Sign in to follow this  
Dutch1

I need a weather engine!!!!

I have P3D V4.1, I am using REX4 Texture Direct/Soft Clouds/ Enhanced Edition. I need a weather engine to go along with Rex. I am so confused about the new product Rex SkyForce. Is this a weather engine? I just want a program that injects weather into my sim,, that will use my REX4 Texture Direct/Soft Clouds/ Enhanced Edition texture settings.

Thanks, Dutch1

All I can personally recommend is Active Sky. If you're already using Rex texture direct/soft clouds I would personally hold on with REX Sky Force or Active Sky ASCA until you're absolutely sure you need a cloud replacement addon.

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

Active Sky 16 for Prepar3d P3Ev4 for me w/ REX Direct s/ w Soft Clouds seems to work perfectly- old enough to have all the bugs worked out and works just as expected / advertised.

Mark

Nothing beats AS at the moment plus it's on sale until 3rd Jan. In fact, all Hifi products currently are.

After following the Skyforce 3D debacle thread for the whole day and watching a few vids, I just bought ASCA for $16.

Edit : Just thought I should point out to you that you would need ASP3Dv4 for P3Dv4 and not AS16 as it won't work. Don't buy the wrong product.

I like Pilot's FS Global Real Weather aka FSGRW.  It's a very simple and easy to use weather engine that satisfies all my needs.  It's underrated in the fs community, but I love it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, curt1 said:

I like Pilot's FS Global Real Weather aka FSGRW.  It's a very simple and easy to use weather engine that satisfies all my needs.  It's underrated in the fs community, but I love it.

Same here.... I moved from AS/ASCA to FSGRW/REX4 and I’m very happy... My main complain with AS is that the sky is always full of CB and TCU even in a nice day with stratus clouds... too much eye candy and less realism.... just my 2 cents...

Intel i9 13900KS - MSI MEG Z790 ACE Gaming - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - Corsair 32GB DDR5 7200MHz Dominator Platinum RGB - Samsung 1TB + 3x 2TB 980 Pro M.2 SSD Raid 0 - LG 4K 55" OLED C1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 PSU - Virpil Constellation Alpha L & R Grips + MongoosT-50CM2 Grip + MongoosT-50CM2 Base + MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle + Control Panel #2 + Ace Collection Pedals - Honeycomb Alpha XPC + Bravo - Stream Deck XL + PLUS - Corsair K100 OPX RGB Platinum + Nightsword RGB + MM800 RGB Polaris + 7000D Airflow Black Case - Tobii Eye Tracker 5 using OpenTrack - Wharfedale Evo 4.2 Speakers - SVS SB-2000 Pro Subwoofer - Bluesound POWERNODE - Herman Miller Embody Chair Black - ButtKicker Gamer PRO

On 1/2/2018 at 11:29 PM, n99wb said:

I use fsxwx. It's free and worthy of a try.

Free fsxwx with skyforce3D looks great and works fine. 

Active Sky. It's the market leader and for a reason. Others can be interesting too but may lack options or are less supported (like for weather radars or flightplanners or ATC addons). If you want to be sure you're weather engine is constantly being held up to date, has all the options you want and is supported by other developers, get Active Sky.

50 minutes ago, J van E said:

Active Sky. It's the market leader and for a reason. Others can be interesting too but may lack options or are less supported (like for weather radars or flightplanners or ATC addons). If you want to be sure you're weather engine is constantly being held up to date, has all the options you want and is supported by other developers, get Active Sky.

there is nothing wrong with Skyforce-it is on par- so if you don't own it don't make a remark of "It's the market leader and for a reason" 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, kurtb said:

there is nothing wrong with Skyforce-it is on par- so if you don't own it don't make a remark of "It's the market leader and for a reason" 

How do you enjoy the stutters on weather reload ?, which Hifi Sim fixed years ago.

Active sky is the market leader by a very large margin, REX have been trying to  make a decent weather engine for years now, trust me I have bought all of them over the years going as far back as Weather Maker Pro in 2006 and they have never been able to compete with Hifi Sim products.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, kurtb said:

Active sky is miles better at this point.

REX has a "Weather Force" in development at the moment. I believe that would use a custom simconnect, so hopefully they can get closer to AS with that.

• Upvote 1

PC- AMD Ryzen 7800X3D, 64gb 6400mhz RAM, Nvidia RTX4090

Active Sky:

• No abrupt weather refreshes
  • More accurate global weather even over oceans
  • Smooth upper level wind transitions

SkyForce

• Much better looking clouds. 
  • More ominous looking weather in general

EDIT:  I have both. 

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

AS 16 is the gold standard. Anything else is a poor substitute. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310