Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

Conclusion on REX Sky Force after a day of testing.

18 minutes ago, Pineapple_Wizard said:

From what I have read, given that the REX weather engine has always been questionable, it seems SF3D is just a dressed up version of REX Texture Direct, which I even ditched for ENVTEX and ASCA quite some time ago. So far I haven't seen any strong evidence that SF3D is as amazing or is a huge improvement over TD/soft clouds to make me want to buy the product.

Good to know Pineapple, just let us all know when you can accomplish anything close to this without Sky Force. 

samplesf.png

• Upvote 3

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

52 minutes ago, timest said:

Good to know Pineapple, just let us all know when you can accomplish anything close to this without Sky Force. 

samplesf.png

Tim,

I hope you found my review do be fair. The product is new to me and if I’ve made any mistake I would be very happy for you to correct me as am only trying to inform my fellow simmers of your new product.

Also as I personally believe you are breaking new ground if I can help in any way I would be happy to do so. I always try to be truthful but always try to be far.

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, timest said:

samplesf.png

These images are why I bought it.  I haven't seen cloud formations like that with anything.

I have really wanted something that would load a thunderstorm front into the sim that would actually scare me like some of the wall clouds I see coming past my house. They look like they will eat you up and spit you out.

David,

Thanks for the very informative report on your SF observations.  If I can ask...what about your impressions of performance using SF combined with AS or anything else for that matter.  Historically any added complexity to cloud structures (# of layers or visual complexity) has resulted in a noticeable impact to fps, although REX states that they've put a lot of effort into optimizing for this in SF.

As you've noted that you have experience with most all of the related products, do you have any sense yet of whether performance is better, worse or about the same when utilizing SF in your sim?

Btw I've read through all the previous posts but if this was addressed earlier and I missed it, I apologize! 

Cheers, Kevin 

Kevin S

So let me get this straight.  A dev from REX took time out of his day to address Pineapple_Wizard's statement, but not address James' pertinent question of whether this new software dynamically injects cloud and sky textures into the sim based on time, location and the weather. Interesting to say the least.  

• Upvote 6

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

9 minutes ago, Kevlar01 said:

David,

Thanks for the very informative report on your SF observations.  If I can ask...what about your impressions of performance using SF combined with AS or anything else for that matter.  Historically any added complexity to cloud structures (# of layers or visual complexity) has resulted in a noticeable impact to fps, although REX states that they've put a lot of effort into optimizing for this in SF.

As you've noted that you have experience with most all of the related products, do you have any sense yet of whether performance is better, worse or about the same when utilizing SF in your sim?

Btw I've read through all the previous posts but if this was addressed earlier and I missed it, I apologize! 

Cheers, Kevin 

I might be able to answer this.  I have AS16/ASCA and I have it set to use the lowest resolution textures.  Skyforce seems to have slightly better performance using the highest DXT5 textures when using the SkyForce weather engine.  At least, that's my observation after two flights.  I haven't tried SkyForce Textures with AS16 yes, though, I suspect the performance would be pretty similar, though, it would be interesting to see results from someone willing to test. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

3 hours ago, timest said:

samplesf.png

Let us know when you can do any of this with Sky Force.   I have seen different streamers, as well as Youtube videos, and nobody has seen anything close to what these pictures are showing.  I have purchased many Rex products in the past (Overdrive, Texture Direct with Soft Clouds, Airports HD), but your response came off to me as very arrogant.  Users have come to this thread to get relevant information on the performance of this product for a potential purchase, and all you contributed was a copy and pasted sales pitch.  Your response has already made up my mind, and I will spend my hard earned money with another developer.

• Upvote 9

Alan

44 minutes ago, Kevlar01 said:

David,

Cheers, Kevin 

Hi Kevin.

Thank you for the kind comments. Please always remember all I am doing is sharing my findings. Just mine, always read as many others opinion as possible my opinions are worth nothing more than anyone else’s. I do try to be far and balanced that’s all I can do. It’s up to others how much weigh to give to my reports. 

