Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

REX Sky Force Very First look

3 minutes ago, sanh said:

If you like the clouds like me. Buy. You don't, then don't buy. 

You know, this is actually a perfect summary and I have to agree 100%. So far today I've been running ActiveSky for the wx engine and SF for the cloud models & textures, and it's been a really pleasant experience. SF does cloud models and textures very well, and AS does weather very well. Mixing the two ends up being damn near perfect, to be honest.

Again, it comes down to personal preference. I too like clouds (and especially good cumulus clouds), so for me it works out well.

• Upvote 1

Intel Core i7 8700k clocked to 4.6GHz, GTX1080Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, MSFS installed on NVMe drive, Windows 11, Dell 27" 60Hz Monitor + Dell 24" 60Hz Monitor. Resolution 1920x1080. Game Mode on, GPU scheduling enabled (Win11). MSFS settings: High-End for airlines, Ultra for GA.

19 minutes ago, cgentil said:

Thanks for clarifying. So what should be the best setup? Play with them together maybe?

1 hour ago, Joseph29 said:

As a relative new P3D user (I had P3D v4 for about 4 months) I don't have any sky or cloud textures and I don't have a weather engine yet. With the different combos of weather engine, sky textures, and cloud textures it is a little hard for me to choose which combo to go with!

Unless you have money to burn I would suggest waiting until everything has settled down and it's clear what combinations of software work out best together, particularly as REX has yet to release their weather engine (Weather Direct or whatever it'll be called). I already own REX4TD+SC for cloud textures, and the freeware FSXWX engine does my weather and this seems perfectly acceptable for now.

As it stands there's various payware software available that does different but often overlapping things and aren't always fully compatible with each other; cloud textures (REX4TD/REX Ess, EnvTex), cloud visual injection (ASCA, REX SF), weather engines (AS16/ASP4, FSGRW, Opus). Oh and then there's REX Weather Architect which is a "weather generator" that can't use real world weather data so needs manually programming and is thus pointless...

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

2 minutes ago, J van E said:

You're welcome. Be sure to read my post once again because I made some mistakes in the initial version and edited completely LOL

The best setup? There is only one best setup and that's the one you like. :happy: I personally don't like to use too many addons for similar options: as it is now I only use Active Sky and ONE freeware cumulus file for ALL my skies (and things look perfectly fine with me) but that's just my personal preference. Your skies may as well look beautiful already with your current setup so ask yourself if you really need more cloud and sky textures. Or try to figure out if SkyForce actually offers something new. Or think about how complicated you want to make things. No one can make this decision for you!

I think for now will remain with AS16 and ASCA, it's stunning how it's now, so why should I change...

Yes I noted that because ASCA don't have runway texture, no problem.

Once again,

Many thanks Jeroen.

3 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

I would suggest waiting until everything has settled down and it's clear what combinations of software work out best together, particularly as REX has yet to release their weather engine

Good advice but I wouldn't wait THAT long though: REX didn't announce any details about the release yet and it may take another 2 years before it's here.

Just now, cgentil said:

I think for now will remain with AS16 and ASCA, it's stunning how it's now, so why should I change...

Indeed. Clever decision. :happy: Well, unless SkyForce turns out to create even more stunning skies. :biggrin: Before the release of SkyForce someone posted somewhere last week that things couldn't be better than with AS and ENVTEX but well, how can you say that before the competition has released their product...! And surely, there ALWAYS will be room for improvement! (For years to come!)

I will wait anyway until the first (proper) reviews are out before I decide if I want to spend money on this.

2 hours ago, J van E said:

If I come across a few nice skies the coming days I will take some more screenshots. 

Two more. Circumstances were a bit dull (I didn't dare to use real time weather today, it's storming here) but well, I personally (!) like these freeware clouds more than those photoshopped ensharped REX ones (or the ones from ENVTEX or ASCA). It's all very subjective. :happy:

EDIT For those who missed the previous posts: these are pictures of my HDE v2 clouds (only using ONE file here, 342 kb small, which surely beats 20 GB of textures :tongue:) with default P3D skies posted by request because I said I liked my current clouds more. :happy: I also added the screenshot I posted earlier again for completeness sake.

2018-1-3_14-33-55-787.jpg

2018-1-3_14-34-24-855.jpg

2017-12-11_19-37-55-313.jpg

28 minutes ago, J van E said:

Good advice but I wouldn't wait THAT long though: REX didn't announce any details about the release yet and it may take another 2 years before it's here.

Indeed. Clever decision. :happy: Well, unless SkyForce turns out to create even more stunning skies. :biggrin: Before the release of SkyForce someone posted somewhere last week that things couldn't be better than with AS and ENVTEX but well, how can you say that before the competition has released their product...! And surely, there ALWAYS will be room for improvement! (For years to come!)

I will wait anyway until the first (proper) reviews are out before I decide if I want to spend money on this.

Just let's wait for some reviews and opinions, and see if it's worth for who have ASCA.

I'll standby too!

19 minutes ago, J van E said:

Two more. Circumstances were a bit dull (I didn't dare to use real time weather today, it's storming here) but well, I personally (!) like these freeware clouds more than those photoshopped ensharped REX ones (or the ones from ENVTEX or ASCA). It's all very subjective. :happy:

EDIT For those who missed the previous posts: these are pictures of HDE v1 clouds with default P3D skies posted by request because I said I liked my current clouds more. :happy: I also added the screenshot I posted earlier again for completeness sake.

Too bad that the tool "Flight Environment X" wasn't further developed. I really liked these clouds.

Patric

3 minutes ago, pscharff said:

You were trying to say something...? :happy: BTW I edited my post: I accidently called my clouds HDE v1 but it's HDE v2.

Just now, pscharff said:

Too bad that the tool "Flight Environment X" wasn't further developed. I really liked these clouds.

Patric

Ah, ok, yes, FEX was indeed great in its time!

56 minutes ago, sanh said:

Plus it seems quite clear what to do. Fire up AS2016 and run SF in the background. Simple.

That is not really what all the noise is about. There are multiple issues which need to be addressed here, which includes an understanding what  firing up AS2016 and running SF in the background actually gives you.

8 minutes ago, pscharff said:

Patric

+1. I'd like to I point out the various innovations in flight sim cloud dynamics and who authored each one.

FEX was the first product to improve the quality and resolution of the 2D textures used for the sprites. REX Soft Clouds added a blur to the original cloud photos to reduce the unnatural cartoonist look. HiFi added both structural complexity to the cloud types such as CB and dynamic cloud types with its release of ASCA. HiFi also reduced the sprite-based "doorway" problem by adding an in-cloud haze effect in Active Sky.

And now REX has taken the structural complexity approach a step further with RSF.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, kingm56 said:

Sir, there's nothing clear about your message or advertising methodologies, which have been heavily scrutinized over the last few days. Perhaps you should review your own site before chastising those critiquing your product.  Here's what your site states:

"Integrated within Sky Force 3D is a powerful and robust weather engine (used bold font on your website) that takes full advantage of all the new features to give the best experience of our new weather system. The IWX (Intelligent Weather) Engine focuses on two simple, but powerful things: Accurate Data and Accurate Experience, which sets the bar when it comes to data and experience in ONE integrated system."

My questions are the following:  If your weather engine is as "powerful" as you tout, why is there is a need to use another engine?  Upon reading this description, do you really think its unreasonable for customers to believe we're getting the most accurate weather engine on the market? Does this sound like the weather engine isn't a "core" element of this product? Does it sound like you're advocating for the use of different weather engines?  Moreover, you state REX set the "bar when it comes to Accurate Data and Accurate Experience"  However, it appears the weather injected fails to correlate with reported METARs.  Concerning the latter claim (Accurate Experience), how does the abrupt climate changes correlate with this feature?  In all your hype, where do you mention SDK/simconnect limitations? Reviewing your advertisement page, I see phrases like "BREAKS THIS BARRIER," overcomes "constraints of the simulator SDK." In fact, here's a direct quote: "Even with costly similar (italicized on your website) aftermarket products installed, weather systems severely lack due to the constraints of the simulator SDK. SKY FORCE 3D BREAKS THIS BARRIER." I'm sorry, how are you making it clear that SF3D's weather engine is not a core feature of SkyForce 3D again? 

Now we get the following explanation:

"The abrupt updates are because we are using the standard simconnect process.  No way to smooth out without hooking the system memory.  We are working on Weather Force which will provide us a means to do much more.  It is not ready though so it will be coming later."

So, we have to buy another product to ensure this "revolutionary" product works as advertised on YOUR webpage?  Where was that stated clearly, prior to release?  BTW, the requiremnt to buy a new application adds to the aggregate SF3D cost, which nullifies the assertion quoted above (e.g. your product is better and cheaper than competing products). 

I'll close by saying I think SF3D is a solid, but hardly a "revolutionary" product that "breaks the barrier."  In short, like almost every other REX product, it doesn't live up the advertisement hyperbole littered throughout the manual and/or website.  To that point, I would not 'attack' (did someone really tell a poster 'good luck with their own weather engine') the overwhelming critical comments within this thread, as they're based on REX's performance to date (obviously doesn't apply to your textures, which are second to none).  I know my comments seem overly critical; however, I think they're justified based on the claims made regarding SF3D capabilities, coupled with my past experiences with REX products (e.g Latitude, WORLDWIDE AIRPORTS HD and Overdrive).  IMO, these product also failed to live up to the hype you helped generate.  To be fair, I'm only one customer; I know you have plenty of die-hard customers that love your work.  Therefore, speaking for myself only, you have some work to do earn my dollar back; then again, you could also 'wish me good luck on creating my own weather engine.'  Nevertheless, I wouldn't dismiss these critiques...

Personally, I prefer to do business with companies that deliver what they promise. Reading this brilliant post by Matt King does not fill me with confidence that REX should become part of said companies.

There are many nice screenshots and various videos available that look tempting, but if I have to shell out more money later on for Weather Force and Environment Force in order to experience this full-scale revolution, well thanks, but no thanks.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

6 minutes ago, ErichB said:

That is not really what all the noise is about. There are multiple issues which need to be addressed here, which includes an understanding what  firing up AS2016 and running SF in the background actually gives you.

I'd also like to know exactly how the model & texture injection works when using AS2016 with SF. Tagging @timest - I know you guys are crazy busy over there right now, but if you have a chance could you elaborate a bit more on how SF functions when using external wx engines? Like the factors taken into account when injection happens, how often it happens, and how it reads the weather data - it would help us a lot to make sure we optimise the way we use it :)

Intel Core i7 8700k clocked to 4.6GHz, GTX1080Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, MSFS installed on NVMe drive, Windows 11, Dell 27" 60Hz Monitor + Dell 24" 60Hz Monitor. Resolution 1920x1080. Game Mode on, GPU scheduling enabled (Win11). MSFS settings: High-End for airlines, Ultra for GA.

1 hour ago, Joseph29 said:

As a relative new P3D user (I had P3D v4 for about 4 months) I don't have any sky or cloud textures and I don't have a weather engine yet. With the different combos of weather engine, sky textures, and cloud textures it is a little hard for me to choose which combo to go with!

ASP4 & SF3D is a good start. Simple!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

The weather redraw (injection) issue is a deal breaker for me. I really hoped they would find a way around this problem and I was highly optimistic from the description on their promo page. I guess I'll pass this one.