Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Cargo ramp at EGMC (Southend)

I selected the cargo ramp at Southend airport (UK2000 demo) with an appropriately liveried plane which used to fly from there. Was this or is this the cargo ramp? A current chart doesn't seem to indicate this. Also note that this is the demo scenery from UK2000 so some structures may well be missing, but still, the old Connie looks rather cool IMHO.

2018-1-2_19-25-24-265.jpg

2018-1-2_19-25-12-539.jpg

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

That's the end of the old cross runway (now Taxiway F). I don't think (unless things have changed, and I know there has been a lot of development at Southend in the last few years) there's particularly any dedicated cargo facility at the airport at all. It's mainly Easyjet, Flybe and corporate/GA.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Simon. :cool: What started all this was that I'd got the A2A Connie for Christmas & went looking for repaints (as you do!). Ace Freighters did fly cargo in and out of Southend in 66 due to the docks strike. Got to love Wikipedia!). Not sure why UK2000 has that down as a cargo ramp (I've not asked them yet!)

Even when looking on google maps, that part of the airfield looks a little disused although at the time of the satellite image there were 3 146s parked just before the end.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/London+Southend+Airport/@51.5717464,0.6974146,1154m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x8671eda702b80f3b!8m2!3d51.5698197!4d0.7037369

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)