the product NOT your opinion of another's observations.

There will be some that love it, some that hate it and some in between - let's give everyone a place to voice their opinions freely whether you agree with them or not.

And let's give the product a chance to settle in.

Thanx,

Vic

• Upvote 14

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

25 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Why can you just not wait we have only had it a few hours and over the UK at the moment there is not 3000 ft clouds. Just wait and we will see.

It does not work on 3 cloud types, read the manual its free to DL.

Isn't you that called skyforce a NIGHTMARE? Yes it was you judging it very harshly on the first day and second use. How easy you forget. lol

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

The bad news is that the weather engine didn't load the weather in the METAR.

Hate to harp on it. Should take the time to post an image of my FltPlan.com flight plan for today's flight as it includes winds aloft. Then images of my GPS's indication of the winds it was experiencing. FSGRW was spot on with departure and destination weather, including clouds, wind, and baro pressure, and nailed the FltPlan.com winds aloft along the whole route from Asheville to Montgomery, to Gulfport, to New Orleans. I'd be wasting my time looking for more accuracy. Rather be logging hours aloft.

• Upvote 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Back OT, those purchasing and installing the software, there is an activation limit. 

Having issues with a stable connection for download, painfully slow, and had to restart my downloads a few times. On the fourth or fifth attempt to download, received a warning to contact support for reactivation. Support response was instantaneous and downloading again, few hours to go. 

Post some pics soon

Happy New Year All

Kind regards

OK REX got me up and running again. 

I just re did the flight with the flight plan loaded into SF. 

Very sadly the reloading of weather is there. Its like going back years. AS got that sorted. What a shame as its looks stunning. Its 2am here now so will get some sleep. 

Will try AS weather engine again with SF I only tried that once but its looked nothing like as good but the weather here is changing a lot.

37 minutes ago, pracines said:

Isn't you that called skyforce a NIGHTMARE? Yes it was you judging it very harshly on the first day and second use. How easy you forget. lol

I was having a nightmare as I thought I screwed the install up. All you are doing is putting it down before we can even have time to report to you how it really is. So can we not get the topic locked please and wait and watch other reports come in. Please don't twist my words. We are doing our best to report our finding to help people like you see what it's like. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

19 minutes ago, pracines said:

I'm not saying not to purchase it, I'm saying I want to see that skyforce sky in an unedited youtube full length ( at least 1 hour  during daytime) flight. I want to see more than 3 cloud types. I already got my answer about redraws which makes the weather engine useless - but I will give the textures a chance - if the product goes on sale for 80% off someday.

Please ask yourselves, WHY o WHY has no beta tester or the rex company posted even a short video as part of the release celebration of skyforce? With all the new features listed in the manual surly there would be great excitement to post how much more real and awesome the flight sim skies are compared to what we already have. 

The screenshots on the product page show more of the same of what we have with the exception of a tornado, but how does that look and act close up in a video?

Peter, I want to be excited about skyforce, but I have not seen anything to be excited about except the printed hype in the manual. If I do see things to be excited about, then I will, with great enthusiasm, congratulate rex for a job well done. Hi-Fi, PMDG, and other get lots of congregations from me quite often because they do a fine job.

ok  agree  with you on this  well said

• Upvote 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

1 minute ago, Nyxx said:

OK REX got me up and running again

Glad your back up and running. 

28 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

the altimeter...was wrong

Seeing the same here. It seems to be accurate to what's actually happening in the sim, but it doesn't match what the weather report says it should be. Wind seems fairly accurate on my end, as does a quick look at the clouds.

EDIT: Scratch that part about the clouds. Just re-read the weather report and it's showing FEW clouds which isn't accurate at all to what I'm seeing in P3D.

• Upvote 1

It does look so good and no screen shot can show it really. Off to bed.

23.jpg

• Upvote 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Just installed and all setup.
https://imgur.com/7mZe8JF

https://imgur.com/i2cxwKI

https://imgur.com/Y7gs0tU

https://imgur.com/iEvyQDq

https://imgur.com/UMOdJlE

https://imgur.com/eXU14RQ

https://imgur.com/xzPBtIT

https://imgur.com/zIJssfg

Well, prior to the release I said in REX forum that this will be a revolutionary product. I really expect it delivers much more.  But the truth is, the product is not even an eligible add-on in aspects of weather simulation.

First of all, the weather engine doesn't have some fundamental features, such as weather updating period, all I know is the weather updates every 10 min approximately, and it injects the textures into the sim. There are neither smooth wind transitions nor smooth weather transition as everything just suddenly changed and I have to say, the redrawing of the cloud is awful and ruined my first impression of SF3D. I have set the turbulence rendering to maximum but I did not feel it.

Texture-wise, I have not seen any 3D cloud model, there are still flat stratus clouds to be seen in the distance. Perhaps REX could make a video for us to demonstrate the type of clouds that is 3D-simulated? 

Performance-wise, everything was good at the beginning. But it gets horrible at the time when the weather is updating. I also get severe stutters constantly when flying through the clouds. The frame drops from 50 to 20, I never have this experience with ASCA+ASP4.

I have not seen the "AI-Controlling" feature in the program, it was introduced on the website. But there is no setting nor description in the manual. I guess you might need specific weather condition to make it show up?

My experience at the end is, this product is a failure compared to its elaborate advertising.

I'm sorry Reed, but SF3D doesn't come to be an adequate "total atmosphere immersion" product as said on its website and sadly it does not come to a satisfactory end for me. I wish you have success in the following "Force" product line. But that won't be a first-time purchase of my choice anymore.

• Upvote 11

Gordon Harvey

P3D, XP11, Flightgear.

This’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. My hope is that REX takes this feedback into consideration and improves the product to a point where it can be called revolutionary. It seems to have a ton of potential, yet the implementation appears to be a bit botched in terms of their weather engine. I’ll hold off on this for a bit and wait to hear what REX have planned in terms of updates, as they aren’t ones to not improve their products.