To try an answer your question. As Gregg said above performance is great a little up on ASCA but that leads to answering about the clouds. IMO it’s a new level clouds are just more life like, but not every sky is breath taking just like real life. But one last thing, before I close the PC down I loaded SF up and clicked on the Random cloud option loaded up my EGNX and after the sky loaded, thought OMG! And that probably sums it up, hehe. It should eat more FPS as you feel you’re getting more bang for your bucks.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

54 minutes ago, DylanC said:

So let me get this straight.  A dev from REX took time out of his day to address Pineapple_Wizard's statement, but not address James' pertinent question of whether this new software dynamically injects cloud and sky textures into the sim based on time, location and the weather. Interesting to say the least.  

11 minutes ago, exeodus said:

Let us know when you can do any of this with Sky Force.   I have seen different streamers, as well as Youtube videos, and nobody has seen anything close to what these pictures are showing.  I have purchased many Rex products in the past (Overdrive, Texture Direct with Soft Clouds, Airports HD), but your response came off to me as very arrogant.  Users have come to this thread to get relevant information on the performance of this product for a potential purchase, and all you contributed was a copy and pasted sales pitch.  Your response has already made up my mind, and I will spend my hard earned money with another developer.

Guys my I surgest that after 3 years work Tim reacted to someone surgesting its was nothing more than we already have. Probably also put a lot of surrport hours in since release. Not saying he was right or wrong having come from AS and ASCA plus soft clouds to AS plus SF, just loading up you see the difference so perhaps Tim felt his comments without seeing SF on his PC was a little harsh.

Just a thought. Hopefully we can get back on topic.

David,

Okay thanks makes sense.  Yes I saw Gregg's response as well (thanks Gregg!) but it appears he was comparing SF engine/SF textures to AS/ASCA textures, which is also a useful thing to observe, while I think you've stated that you've been testing with AS/SF textures which is the scenario I was interested in from a performance standpoint (against AS/ASCA).

But hey, I realize we're all asking for hard evidence and conclusions after a whole ONE DAY of hand-on experience from you guys, which might be a tad unfair... :laugh:

I'm sure a lot of these questions will start getting filled in over the next several weeks.  Thanks again for posting your impressions!

Cheers, Kevin

• Upvote 1

Kevin S

I think it should be made clear to REX what most users want:

We want the weather as real as possible. How can we do this if we have to pick and choose from thousands of cloud types and structures? I might find a cloud type for right here right now, but if I fly 20 miles I have to stop, load the cloud type that I see and continue????

It does not make sense if I want to fly in real weather at all. 

It only makes sense for people who want set up a flight scenario of a certain cloud type/structure. I am sure there are people that do this, but my guesstimate is that these numbers are low.

Yes, it is super to have thousands of different 3D clouds, but I want the clouds that I see outside in real world AUTOMATICALLY injected.

Not random, not the once I picked, just the once that are really there or at least very close to it. Everything else is useless for 'real' weather flying for me.

So if they do this, without redraw, I am the first in line to pay a prime penny for it.

For now there is one important step missing, in my humble opinion of course.

Cheers.

• Upvote 3

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

Silicus,

In all fairness and, recognising that what you say is entirely relevant to a majority of simmers, I think singling out REX for that criticism is probably just a little unfair.

I would point out that I use REX for FS2004 and have no intention of buying REX for P3Dv4 until I can get that programme working to MY satisfaction (as stated many times before - using 6 monitors)

However, in the simple pursuit of the goals you have just outlined, is there ANY single programme which does all of these functions you mention brilliantly?  There is certainly nothing available with those standards for FS2004.

I do not believe that REX is misleading anyone regarding what it does and from what has been said here on this topic, and does very well.  As far as I can ascertain, REX is another version of weather programmes which may, or may not, be better. I cannot tell you otherwise nor can I make a qualified judgement.

In the meantime, may I respectfully suggest we keep the shale out of the mail and keep hoping/asking/pleading with the Devs for something, I too, would pay a prime penny for. 

By the way, this is a great thread and I thank all of the contributors.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Just want to share 3 shots from my current leg EGFF-EDDF with SF3D and AS16.

pjo2lx29.jpg
nphxopgg.jpg
l9fffkf5.jpg

Carsten U

1 minute ago, RTK1972 said:

Just want to share 3 shots from my current leg EGFF-EDDF with SF3D and AS16.

You may need a bigger monitor.  :)

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Just now, Gregg_Seipp said:

You may need a bigger monitor.  :)

oh dear. i am on it.. Sorry, give me a moment

Carsten U