Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

REX Sky Force Very First look

I'm sure some are curious about the abrupt weather updates. Here's what Reed had to say about it on the REX forums. 

The abrupt updates are because we are using the standard simconnect process.  No way to smooth out without hooking the system memory.  We are working on Weather Force which will provide us a means to do much more.  It is not ready though so it will be coming later.

15 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

This’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. My hope is that REX takes this feedback into consideration and improves the product to a point where it can be called revolutionary. It seems to have a ton of potential, yet the implementation appears to be a bit botched in terms of their weather engine. I’ll hold off on this for a bit and wait to hear what REX have planned in terms of updates, as they aren’t ones to not improve their products.

I started a thread over at REX.  They said...

The abrupt updates are because we are using the standard simconnect process.  No way to smooth out without hooking the system memory.  We are working on Weather Force which will provide us a means to do much more.  It is not ready though so it will be coming later.

Honestly, for me, I think the clouds and haze are really nice...best I've seen.  Yeah, I don't like the weather updates but I'm going to stick with them.  They'll get the issues fixed.

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

3 minutes ago, Chaos81 said:

I'm sure some are curious about the abrupt weather updates. Here's what Reed had to say about it on the REX forums. 

So we have to buy another product to make this one work the way it should in the first place....lol Nice REX.

• Upvote 10

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

4 minutes ago, fakeflyer737 said:

So we have to buy another product to make this one work the way it should in the first place....lol Nice REX.

Gotta pay the bills somehow:biggrin:

• Upvote 2

After reading the impressions today, I'm sticking with ASP4+ASCA+ENVTEX.  It just works.

• Upvote 7

I love it so far. I love it more than REX 4 + Opus (what I was previously using) and love it more than the several times I tried out the Active Sky demos. I have never been impressed with AS no matter how much it gets praised. It's just my personal taste and therefore my personal opinion. The weather injection is great. I don't care about the sudden changes as I was still use to that from Opus. The clouds are very 3D for me. Going through them is incredible. It adds further immersion to the whole flight sim experience. I can't wait for Environment Force and Weather Force. Definitely well worth the $AU50 I paid for it, and so will be the other Force products. It's unfortunate some of you expected something else. It's everything I expected. This is all my personal opinion, with my personal taste, formed simply by using it.

mJLtmNp.jpg

• Upvote 2

How well does the product work with active sky as the weather engine?

Just curious to know what is lost by using active sky, now we know the REX engine has some drawbacks.

Does the atmosphere look and react the same with ac sky as it does with the REX engine.

Robin

Just now, Greggy_D said:

After reading the impressions today, I'm sticking with ASP4+ASCA+ENVTEX.  It just works.

Agreed. 

And after reading the official rex excuse for abrupt wx updates, I'm not sure how skyforce can even remotely compete with ASP4/ASCA/EVTEX

Hi Fi has no worries on this round, once again.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Romeo_Tango said:

Does the atmosphere look and react the same with ac sky as it does with the REX engine.

No.Not here at least.With the REX engine it all looks better IMO.But. If REX told us right away  of the  cloud re-draws I would not have purchased for sure.

• Upvote 3

Is the abrupt loading of weather changes happening with just the REX Weather Engine or is it also happening when using the Active Sky weather engine?  I bought the product and I like what I am seeing from the cloud models and textures but I have not had a chance to make a full flight yet to see the weather change.  I currently am using the Active Sky weather engine and have the REX engine disabled.

Brandon

2 minutes ago, thetford569 said:

is the abrupt loading of weather changes happening with just the REX Weather Engine or is it also happening when using the Active Sky weather engine?

Not with  AS.

anybody else getting a CTD when using SkyForce?  I get a .NET unhandled within the SkyForce program while P3D just shuts down :( :(

Does it have Soft clouds in built?

Mike

Intel 12700k No over clocking 32GB G-Skill 3600 Ram MSI RTX3080

18 minutes ago, MindYerBeak said:

If REX told us right away  of the  cloud re-draws I would not have purchased for sure.

This really needs to be said again.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, MindYerBeak said:

Not with  AS.

Sounds like the critics were right. 

seems you get the atmosphere as advertised, but only with the Rex weather engine which gives abrupt weather changes; that takes us back a step. 

Seems there isn't much point in getting the product with the mindset to use Active sky since we don't get all the eye candy without the Rex weather engine. 

I wish the product well but I will pass until, or if there is an update to address these matters.

Guess these shortcomings are why we never did get to see a recent video before release. Not sure how I feel about that going forward. Doesn't feel right.

• Upvote 2

Robin