Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

Rex Airports HD and Texture Direct & P3D v4

Just a quick question - were these ever updated to be v4 compatible?  I can't find any documentation that states they have.  Simmarket just lists it as "prepar3d" but not with an actual version, their website seems to be lacking info as well.  Just wondering if I should waste my time reinstalling them or not.  I kinda forgot about them when v4 came out.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

1 hour ago, pegruder said:

Just a quick question - were these ever updated to be v4 compatible?  I can't find any documentation that states they have.  Simmarket just lists it as "prepar3d" but not with an actual version, their website seems to be lacking info as well.  Just wondering if I should waste my time reinstalling them or not.  I kinda forgot about them when v4 came out.

No, REX HD Airports was NOT updated to support P3D v4. And I completely agree with you that the REX website is vague about compatibility, probably deliberately so. That's why they constantly emphasize their "no refund" policy. Yes, if you search through all the tiny footnotes, you'll see that it's not listed as v4 compatible. But, as you say, the main ad -- and the blurb on other websites as well -- just says "supports P3D." Moreover, I purchased HD Airports under the explicit promise that the program would be made compatible with v4. Otherwise, I wouldn't have wasted my money. But REX appears to have abandoned the project altogether now and provides only glib, evasive responses to any inquiry about HD Airports. They claim that the code has been updated to 64-bit but the graphics haven't been updated to 64-bit yet. I don't understand the eternal delay. Perhaps REX has been utilizing all its free time to produce the new, revolutionary, super-duper, breakthrough-technology, miracle-working Sky Force. But I shouldn't be too critical. One never knows what personal tragedies may be occurring in the lives of their coders.

• Upvote 4

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

6 minutes ago, David Mills said:

No, REX HD Airports was NOT updated to support P3D v4

Not yet.  REX has a long and regular update post on their forum about that.  They are working on it.  They have listed the reasons and understandably there are work to be done.  They have not broken any promise yet but asked all of their customers to be patient.  So far they have updated SC and texture direct for v4 and there is no reason to say otherwise.  P3Dv4 is big change and is only out less than a year.  To the OP, if you are registered with their forum, you can follow along the updates.  The product clearly indicates only up to v3 is supported, so if you only use v4, you should not have bought it.  I can understand the frustration but to disperse misinformation is unwarranted.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

1 hour ago, pegruder said:

I see that you are still use 3.4 just like I do.  V4 version is not available yet, but you know that by now.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

12 minutes ago, Anxu00 said:

They have not broken any promise yet but asked all of their customers to be patient.

REX originally promised release of a v4-compatible update to HD Airports five months ago. So, yes, they have broken promises. In fact, I've never known REX to release anything at all on time, as promised. It's always something. . .

• Upvote 2

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

And they also promised "enhanced airports".  They've released exactly one: KSLC.  

KDCA has been "in development" since 4 DEC 16.

They also insinuated that many more were to follow:

"There are a number of airports within the simulator that were originally developed containing custom terminal graphics. Although these airports will now globally benefit from REX Worldwide Airports HD, some terminal textures will not be affected. We are re-developing these airports with proper detail and customized textures throughout, and as they become available we will update this area."

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, David Mills said:

REX originally promised release of a v4-compatible update to HD Airports five months ago. So, yes, they have broken promises. In fact, I've never known REX to release anything at all on time, as promised. It's always something. . .

I never read anything to any date estimate as a promise.  It's an estimate period, if you read their words carefully.  They were too optimistic, underestimated the work and missed the date.  As long as they don't explicitly state that they had stopped all development, I will just leave it at that.  The same reason PMDG never release any date, nor Flight1 or MilViz or EagleSoft.  Software development is fraught with unanticipated delays.  Customers vote with their wallet.  REX also deserves some credit on getting their Texture Direct and SC updated quickly for V4, so it means they work as fast as they can. I guess I am more tolerant than others.  Someday I will be completely on V4, currently I use mostly v3, no OOM at all because I stay away from problematic add-ons, save money as well.  Beside the same problematic add-ons, while no longer cause OOM in V4, still perform poorly.  I like my eye candies, but not when it is given to me as slide show!  I am patiently waiting for REX Airports HD, so that I can get rid of all the sub-rate wannabe airports sceneries out there.:anonymose:

Vu Pham

Thanks for all the replies everyone.  

On 1/2/2018 at 9:45 PM, Anxu00 said:

Not yet.  REX has a long and regular update post on their forum about that.  They are working on it.  They have listed the reasons and understandably there are work to be done.  They have not broken any promise yet but asked all of their customers to be patient.  So far they have updated SC and texture direct for v4 and there is no reason to say otherwise.  P3Dv4 is big change and is only out less than a year.  To the OP, if you are registered with their forum, you can follow along the updates.  The product clearly indicates only up to v3 is supported, so if you only use v4, you should not have bought it.  I can understand the frustration but to disperse misinformation is unwarranted.

Thanks, it wasn't my favorite addon so I dont mind waiting, it just happened to be the last addon I purchased and since v4 came out obviously cant use it.  As much as I'd like to stay in the loop on their forums I just can't keep track of them all anymore.  I wish everyone just paid avsim and this became the one stop shop for all things flight sim.  Trying to keep track on FSL, flight 1 forums, xplane.org, I cant keep up lol.  I want to make a post in the rex forums about using SF3D with AS for P3d v4 to see what you lose by not using their weather engine, but I dont have the energy to do so so Ill wait until the info trickles down to here lol.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Hard to stay patient for me. The addon made some default airports palatable and I was more than happy to try new destinations. IMO, it's been quite a while and furthermore, they give no ETA for the update nor any other pertinent details (pricing for upgrade, any updates to the released program, etc..) While I do understand that they can work on more than one product concurrently, my perception (speaking only for myself), is that the update to v4 has been placed in the low priority bin while they put out more products (Sky Force, upcoming Environment Force, etc...). If I would have known these things, I would've saved my dollars... 

• Upvote 1

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

I've installed it into P3D v4.1 by pointing it to the sim.Seems to work fine as far as I can see,Make a backup first through the interface

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jothanon said:

I've installed it into P3D v4.1 by pointing it to the sim.Seems to work fine as far as I can see,Make a backup first through the interface

May have to give this a shot.  We'll see how it goes.  Since its a snow day I'd like to just enjoy the sim instead of tinkering today.  Well see if Im feelin froggy later but seems simple enough.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

19 hours ago, jothanon said:

I did that also but then uninstalled it. It more or less works in V4, but some textures do not display properly. The reasons for this have been discussed on AVSim previously.

On 1/3/2018 at 2:02 PM, David Mills said:

so  other  addons  always  are  released on  time  or  is  it  only  rex?

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

ok - I think this has run it's course. Opinions have been voiced which is fine, however no need to belabor the point.

REX updates the status of product delivery frequently - just check their forum.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

On 03/01/2018 at 2:24 AM, David Mills said:

I purchased HD Airports under the explicit promise that the program would be made compatible with v4. Otherwise, I wouldn't have wasted my money.

And this is why you never buy any software on the basis of promised future capability. I keep seeing posts like this and I find it incredibly frustrating; you should always base your purchasing decision on the current state of the product after reading some reviews, because once firms have your money there is no need for them to hurry anything along. Frankly if you do anything else you take your chances and if it backfires then more fool you. Promises can be broken (although not always intentionally), and have been many times in the past by FS developers.

That's not a stab at REX as they may come good, it's a general observation for all software purchases made from any developer.

• Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg