Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

REX Sky Force Very First look

When ASP4 / ASCA came out their models looked a bit like that too.

Now , after several updates they look very good.

Imho REX has been focussing too long on textures.  They released one package after the other , confusing their customers.

As far as I can see it they are 3 steps behind HiFiSim. They are very nice people , doing their best , but .....

• Upvote 5

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

55 minutes ago, aktorsyl said:

For those who wanted to see more screenshots of the AS+SF combination.... I did another test flight today. KTPA to KEWR, with ActiveSky & SkyForce (clouds and textures, not the SF wx engine). Flight started in an overcast murky Tampa, and ran into some serious thunderstorms on the way to New York (it was set to historic weather in Aug2017). Screenshots of the trip are below:

BKz6Ewk.jpg

9I8I5kZ.jpg

fB09V0v.jpg

sEhwC3I.jpg

74GB0G2.jpg

xYGZ37R.jpg

DdqvRl4.jpg

61BroK5.jpg

guiIyj4.jpg

3c3MwlU.jpg

The anvil shapes look really very straight towering

Victor Roos

So let me get this straight, sky Force does not change cloud textures dynamically? With asp4?

if so that is dissapointing.

i guess I will stick with asp4 asca and envtex for sky and envshade

i was hoping to replace asca with sky Force to get better performance in really extreme dense clouds with AA

Thanks

mike

9 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

So let me get this straight, sky Force does not change cloud textures dynamically? With asp4?

if so that is dissapointing.

i guess I will stick with asp4 asca and envtex for sky and envshade

i was hoping to replace asca with sky Force to get better performance in really extreme dense clouds with AA

Thanks

mike

The more clouds , the more textures are being used , the more a framerate hit.

With very heavy weather and multiple cloud layers + rain + a high AA setting it will cost performance.

Try with a lower AA + lower clouds textures resolution.

Myself I fly with 4X SSAA with fair/cloudy weather , but with 4X MSAA if it is also raining.

There is no such thing as more detail + better fps...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

While we all have our own opinions about the software, I think there is an overall general consensus that weather in sims is very difficult to replicate. I know we will never get "real" clouds in the sim, but it would be nice to see actual 3D clouds. I am truly tired of spinning clouds every time I look down toward the surface. Even with REXSF, I still get spinning clouds. I am not sure what 3D is anymore because it seems that we have been promised 3D clouds for a long time, yet I haven't seen any 3D clouds in P3D. From what I have seen so far, I do like the software, although the weather engine sucks. I will stick with AS for now until they figure out how to inject weather that actually looks like what is happening outside. I have been a long time REX user and for all the hype about this product, it is truly underwhelming. Of course, we were all basing our projections on this product from a video that was posted well over a year ago that was still using P3D v3. I had hoped that since v4 came out, that it would be better, but looks pretty much like what it did in that video. Honestly, what needs to happen is Prepar3d needs to develop a sim from the ground floor. We are still using coded sims from FSX and we all know how bad that was. I am hoping that FSW will maybe contact REX or AS to get a weather engine and then all we would need is some aircraft for that sim to take over. While sticking with P3D for now, it may be time to give another sim a shot soon. Of course, I have to think about what am I really using it for: training purposes or capturing images. For training purposes, it does good, but the weather has always been lacking and I believe it will continue as long as P3D doesn't change. While there is always something to complain about, I am gonna try to find the good things about this software and stick with it Just my two cents...

P3D v4, REX SF3D, AS16, ENVTex, PTA 2.60, FSDT KDFW, KLAS, KLAX, KORD, KJFK, KSFD, KIAH, KMEM, KCLT FlightBeam KDEN, KIAD, KPHX, KSFO, KMSP

ASUS Z97 Pro + Wifi, Intel i7 4990k 4.0GHz, EVGA NVidia 970 4GB DDR5, Corsair 16GB DDR3 2400, Samsung SSD 850 250GB, 2x Acer 32" Monitor

1 hour ago, aktorsyl said:

Screenshots of the trip are below:

I really cant say that those CB clouds are convincing.  There's something about those textures which look fake.  I almost feel bad for saying it, but they're just not doing it for me.  Hard edged clouds just seem very, very difficult to make convincing in P3D/FSX.  The soft cloud effect is much more realistic and believable.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, GSalden said:

There is no such thing as more detail + better fps...

I thought this was going to be the breakthrough with SF3D though (particularly as the recommended cloud coverage setting for SF3D is maximum)...I wonder if REX can confirm that optimization occurs with third-party engines, or is it a requirement to use the in-built one?

On 1/3/2018 at 11:54 AM, DylanM said:

I wonder if REX can confirm that optimization occurs with third-party engines, or is it a requirement to use the in-built one?

Best to go to the REX forums for this information.

Locking this topic as it has run its course.  Topic title says Sky Force Very First Look and that is what the topic starter wanted to post.  Now we are beta testing and making comparisons with AS/ASCA.  Why?

Any additional comments below this were topics/posts merged into this one.

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi!

I've seen some amazing pics of this new addon, I think I'll buy it, so...Would be very helpful for whoever wants to know more about SF3D what are your impressions/reviews if you already have tried on P3DV4.

Please post your screenshots and share your experience here.

Regards,

Alex

Maybe not again already right now...? :happy: See the (closed!) topic below. And you might want to read that entire topic before buying SkyForce.

I'm good with keeping the conversation about SF alive, particularly if it highlights actual usage scenarios (visuals / performance / integration). The devs sound like they are listening to constructive feedback...

• Upvote 1

Depends on what you have NOW and what you are looking for. For ME it's an good addition to ASP4 and has the potential to replace ASCA i used for long time, but i still have to make further tests in the next weeks.

If you don't have an dedicated weather engine know i would take a closer look as it has an engine built in, but that one is not on par with engines like Active Sky.

At least it gives some pressure to HiFi to advance their ASCA as Skyforce has some unique features that ASCA lacks, like higher CB's and rainshafts, advanced cloud bases etc.

• Upvote 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

38 minutes ago, Alexx Pilot said:

Hi!

I've seen some amazing pics of this new addon, I think I'll buy it, so...Would be very helpful for whoever wants to know more about SF3D what are your impressions/reviews if you already have tried on P3DV4.

If you want reviews read them from people who have bought it and look for constructive criticism. Good and bad so you feel like your getting an informed opinion. Read as many of them as possible to form your own opinion.

Look at the AVSIM screenshot forums

Read over at REX forums to see problems that are reported and the patch to fix reported problems coming soon. 

Also have a look on youtube and do a google review search. 

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

3 minutes ago, DylanM said:

I'm good with keeping the conversation about SF alive, particularly if it highlights actual usage scenarios (visuals / performance / integration). The devs sound like they are listening to constructive feedback...

Exactly what I mean! Keeping alive the SF3D talk, sharing your experiences and tips in a single Thread could be helpful for everyone interested in.

BTW Alexx.

Before you buy any texture package with or without a weather engine. I would recommend buying a weather engine first before anything else.

I would recommend HiFi ASP4 as the perfect starting point.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip